Author Topic: Expos Throwback Day  (Read 3948 times)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Expos Throwback Day
« Topic Start: June 26, 2019, 10:03:01 AM »
On July 6 the Nats are doing an Expos throwback day complete with the powder-blue uniforms, the Expos logo on the scoreboard, special food offerings and a tribute to former Expos players including Vladimir Guerrero who will be in attendance. Sounds kind of cool. Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/26/washington-nationals-wear-expos-throwbacks-july/?utm_term=.d58d6328e363

Online Five Banners

Re: Expos Throwback Day
« Reply #1: June 26, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
Should be saved for the exhibition season and done before the fanbase that will appreciate it, but MLB likes its gimmicks, as evidenced by the ridiculous franchise split idea being hoisted by another commissioner evidently suffering from lack of perspective.

Leaving the Expos history up there and keeping historical celebrations here to the much longer history the team has with the Senators (and Grays) continues to make more and more sense.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: June 26, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »
Seeing Nationals legend Vladimir Guerrero return to DC will be unforgettable. The image of Vlad crushing dongs in front of the DC faithful is something everyone remembers. Iconic.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #3: June 26, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
On July 6 the Nats are doing an Expos throwback day complete with the powder-blue uniforms, the Expos logo on the scoreboard, special food offerings and a tribute to former Expos players including Vladimir Guerrero who will be in attendance. Sounds kind of cool. Thoughts?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/06/26/washington-nationals-wear-expos-throwbacks-july/?utm_term=.d58d6328e363

Dumb, this team is the Nats. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #4: June 26, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
Seeing Nationals legend Vladimir Guerrero return to DC will be unforgettable. The image of Vlad crushing dongs in front of the DC faithful is something everyone remembers. Iconic.

:lmao: right?  soooo dumb. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: June 26, 2019, 10:49:49 AM »
Screw you, I'm stoked  :P

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #6: June 26, 2019, 10:54:34 AM »
I'm not standing for Oh Canada.

Offline Steve Rogers

« Reply #7: June 26, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »
Should be saved for the exhibition season and done before the fanbase that will appreciate it, but MLB likes its gimmicks, as evidenced by the ridiculous franchise split idea being hoisted by another commissioner evidently suffering from lack of perspective.

Leaving the Expos history up there and keeping historical celebrations here to the much longer history the team has with the Senators (and Grays) continues to make more and more sense.

But the team has ZERO history with the Senators....None.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: June 26, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
Going to be awkward that people like Tim Raines are both in the Nationals ring of honor and also in the Expos ring of honor when MLB inevitably gifts them a team again because there's a bunch of OWG baseball writers with nostalgia.

Of course Nationals legend Pudge Rodriguez is transcendent.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #9: June 26, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
I never expected this, but it's kind of cool. Hopefully they sing "O Canada" and they sing it in French. Caps anthem singer Bob McDonald knows the lyrics. (I do too, but nobody wants to hear me sing!)

I'd like to go to this, maybe use our tickets from last Tuesday's rainout. Don't know if I'll be able to make it, though.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #10: June 26, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »

Thanks for the warning.  I was considering going to that game.  Now I have to find something else to do.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #11: June 26, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »
This is awesome. I loved the Expos. And I love the Nationals. And there was no overlap for me. The Vlad Guerrero era ended and the Zimmerman Era began. And Jose Vidro was there during the transition along with a group of others. This current team morphed from the Expos into the Nationals. They have their own identity now and it's 100% Washington Nationals. But it's nice they're doing this throwback. Plus those powder blue unis are awesome.

I think it's great they're doing a tribute. The Expos didn't accomplish much in their history as far as trophies and pennants go... but a lot of great ball players came and went through that system over 30+ years. The last MLB player drafted by the Expos in 2004 was Ian Desmond.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: June 26, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
This is a team that had a Cat-urday promotion for crying out loud. And a Star Wars Day. And people think this is dumb? There are Nats fans who are fans purely because of their tie to the Expos. On this board. They may not be you, but one game out of 82 seems like a small sacrifice.

I don't care about Frank Howard and Walter Johnson. And I am sure I am not the only one. They have less tie to this franchise than the Expos, honestly. But I am certainly not going to begrudge the folks who do care about it the opportunity to enjoy it when the Nats honor those players.

This could be fun. I'll go if I'm in town.

Offline machpost

« Reply #13: June 26, 2019, 11:47:14 AM »
Seems like a slap in the fact to Expos fans who lost their team. Quoting an Expos fan from the Post article: “It’s like you being friends with a guy who’s now sleeping with your ex. And now they invite you to the wedding, and your kids are ushers or bridesmaids or flower girls. It doesn’t work like that. It’s very difficult to digest.”

The Nationals organization likes to screw their fans, so maybe it's appropriate.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #14: June 26, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »

Wasn't dave an Expo?

Offline Terps and Nats

• Wake me when the Braves series is over
« Reply #15: June 26, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »
How about we just have a throwback to when the team didn't suck?  Get some bullpen help and anyone else to manage.  I bet some people will buy tickets for that.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: June 26, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
Are they going to offer the pinwheel hats?

• babble on
« Reply #17: June 26, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
Now, THAT was cool  :pimp:
This is a team that had a Cat-urday promotion for crying out loud.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #18: June 26, 2019, 01:17:19 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that shortly after the Rays announce a plan to play games in Montreal, the Nationals announce an Expos throwback day?

Are the Nationals protecting their right to the Expos trademark? Did the trademark come with the team in the purchase? Or did it revert to ownership by MLB?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #19: June 26, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
Dumb. This isn't the Expos and we shouldn't want to be anything like them.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #20: June 26, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
I went to a Texas Rangers game one time just because I was in town and it happened to be Senators throwback day. I enjoyed it. I see no harm. No reason to be insecure about where the Nationals came from.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #21: June 26, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »
:clap:

How about we just have a throwback to when the team didn't suck?  Get some bullpen help and anyone else to manage.  I bet some people will buy tickets for that.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #22: June 26, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »
It's better than cat-urday, but still a strange idea.  No real harm, though.

Online Five Banners

« Reply #23: June 26, 2019, 01:46:55 PM »
This is a team that had a Cat-urday promotion for crying out loud. And a Star Wars Day. And people think this is dumb? There are Nats fans who are fans purely because of their tie to the Expos. On this board. They may not be you, but one game out of 82 seems like a small sacrifice.

I don't care about Frank Howard and Walter Johnson. And I am sure I am not the only one. They have less tie to this franchise than the Expos, honestly.

People were asked what they think. People replied, many of whom had generations of baseball taken away from the nation's capital largely because of clown show MLB executive policies and are more than a little tired of machinations from same. Wanting to prioritize a long history going forward in the area where it happened is more than reasonable.

I'll go back to the Ravens and Cleveland example. Cleveland prioritized keeping the history in the city where the fans were who felt a special affinity. In like manner, Baltimore focuses on its own history despite the current franchise itself being elsewhere pre-mid 1990s.

I know the Expos post-move have had events at the Bell Centre, and the locals there are able to appreciate it. I stood and clapped respectfully for 5-10 minute commemoration events at Nats Park related to Andre Dawson and Gary Carter, but I think historical events make much more sense and carry much more meaning and significance in the area where the people played their home game.

Even a spring training game where the Québécois snow birds could see pros sporting the unis makes more sense than a full Expos day in DC. They could do it so that people from Montreal also could see that on TV just as readily as they could a regular season game. (If one of my teams moved, I'd likely be more irked by it than anything.)

• babble on
« Reply #24: June 26, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »
Every day is Cat-urday
It's better than cat-urday, but still a strange idea.  No real harm, though.