Author Topic: Nats Park new backpack policy  (Read 4281 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Nats Park new backpack policy
« Reply #25: February 01, 2019, 10:17:49 PM »
Can’t you valet your helmet with your bike?
typically I don't valet. I Cabi. I am not locking a bike.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #26: February 02, 2019, 05:33:31 AM »
So is this a safety issue or an issue of backpacks getting in the way of fans getting in/out of seats ?

Offline wj73

« Reply #27: February 02, 2019, 07:38:16 AM »
typically I don't valet. I Cabi. I am not locking a bike.

We used to regularly use CaBi and valet our helmets, even though we weren’t valeting a bike. The folks at the bike valet were fine with just storing the helmet. This was a few years ago so I don’t know if they’d be willing to do that now. But it was really convenient not to have to carry a couple of bulky bike helmets around all game.

Offline machpost

« Reply #28: February 02, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
I can understand the need for some to carry a big backpack into the park, but personally I'm thrilled that I won't have to wait in line while security checks all 27 pockets in someone's five gallon backpack. They really should have lockers or a bag check though. Don't they do this at Audi Field? It's hard to believe they aren't considering this, since they'd be able to make money from it.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #29: February 02, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
Though backpacks may be banned Marc Lerner has assured concerned fans that Sherpas are still welcome and alpacas may be parked at the various bike racks  ajoining Nats Park

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #30: February 02, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
Though backpacks may be banned Marc Lerner has assured concerned fans that Sherpas are still welcome and alpacas may be parked at the various bike racks  ajoining Nats Park

After a little more time to consider the issue I am a bit concerned that my sack won't fit the size requirements.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #31: February 02, 2019, 10:06:24 PM »
Food still allowed. Water still allowed. It's a three hour tour. A three hour tour. No need for bulky backpacks.

Does anybody know if you can bring food into the what was the Wizards/Caps arena?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: February 02, 2019, 10:16:11 PM »
Food still allowed. Water still allowed. It's a three hour tour. A three hour tour. No need for bulky backpacks.

Does anybody know if you can bring food into the what was the Wizards/Caps arena?

officially it's not allowed, but we carried some granola bars, small water bottles, and skittles in our pockets into our last game and it didn't set off the metal detectors.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #33: February 03, 2019, 07:19:42 AM »
I'm a man.  I do not carry a bag. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #34: February 03, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
Exceptions for diaper backpacks “may be made”, will the exception be granted? :lol:

No diaper backpack = no family visits to the park this year.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #35: February 03, 2019, 07:50:56 AM »
I'm a man.  I do not carry a bag. 

Agreed, unless it's a cooler with beers hidden under the ice.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #36: February 03, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
officially it's not allowed, but we carried some granola bars, small water bottles, and skittles in our pockets into our last game and it didn't set off the metal detectors.

Food and sealed water bottles are allowed at Nats Park. I often bring a small backpack with water bottles and peanuts and room to pick up bobble heads and such. I should be able to switch to a string pack without too much trouble.

People who bring in huge bags filled with all kinds of gear is why we can’t have nice things.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #37: February 03, 2019, 11:02:17 AM »

Thanks. Going to Caps this Thursday.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #38: February 03, 2019, 11:31:50 AM »

I forgot to mention I was listening to a Ted Leonsis interview on WTOP the other day. At the end of the interview Leonsis answered questions sent in from listeners. The second question was "has there been any thought on lowering the food prices". Leonsis just said "no". The WTOP guy asked him to elaborate and he just said they looked at the prices and think they're fair. I got a chuckle when his answer was just "no".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #39: February 03, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »

What about non-bulky backpacks?  I've yet to see a definition of what is meant by "backpack" versus other container.  Does the mere presence of a second shoulder strap make it a backpack?  Does cutting one of the two straps off make it compliant?   If so, how the hell does that make anyone safer?    :rant:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #40: February 03, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
What about non-bulky backpacks?  I've yet to see a definition of what is meant by "backpack" versus other container.  Does the mere presence of a second shoulder strap make it a backpack?  Does cutting one of the two straps off make it compliant?   If so, how the hell does that make anyone safer?    :rant:

Quit being difficult and get a bag of some sorts that has handles on it instead of should straps.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: February 03, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #42: February 03, 2019, 01:59:58 PM »
I forgot to mention I was listening to a Ted Leonsis interview on WTOP the other day. At the end of the interview Leonsis answered questions sent in from listeners. The second question was "has there been any thought on lowering the food prices". Leonsis just said "no". The WTOP guy asked him to elaborate and he just said they looked at the prices and think they're fair. I got a chuckle when his answer was just "no".

haha.  Well, to be fair, how common is it for a venue or team to lower their concession prices from year to year?  I could maybe see it if the demand at Capital One Arena was approaching nil, but I don’t think that’s the case.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #43: February 09, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
Fair to who? And when does fair have anything to do with pricing?
If he did lower prices he might see gross sales increase

Offline machpost

« Reply #44: February 09, 2019, 04:33:15 PM »
If he did lower prices he might see gross sales increase
I, for one, would buy far more beers at Nats Park if they were $5. I refuse to buy more than one at the current ridiculous prices. F 'em.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #45: February 09, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
I, for one, would buy far more beers at Nats Park if they were $5. I refuse to buy more than one at the current ridiculous prices. F 'em.

I get those flasks made for backpackers and tuck one into each sock and secure it with boot bands. I can get an entire liter of booze into the park (.5 liter per sock, more if I want to use my back pockets or waistband).

Offline blue911

« Reply #46: February 09, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
I've never had them check to see if my water bottle was open. Easily over 100 times and not once. So why go covert?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #47: February 09, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
I've never had them check to see if my water bottle was open. Easily over 100 times and not once. So why go covert?

uh, they might find my brown "water" a bit suspicious, don't you think?     :roll:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #48: February 09, 2019, 06:58:45 PM »
Hmmmm .... is a decompression needle going to be an issue?

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #49: February 09, 2019, 09:19:45 PM »
uh, they might find my brown "water" a bit suspicious, don't you think?     :roll:

It is more fun sneaking booze in. Your local Spencer Gifts is loaded with covert alcahol tools