22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 123311 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Re: POLL: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....
« Reply #752: December 14, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »
Think this is a set up to take less money/years,   i.e. save face?

I hope so...it'll sure be easy to smell...

Online Mattionals

« Reply #753: December 14, 2018, 11:17:25 PM »
I hope so...it'll sure be easy to smell...

If the Dodgers move Puig, Bryce probably gets full value at the same deal the Nats floated, but it will have opt outs.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #754: December 14, 2018, 11:34:36 PM »
Think this is a set up to take less money/years,   i.e. save face?
It may have been that his whole strategy may have been to try to get the best deal he could to go to the Dodgers, he had no genuine interest in going to a place like Phil/CWS, and if LA didn't work out, he has a lucrative contract to fall back on here.   I don't buy that getting the biggest contract ever is his only focus.  He probably cares more about a baseball legacy.  He wants to position himself to win championships.  I'm sure he wants to win individual awards too, but he strikes me as a guy who wants to win it all.

His ties to Las Vegas still seem strong, and it seems very likely LA could be a strong first choice for a lot of reasons.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #755: December 14, 2018, 11:55:01 PM »
It may have been that his whole strategy may have been to try to get the best deal he could to go to the Dodgers, he had no genuine interest in going to a place like Phil/CWS, and if LA didn't work out, he has a lucrative contract to fall back on here.   I don't buy that getting the biggest contract ever is his only focus.  He probably cares more about a baseball legacy.  He wants to position himself to win championships.  I'm sure he wants to win individual awards too, but he strikes me as a guy who wants to win it all.

His ties to Las Vegas still seem strong, and it seems very likely LA could be a strong first choice for a lot of reasons.

Mark seemed to indicate there may not be a deal to fall back on here...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #756: December 15, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #757: December 15, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/Chris_Camello/status/1074040755918843904?s=19
Regarding Bryce, my sources said there was an internal rumor within organization that #Dodgers have an agreement reached with Harper but it’s still not confirmed. I’m working to see what’s going on, but nothing confirmed or official yet

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #758: December 16, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »

Offline CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #759: December 17, 2018, 03:16:22 PM »
I keep seeing reasons why he won't sign with all these other teams...

Makes me think at the end of the day something is going to be worked out with the Nats.  I know nobody is predicting that, but I don't think he's going to quite get what he hopes for elsewhere and he'll go back to what is familar. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #760: December 17, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/Chris_Camello/status/1074040755918843904?s=19

"my buddy in ticket sales said his buddy in stadium ops said he saw harper wearing a dodgers jersey during his team meeting last month"

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #761: December 17, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
I keep seeing reasons why he won't sign with all these other teams...

Makes me think at the end of the day something is going to be worked out with the Nats.  I know nobody is predicting that, but I don't think he's going to quite get what he hopes for elsewhere and he'll go back to what is familar.

:funny:

« Reply #762: December 17, 2018, 04:49:33 PM »
:funny:

Pretty easy to be a smart@ss about it when there are about a dozen other clubs he could end up with.  What is your prediction?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #763: December 17, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »
Pretty easy to be a smart@ss about it when there are about a dozen other clubs he could end up with.  What is your prediction?

That he ends up elsewhere...that seems pretty clear.  I really don't care where he goes...but there's nothing that tells me he'll be back here next year.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #764: December 17, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »
The face-saving deal is one with a signing bonus and an opt out.  Suppose it were $28MM a year for 12 years. That tops Stanton's total contract.  Add in a $10MM bonus and an opt out after 4.  That gives him over $30MM for 4 years prior to the opt out.  If he's good and there's inflation, then he takes the opt out and can bump up the last few years to $30MM, maybe.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #765: December 17, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »
"my buddy in ticket sales said his buddy in stadium ops said he saw harper wearing a dodgers jersey during his team meeting last month"

talk about hearsay!...

...let's follow up that stuff with some serious conjecture -- After laying rotten eggs for 3 1/2 months, Mr. Harper hit the juice for the remainder of the season in order to maximize marketability in his walk year.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #766: December 17, 2018, 09:17:52 PM »
talk about hearsay!...

