Author Topic: Expos Throwback Day  (Read 3888 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Expos Throwback Day
« Reply #25: June 26, 2019, 02:40:51 PM »
People were asked what they think. People replied, many of whom had generations of baseball taken away from the nation's capital largely because of clown show MLB executive policies and are more than a little tired of machinations from same. Wanting to prioritize a long history going forward in the area where it happened is more than reasonable.

I'll go back to the Ravens and Cleveland example. Cleveland prioritized keeping the history in the city where the fans were who felt a special affinity. In like manner, Baltimore focuses on its own history despite the current franchise itself being elsewhere pre-mid 1990s.

I know the Expos post-move have had events at the Bell Centre, and the locals there are able to appreciate it. I stood and clapped respectfully for 5-10 minute commemoration events at Nats Park related to Andre Dawson and Gary Carter, but I think historical events make much more sense and carry much more meaning and significance in the area where the people played their home game.

Even a spring training game where the Québécois snow birds could see pros sporting the unis makes more sense than a full Expos day in DC. They could do it so that people from Montreal also could see that on TV just as readily as they could a regular season game. (If one of my teams moved, I'd likely be more irked by it than anything.)

People can think and feel what they want, that goes without saying. But It just seems weird to me how opposed some fans are here when they are the ones who got the team. If people in Montreal were pissed, that would be more understandable.
Like I said before, this would be like the Dodgers disavowing Jackie Robinson because they want to leave the old city behind.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: June 26, 2019, 02:49:07 PM »

Like I said before, this would be like the Dodgers disavowing Jackie Robinson because they want to leave the old city behind.

:crackup:

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: June 26, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
a throwback day that doesn't have a guest appearance from elijah dukes is a waste of time

only real nats fans will remember how everyone got hyped for a little bit by elijah dukes in 2008

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #28: June 26, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »
You're not even kidding, dawg.

a throwback day that doesn't have a guest appearance from elijah dukes is a waste of time

only real nats fans will remember how everyone got hyped for a little bit by elijah dukes in 2008

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: June 26, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
If LA had previously had three major league teams before the Dodgers arrived, they might feel differently about a Brooklyn Dodgers throwback day.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #30: June 26, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Some of the Elijah Dukes love from a couple of posters would have made a NAMBLA blush. 

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #31: June 26, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »
Love it.  I only became an Expos fan because they were my first tee ball team when I was 5 and I thought I should be a fan of the real team.  For some reason our uniforms were navy, which was weird.  That was in 1989.  The Expos had a ton of talent in the early and mid 90s...and sadly they traded most all of them away due to their small budget.  They were like 8 games up on the Braves when they ended the 1993 season due to the strike.  That team was LOADED.  The Braves on TBS and the Cubs on WGN were basically the only chances I'd get to see the Expos.  Now I can watch them on MLB.TV on my phone...such a different time. 

« Reply #32: June 26, 2019, 03:07:58 PM »

I was hyped for his "potential."  Wasn't that at the same time we acquired Milton Bradley?  The "toolsy" OFs.  Didn't we also pick up Willy Mo Pena from the Reds or did I dream that?  The power hitting OF.  I'm going to choose not to Google that and just think out loud.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #33: June 26, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
We picked up Wily Mo Pena in the summer of 2007 and he hit .293/.352/.504 (124 OPS+) with 8 HRs & 22 RBI over his 37 games with us that year. Everyone got cised for him and then the next year he OPS'd .502 and was cut and out of MLB for 3 years.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #34: June 26, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
We picked up Wily Mo Pena in the summer of 2007 and he hit .293/.352/.504 (124 OPS+) with 8 HRs & 22 RBI over his 37 games with us that year. Everyone got cised for him and then the next year he OPS'd .502 and was cut and out of MLB for 3 years.

It's crazy to look at the list of MLB players who's careers ended after getting cut by the Nats in the 2007-2011 window.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: June 26, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
It's crazy to look at the list of MLB players who's careers ended after getting cut by the Nats in the 2007-2011 window.

I remember reading a stat that the 2009(?) Nats had players for which that was their last stop than any team since WWII.

Offline nationals28

« Reply #36: June 26, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »
The Expos had a strong tradition of squandering talent and then trading it away right before it got great.

