Author Topic: NCAA Football 2018  (Read 13471 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: NCAA Football 2018
« Reply #100: August 02, 2018, 05:29:48 PM »
SMU cheated. As compared to covering up crimes. The NCAA takes the former more seriously.  Sometimes. If it's not one of the top schools.

What smu did doesn’t remotely approach what Baylor did

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #101: August 02, 2018, 05:30:41 PM »
That's his point, that the NCAA cares more about cheating than people.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #102: August 02, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
Of course.  The games must go on. Money to be made. I like college football and basketball. But just too much corruption. Not good to have coaches as little kings making more than school presidents.  Just create minor leagues for the sports.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #103: August 02, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »

Smu paid players to get on the field, SMU recruited criminals and covered up assaults to keep them on the field. In both cases the school acted to get players who otherwise would let be playing for them on the field. I think they’re both creating and one is light years worse than the other

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #104: August 02, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »
That's right.  As far as we know anyway. There may have been many schools covering up all kinds of bad behavior back them. Things just didn't get out as much.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #105: August 02, 2018, 05:37:04 PM »
That's right.  As far as we know anyway. There may have been many schools covering up all kinds of bad behavior back them. Things just didn't get out as much.

Exactly, anyone getting on a high horse thinking their school is above such things is kidding themselves. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #106: August 02, 2018, 05:53:19 PM »
Of course.  The games must go on. Money to be made. I like college football and basketball. But just too much corruption. Not good to have coaches as little kings making more than school presidents.  Just create minor leagues for the sports.

More than school Presidents?     Hell, more than any other employee of the state including the Governor  ....   and in some cases more than his/her salary and all the cabinet members of the state to boot.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #107: August 02, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »
Exactly, anyone getting on a high horse thinking their school is above such things is kidding themselves. 

I’m pretty convinced college sports is as crooked as it gets- too many incentives to let things slide and too little consequences for doing bad things

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #110: August 11, 2018, 06:11:42 PM »

I got this email for some reason...

Dear Terps,

I am extremely concerned by the allegations of unacceptable behaviors by members of our football staff detailed in recent media reports. We are committed to fully investigating the program. 

At this time, the best decision for our football program is to place Maryland Head Football Coach DJ Durkin on leave so we can properly review the culture of the program. This is effective immediately. Matt Canada will serve as interim head coach.

The external review into the tragic death of Jordan McNair continues, and we have committed to releasing publicly the report being prepared by an independent and national expert.

The safety and well-being of our student-athletes is our highest priority. These alleged behaviors are not consistent with the values I expect all of our staff to adhere to and we must do better.

You will be hearing from me as our work continues to rebuild the culture of respect in our football program.

Damon Evans

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #112: August 11, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
https://deadspin.com/reports-circumstances-of-jordan-mcnairs-death-fit-into-1828275048

I know...just not sure why I got the email...  :shrug:

I bought tickets to Terp football games online back in 2005...maybe that's it...

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #113: August 11, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
Probably going out to everyone on any of their e-mail lists. There is an official report that is going to essentially accuse a coach and training staff of being such hard asses that they killed a kid- damage control is probably going into overdrive

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #114: August 11, 2018, 07:31:36 PM »
Probably going out to everyone on any of their e-mail lists. There is an official report that is going to essentially accuse a coach and training staff of being such hard asses that they killed a kid- damage control is probably going into overdrive

I recall them telling us that the Len Bias death pretty much killed their athletic program...this isn't gonna do much to help...

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #115: August 12, 2018, 02:16:17 AM »

One of a several sports-related scandals impacting large universities: Michigan State, Ohio State and, now, Maryland.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #116: August 12, 2018, 08:11:01 AM »
If the NCAA wants to remind schools it still has teeth- this one is directly related to football, and a coaching staff killed a kid. Toss in that no one would miss MD football, and you have a good candidate for the death penalty

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: August 12, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
If the NCAA wants to remind schools it still has teeth- this one is directly related to football, and a coaching staff killed a kid. Toss in that no one would miss MD football, and you have a good candidate for the death penalty
The NCAA can’t charge anyone with a crime. Where are the local authorities?

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #118: August 12, 2018, 12:50:52 PM »

For Maryland, police are probably already looking into it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #119: August 12, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »

The NCAA can end a program though. With most of the other scandals, you can argue that the wrong roof was tangentially linked to the program or occurred in the distant past- this is a good candidate for the NCAA to make an example of a school.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #120: August 12, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »
The NCAA can end a program though. With most of the other scandals, you can argue that the wrong roof was tangentially linked to the program or occurred in the distant past- this is a good candidate for the NCAA to make an example of a school.
If a coach or coaches do jail time for manslaughter that will be much more of a deterrent.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #121: August 12, 2018, 02:10:44 PM »
For Maryland, police are probably already looking into it.
Thank you.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #122: August 12, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »
If a coach or coaches do jail time for manslaughter that will be much more of a deterrent.

The NCAA should do what it can, the police should do what they can, and the parents should take the school for every dime they can, none of those is mutually exclusive

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #123: August 12, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »

What? What NCAA rule did they break? The trainers freaked up majorly and deserve to never work in medicine again based on early reports. Durkin's involvement is unclear right now but he's probably fired and he won't be the only one. I don't see how the NCAA could death penalty a program for trainers' mistakes when they have let Baylor & PSU get by with no punishments. The NCAA is ridiculous so maybe they'll decide to arbitrarily hammer down. Brian Kelly had 100x more of a hand in killing a kid at Notre Dame (than we know about Durkin at this point) and not only was he not fired, he has made millions more. Notre Dame didn't miss a beat.

MD football will be nuked for years regardless of what happens, Loh and Evans have completely tried to cover this up. They should have worked to settle with the family ASAP because now that they've lost the court of public opinion, they've lost. The McNairs deserve to be compensated for this crap and I hope they take the university to the cleaners. Loh should never work in the state again and Evans should be kicked to the curb as well.

FWIW ESPN's report on the "toxic" atmosphere was a hit piece designed by the McNair's lawyer, a bunch of players and parents have come out and disputed it/sad it was bullcrap. There were some bad things in there/bad coaching but nothing you wouldn't see on any major program's campus. Unfortunately Loh and Evans let it get to a point where now casual observers think MD was running a prison.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #124: August 12, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »
Big difference between Kelly and this is that ND is a cash cow with an enormous national following