22 (41.5%)
Padres
2 (3.8%)
D'backs
1 (1.9%)
White Sox
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: POLL: UPDATED: Bryce's team in 2019 will be.....  (Read 126450 times)

Offline UMDNats

I think the Nats would match that. And all things being even I can't imagine he would choose Philly.

maybe, but nats offer is off the table, no need to go match that when only 1 other team is willing to offer that much and they're only doing so because they're desperate to make a splash

would be hilarious to me for him to wait it out this long just to sign for $10 million more than the nats offered in september and to sign with their rival, after a winter of literally no one else offering you a contract . obviously i can laugh to myself all i want when bryce has 300 million but if boras gets 10/310 at thats it....he misread the market terribly.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
more power and money to billionare owners? cool cool

so a player spends at least 1-3 years in the minors making less than minimum wage, then gets 6 years of team control, where if he's fortunate he gets his market value on 1-year contracts with no job security at all, then if he hits free agency, he should get a non-guaranteed deal where a team can release him at any point with no penalty. fair!

Yeah, I don't get people who begrudge players big money. Hey, that's free enterprise. There's a lot of money in the game and the players should get their share. Why should the owners and all the networks get all the money.

Offline Baseball is Life

maybe, but nats offer is off the table, no need to go match that when only 1 other team is willing to offer that much and they're only doing so because they're desperate to make a splash

would be hilarious to me for him to wait it out this long just to sign for $10 million more than the nats offered in september and to sign with their rival, after a winter of literally no one else offering you a contract . obviously i can laugh to myself all i want when bryce has 300 million but if boras gets 10/310 at thats it....he misread the market terribly.

I'm not sure we know for sure if the Nats offer is off the table (though the FO has said publicly it is.) And it just takes two to creative a bidding war.

If he goes to Philly for same or slightly more money he will go down as the most revilved athlete in DC history. He will be mercilessly booed at Nats Park for the remainder of his career.

Offline UMDNats

I'm not sure we know for sure if the Nats offer is off the table. And it just takes two to creative a bidding war.

If he goes to Philly for same or slightly more money he will go down as the most revilved athlete in DC history. He will be mercilessly booed at Nats Park for the remainder of his career.

i read a quote from rizzo saying that offer had a deadline, sure we could jump back in, but i think we've moved on (like i said in the other thread i suspect the timing on the boswell column was not a coincidence). but yeah, i agree, going to philly means the goodwill he had from nats fans will go away immediately IMO

Offline Senatorswin

more power and money to billionare owners? cool cool

so a player spends at least 1-3 years in the minors making less than minimum wage, then gets 6 years of team control, where if he's fortunate he gets his market value on 1-year contracts with no job security at all, then if he hits free agency, he should get a non-guaranteed deal where a team can release him at any point with no penalty. fair!

Fair. yes. These players that play on minor league contracts also play in the off-season playing other places for good money. They make more money than a normal 18 - 22 year-old makes. Even just one year of MLB gets a player more money than it takes an average person who makes a good salary 10 years to make. If a person who works for Microsoft, Amazon, Walmart or anywhere else who have billionaire owners gets terminated he doesn't get paid anymore. If a player believes in himself play for less years much like Kurt Cousins did. I don't blame players for wanting to get as much as they can just as I don't blame owners for not wanting to pay for unproductive years.

Offline UMDNats

These players that play on minor league contracts also play in the off-season playing other places for good money.

:lmao:

ok

when there are only 500 people in the world who can play pro baseball at the major league level (aka at a level we would pay $100 a ticket to watch) it's a different situation that amazon looking to churn through software developers

"players shouldn't get any job security because a 22-year-old at microsoft doesn't have job security, either. players should believe in themselves!"

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
:lmao:

ok

when there are only 500 people in the world who can play pro baseball at the major league level (aka at a level we would pay $100 a ticket to watch) it's a different situation that amazon looking to churn through software developers

"players shouldn't get any job security because a 22-year-old at microsoft doesn't have job security, either. players should believe in themselves!"

Plenty of shovel ready jobs should they decide baseball is really mistreating them.  They could also work on finishing their PhD's...

Offline UMDNats

Plenty of shovel ready jobs should they decide baseball is really mistreating them.  They could also work on finishing their PhD's...