...let's follow up that stuff with some serious conjecture -- After laying rotten eggs for 3 1/2 months, Mr. Harper hit the juice for the remainder of the season in order to maximize marketability in his walk year.

talk about hearsay!...

Oh. I had thought that was a joke...

Online Mattionals

« Reply #767: December 18, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »
At this point I'd be very surprised if it wasn't the Dodgers. If I had to pick where I'd like to see him end up, it's:

1. White Sox
2. Any other AL team that isn't Baltimore
3. Dodgers
4. Any other NL team that isn't in the East or St. Louis
5. Cardinals
6. Marlins
7. Baltimore
8. Braves
9. Mets
10. Phillies

I just could not stand him going to Philadelphia, especially since I only live an hour north. The fans would be absolutely incessant if he signs there. Also, if they whiff on Corbin, Harper, and Machado, it will make me very happy. So far, Cutch and Segura aren't moving them into being more competitive, and Kapler is still their manager. Mets and Braves look like very tough teams, but Philly looks like a .500 club again right now.

« Reply #768: December 18, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »
That he ends up elsewhere...that seems pretty clear.  I really don't care where he goes...but there's nothing that tells me he'll be back here next year.

There also is nothing coming from any teams supposedly favored to land him that indicates they are likely either.  The Yankees have enough OF.  The Cubs aren't adding another mega contract.  The Dodgers won't give him the years he wants.  I don't think Harper wants to leave the Nats for the Phillies.  Playing in LA, or Wrigley, or for the Pinstripes...yes that is enticing.  I think the Phillies serve as nothing more than to drive his price up.  If he goes elsewhere, that's fine.  We are still building a good team without him.  I just see him not getting the offers he wants from the teams he wants and instead he comes back to DC with some opt outs so in a few years perhaps he can get his chance to play in one of those other cities he covets. 

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #769: December 18, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
There also is nothing coming from any teams supposedly favored to land him that indicates they are likely either.  The Yankees have enough OF.  The Cubs aren't adding another mega contract.  The Dodgers won't give him the years he wants.  I don't think Harper wants to leave the Nats for the Phillies.  Playing in LA, or Wrigley, or for the Pinstripes...yes that is enticing.  I think the Phillies serve as nothing more than to drive his price up.  If he goes elsewhere, that's fine.  We are still building a good team without him.  I just see him not getting the offers he wants from the teams he wants and instead he comes back to DC with some opt outs so in a few years perhaps he can get his chance to play in one of those other cities he covets. 
I agree with pretty much all of that.  He's probably pondering a 3-4 year deal in LA, a 350m deal in Philly, or 300-325 to stay here.  Not sure which he picks if those are the options.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #770: December 18, 2018, 08:15:48 PM »
Heard a rumor going around on Reddit that Harper to the Dodgers is a done deal but hasn’t been anounced.

The guy who said it apparently posted Bour to the Angels 10 hours before it happened.

Doesn’t mean this is true, but something to keep an eye on. If he picks Dodgers, it’s probably to be closer to Vegas. Enjoy that ridiculous contract, Dodgers. Unfortunately, they don’t care. Baseball needs a salary cap like the other sports.

@InsideBoost

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #771: December 18, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
@InsideBoost

I think it was Insane Boost?

As in INSANE freakING BOOST!    :lol:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #772: December 18, 2018, 09:25:34 PM »
@InsideBoost
I think it was Insane Boost?

As in INSANE freakING BOOST!    :lol:

INSANE freakING BOAST

He trolled everyone again

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #773: December 19, 2018, 06:35:45 PM »
Please, Bryce, sign with another MLB team that I dislike....

It's a 50/50 proposition, I know.  But personally, I'd rather root against your hotdogging arse than for you.

If you somehow re-sign with the Nats, I can maybe find a way to root for you.  But that would involve putting condoms over my tv, modem, router, Roku, keyboard, monitor, eyes, and fingers.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #774: December 19, 2018, 06:52:41 PM »
Philly. I want to see Philly sign him