Author Topic: Remember Lowell George? Robert Palmer? Linda Ronstadt? (old guy music thread)  (Read 2620 times)

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
She's done a lot more than sappy songs in the 70s. She had a beautiful voice. (And was smokin' hot in the 70s.)

She was by far the best female rock singer of that era. Nobody is close. She could sing rock, blues, country, standards, opera, and even in Espanol.

Online Natsinpwc

She was by far the best female rock singer of that era. Nobody is close. She could sing rock, blues, country, standards, opera, and even in Espanol.

(Image removed from quote.)
True.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Oh, I don't know "by far."  As far as rock goes, I'll take Ann Wilson and Chrissie Hynde.  For pop, I'll take both McVie and Nicks.  And for pure musical talent, I'll take Pat Benatar.  don't forget Donna Summer, too. Her range of styles is superior to most of those, and she was more of a touchstone /associate for the LA sound of that era (Jackson Browne, Eagles, all her associates).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I met Lowell George and various other artists while working at a place in Bethesda.

Online Natsinpwc

Thanks much for posting that--one of my all time fav songs.  Had not heard that version before.  I like this one because Stevie is old but still wasted and having trouble getting home.  :)

Online Natsinpwc

I met Lowell George and various other artists while working at a place in Bethesda.
Cool.

Offline mitlen

Online Natsinpwc

It's not like they would have remembered.     :)
My friend and I got to shake Rick Danko's hand--he played at a small bar in Philly. Just him and his guitar, I had been trying to pick up this pretty lady from Louisiana at the bar.  Bought her some drinks, etc.  Seemed to be making good progress.  After Danko did his encore (his second version of Stage Fright) he shook almost everyone's hand.  The pretty lady then went over, took Danko's hand and went backstage with him.  It all seemed so obvious after the fact--doh!  On the drive back, every five minutes my friend would say "I can't believe I shook Rick Danko's hand".  I responded with "I bought his girl friend drinks all night."

Offline van lingle mungo

I was there for one of those shows at Lisner and George's last show at Lisner before he died at a hotel in Arlington.

I was at that one, too.

Here ya go, BIL - https://archive.org/details/LittleFeat

There's enough content here to keep you busy for days. Don't say I never did anything for ya.... ;)

Offline van lingle mungo

Psyche Delly?

Offline mitlen

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I was in attendance for two of the three shows at Lisner Auditorium which went into the making of this album. Little Feat was better live than any other band I ever saw in concert - bar none, and I've lost track of how many times I saw them. They rocked the roof off every time out. Climbed 3 stories up a fire escape in back of the Warner Theater and sneaked in thru the open door at the top to see them one time.

:worship:

When they came to Lisner (1977?) I was asked by a friend if I wanted to go, but I already had tickets for Dylan in the Baltimore Civic Center the same night, and while I was a blossoming Feat fan at the time I had $12 invested in Bob Dylan, whom i also loved.  Dylan's concert was as expected - rambling and intelligible at times, though he hit a lot of the songs we wanted ( a la Live at Budokan)  However, I missed one of the greatest concerts of all time, as you noted.

FYI - Barrere and Tackett are playing the Stathmore 6/13 and I saw somewhere they are doing acoustic versions of Feat songs.  Haven't seen them since they joined Catfish Hodge's band back in the early 80's just after Lowell passed.

http://www.paulandfred.net/

Offline van lingle mungo

Across the street  ...  Triangle Towers.

Ah!....At WHFS studio, maybe? Sorry, not trying to be nosy. Just curious. That was my old stomping ground. I grew up there but I've long since left D.C.. I used to work on the WHFS DJ's cars and get free concert tickets from a couple of them from time to time.

Got thrown out of Psyche Delly for dancing on a table and spilling beers everywhere during a New Riders show there. IIRC, Little Feat played there a time or two back before they got famous and I believe Bonnie Raitt did as well. You might know better than I. My memory's a little hazy nowadays.

Offline mitlen

Ah!....At WHFS studio, maybe? Sorry, not trying to be nosy. Just curious. That was my old stomping ground. I grew up there but I've long since left D.C.. I used to work on the WHFS DJ's cars and get free concert tickets from a couple of them from time to time.

Spent some time there  ....  nothing to write home about but got paid.    :)     On occasion, I was there when Cerphe (mostly) would  interview someone and he was very good about introducing everyone.     Did a few concerts and was with Weasel the night he opened Armand's Pizza near Wisconsin and Van Ness (IIRC).    Opened with Zappa and Beefheart's   ...   so this is a drive in restaurant in Hollywood.   