They should shut up and accept a $2/hr job because it's just baseball, right?

https://imgur.com/a/6yNd8Ao

If some of y'all even saw the crap that MiLB players went through you'd be shocked.

"But it's just baseball! Go get another job!"

Sure, ok, but that doesn't mean people should be OK with being paid under minimum wage, and then, if they're lucky enough to make the major leagues, get freaked by billionare owners who get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to players just wanting to be paid an equal share of the revenue they're generating. They are entertainers, doing all the entertaining, they deserve an equal share of the pie when it comes time to it. The MLBPA has freaked up big time over the years and it's biting them in the ass now. We all want our teams to spend smartly but when half the league is refusing to sign any players and happy to collect hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue sharing (paid for by the competitive teams) while still charging triple-digits for tickets to meaningless games, there's a problem.

I guess my biggest issue is people thinking that professional athletes aren't actually working at all and are just being handed money for no effort besides showing up and playing a game, when that's simply not the case.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

If some of y'all even saw the crap that MiLB players went through you'd be shocked.

"But it's just baseball! Go get another job!"

Sure, ok, but that doesn't mean people should be OK with being paid under minimum wage, and then, if they're lucky enough to make the major leagues, get freaked by billionare owners who get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to players just wanting to be paid an equal share of the revenue they're generating. They are entertainers, doing all the entertaining, they deserve an equal share of the pie when it comes time to it. The MLBPA has freaked up big time over the years and it's biting them in the ass now. We all want our teams to spend smartly but when half the league is refusing to sign any players and happy to collect hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue sharing (paid for by the competitive teams) while still charging triple-digits for tickets to meaningless games, there's a problem.

I guess my biggest issue is people thinking that professional athletes aren't actually working at all and are just being handed money for no effort besides showing up and playing a game, when that's simply not the case.

Offline Baseball is Life

i read a quote from rizzo saying that offer had a deadline, sure we could jump back in, but i think we've moved on (like i said in the other thread i suspect the timing on the boswell column was not a coincidence). but yeah, i agree, going to philly means the goodwill he had from nats fans will go away immediately IMO

So, you're saying there's a chance.

Offline Baseball is Life

Don't bother arguing this with some people on this board. There are some people who just resent the money earned by athletes and you won't get them to change their mind.

Offline UMDNats

Offline Baseball is Life

thank you for your input on the discussion.

Like I said, don't waste your time.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
thank you for your input on the discussion.

I gave you my input in two sentences.  There's nothing more to add...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think that deep down, most fans actually hate the players.

Offline Baseball is Life

I agree. I think its starts with the massive amounts of money that players make and goes from there.

Offline UMDNats

I'd disagree with hate, but across all sports there absolutely is a "be grateful that we allow you to entertain us" mindset from fans, especially when it comes to contracts/CBA/salaries, etc.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Only the ones that whine about how they're so mistreated...

Seems like from what I'm reading here that most people will be happy for Royce if he signs with Philly for $310MM...getting the payday he so richly deserves...

Offline UMDNats

edit - eh whatever, no point in engaging

Offline hotshot

Bryce is not worth a 10 year deal at any price. If I were the Lerner's, I'd go with a max of 5/$140M. If that's not good enough, pound sand.

Offline Natsinpwc

I get more upset with the Kardashian’s.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
A booger?

:)  No, that would be thumb and index finger...

Offline Baseball is Life

I don't get people who resent players getting big money. I mean that's capitalism, right? The free market has dictated the industry's revenues and the owners of the industry need to share it with labor or suffer from labor discontent. Just because there's big money involved doesn't mean labor doesn't have a right to voice its concerns about getting its fair share. Nobody is complaining that these guys will go hungry anytime soon but what's fair is fair.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I don't get people who resent players getting big money. I mean that's capitalism, right? The free market has dictated the industry's revenues and the owners of the industry need to share it with labor or suffer from labor discontent. Just because there's big money involved doesn't mean labor doesn't have a right to voice its concerns about getting its fair share. Nobody is complaining that these guys will go hungry anytime soon but what's fair is fair.

I think it’s really the ginormous contracts in terms of years that generally don’t pan out that people resent. If Bryce signed a 5 year $150 mil contract I don’t think people would be against that, but I don’t think fans want their teams to offer those huge-year contracts anymore.