Larry Walker
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Vladimir Guerrero
Rondell White
Moises Alou
Andres Galaraga
Cliff Floyd
Carl Pavano
Kirk Rueter
Marquis Grissom
Delino DeShields
Andre Dawson

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #37: June 26, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »
The Expos had a strong tradition of squandering talent and then trading it away right before it got great.

Larry Walker
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Vladimir Guerrero
Rondell White
Moises Alou
Andres Galaraga
Cliff Floyd
Carl Pavano
Kirk Rueter
Marquis Grissom
Delino DeShields
Andre Dawson

They managed to get the best out of Tim Raines...

« Reply #38: June 26, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »

Larry Walker
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Vladimir Guerrero
Rondell White
Moises Alou
Andres Galaraga
Cliff Floyd
Carl Pavano
Kirk Rueter
Marquis Grissom
Delino DeShields
Andre Dawson

This is ridiculous.  They cultivated players that were GREAT for them, and only traded them when they no longer were under team control and were hitting free agency.  Most all of those guys enjoyed their best and prime years with the Expos. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #39: June 26, 2019, 04:59:16 PM »
They managed to get the best out of Tim Raines...

Nats legend!

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #40: June 26, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »

Offline trangert418

• Quit Clowning Around
« Reply #41: June 26, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »
So this is going to be the 1st game ever between the Royals & Expos.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #42: June 27, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
Royals were 4 games back at the time of the '94 strike, so yeah probably wouldn't have happened that year. 

Offline carlosdelvaca

« Reply #43: June 27, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »
<--- wearing an Expos jersey in his profile picture
Apparently I'm one of the few who's into this. I'm already going to three games next week, though, so I'm not going out of my way for it.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #44: June 27, 2019, 09:37:13 AM »
When and where can I buy these jerseys.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #45: June 27, 2019, 10:00:44 AM »
I think it's cool. They put up Expos on the ring of honor, not sure why it took a defense of IP to make an Expos jersey cash grab.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #46: June 27, 2019, 12:20:56 PM »

Larry Walker
Pedro Martinez
Randy Johnson
Vladimir Guerrero
Rondell White
Moises Alou
Andres Galaraga
Cliff Floyd
Carl Pavano
Kirk Rueter
Marquis Grissom
Delino DeShields
Andre Dawson

Most guys on that list became good/great while playing for the Expos.

Pedro won a Cy Young as an Expo, Guerrero cemented his HOF career in Montreal, Dawson same, Grissom's best years were in Montreal, Walker and Alou were All-Stars in Montreal, Carl Pavano and Rueter... not even sure why they made this list,  DeShields best years were as an Expo, Galarraga was a star with the Expos, Rondell and Cliff Floyd are examples of how great the Expos farm system was they both were All Stars as Expos.

The only guy on that list that left Montreal and *then* became great was Randy Johnson who was sent to the Mariners in a trade involving Mark Langston. It even took him a few years in Seattle to work out his control issues but then the rest of course is history.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #47: June 27, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
But It just seems weird to me how opposed some fans are here when they are the ones who got the team. If people in Montreal were pissed, that would be more understandable.

This. I'm torn by the whole Exposes connection thing but I would be interested to find out how Montrealers feel about this while Expos day. Maybe they think they will get another Expos team one day and want to keep the legacy to themselves?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #48: June 27, 2019, 12:56:57 PM »
This. I'm torn by the whole Exposes connection thing but I would be interested to find out how Montrealers feel about this while Expos day. Maybe they think they will get another Expos team one day and want to keep the legacy to themselves?

How would you have felt in 2004 if the Rangers had a Washington Senators day?  The vomit in my mouth at that thought answers the question for me. 

Offline expos1994

« Reply #49: June 27, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
I think DC Fans have so much apathy for Expos/Nats fans because they were gifted a team with a fairly rich history and they have no memories of it and no ties to it. They just basically inherited the final roster/farm system of that team. They don't like to think of the Nationals as a continuation of the Expos... rather it's their own fresh thing. So I can kind of see it. Expos fans will always be true OG Nats fans. And I think that bothers DC people who've supported the team since Day 1 in 2005.

I think most teams who moved and became another team feel the same way. The Twins and Rangers come to mind.

The Dodgers are different. The kept their name, their colors, the only thing that changed was the B on the hat became LA. And it was so long ago.

Eventually the Expos will become a distant memory. A trivial pursuit question that only real historians get right. Probably happen sooner ff Montreal ever gets another team, which I doubt. Or when Washington actually wins a freaking playoff series.