Offline van lingle mungo

FYI - Barrere and Tackett are playing the Stathmore 6/13 and I saw somewhere they are doing acoustic versions of Feat songs.  Haven't seen them since they joined Catfish Hodge's band back in the early 80's just after Lowell passed.

http://www.paulandfred.net/

Lowell got all the attention, but no denying that Barrere was (still is) one seriously badass guitar player. Little Feat regrouped after Lowell passed and even though they would never be the same, they couldn't have done so without Barrere.

Offline van lingle mungo

I probably shouldn't tell these stories, but what the hell.... smoked some weed with these guys in the kitchen of the Cellar Door between sets. (Tickets courtesy of Bob at HFS, weed courtesy of me) They were pretty cool, but John Dawson developed instant drool for my girlfriend at the time and invited me back to their hotel after the show. I told him, "John, the only reason you want me there is so you can hit on my old lady." He just laughed and didn't have much to say after that. I asked David Nelson how his brother was doing, which was a pretty lame question but all I could think of to break the ice. (His brother being Ricky Nelson, of Ozzie & Harriet fame and teen idol/R&R HOF member.)

Offline mitlen

I probably shouldn't tell these stories, but what the hell.... smoked some weed with these guys in the kitchen of the Cellar Door between sets. (Tickets courtesy of Bob at HFS, weed courtesy of me) They were pretty cool, but John Dawson developed instant drool for my girlfriend at the time and invited me back to their hotel after the show. I told him, "John, the only reason you want me there is so you can hit on my old lady." He just laughed and didn't have much to say after that. I asked David Nelson how his brother was doing, which was a pretty lame question but all I could think of to break the ice. (His brother being Ricky Nelson, of Ozzie & Harriet fame and teen idol/R&R HOF member.)

Saw the Tubes at UMD thanks to Weasel.     Got to go to some type of reception back stage.   I don't remember much.   :)     Those were wild days.     On Christmas Eve in the mid-70s, Weasel would do an interview with Santa Claus.     

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Lowell got all the attention, but no denying that Barrere was (still is) one seriously badass guitar player. Little Feat regrouped after Lowell passed and even though they would never be the same, they couldn't have done so without Barrere.

One of my most precious albums is a "Chicken Legs" pressed on only one side, featuring a combined Catfish Hodge band and Feat (post Lowell).   Lowell was recently departed and I think the band just wanted to be distracted for a while, and Catfish was a handy bigger than life character who could carry the show a bit.   I saw them at the Bayou.

Not long after that they released Down on the Farm, which commenced the post-Lowell era.  I found Hoy Hoy! as a cutout and it had a treasure trove of old stuff, including several tracks omitted from Waiting for Columbus- Rock and Roll Doctor, Skin it back, Red Streamliner, and Teenage Nervous Breakdown.  If you have WFC this is a must have extension as those 4 tracks were from Lisner as well. 

Offline van lingle mungo

Saw the Tubes at UMD thanks to Weasel.     Got to go to some type of reception back stage.   I don't remember much.   :)     Those were wild days.     On Christmas Eve in the mid-70s, Weasel would do an interview with Santa Claus.   

The only time I ever met Weasel, it was in the studio and he was crazy jacked up. I'm guessing it was coke, but who knows. He was acting seriously strange.

Online Natsinpwc

The only time I ever met Weasel, it was in the studio and he was crazy jacked up. I'm guessing it was coke, but who knows. He was acting seriously strange.
Who's Weasel?

Online Natsinpwc

Well of course David Nelson didn't like that question--he was on Ozzie and Harriet as much as Ricky.  Just wasn't the teen heart throb. 

Offline van lingle mungo

If you have WFC this is a must have extension as those 4 tracks were from Lisner as well.

I had an 8-track tape of them live at Warner Theater that I recorded straight off WHFS on the night of the show. (9/76?) They actually broadcast the whole show live on the air and Cerphe did the introduction like he did on WFC. Doing that kind of stuff was unheard of at the time. I don't know if they had permission, but that kind of thing would probably cost a fortune to do now.

Offline van lingle mungo

Offline mitlen

Who's Weasel?

Overnight DJ on WHFS.    Then he moved to afternoons/evenings.    About that time, Jake (or some entity) moved the station to Annapolis.