Author Topic: Should we trade Harper?  (Read 5937 times)

Offline hotshot

Re: Should we trade Harper?
« Reply #50: October 30, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »
Wish I was a fly on the wall at Martinez-Rizzo-Lerner meeting. I'm sure Harper's likely future came up.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #51: October 30, 2017, 01:18:32 PM »
Because Harper was an obvious number 1 pick. There was no scouting needed. No real deliberation. There was no way in hell he wasn't going number 1
If you buy a brand new car and you can pick any car you want. To you and many others, it's an obvious choice, there's nothing that really compares to it, until you sell it or trade it in, it's a one owner vehicle. You may not have assembled it, but you're the only one putting the highway miles on it. You're the only one who gets to drive it and let it loose.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #52: October 30, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
This is such a dumb argument. Harper is a "homegrown" player, he's a Nats draft pick and played in our minors. Who cares if he raced through the system. There is no shortage of busts at #1 overall. Our staff still had to coach and develop Harper and has continued to do so.

Offline nats4ever

« Reply #53: October 31, 2017, 05:19:26 PM »
Because Harper was an obvious number 1 pick. There was no scouting needed. No real deliberation. There was no way in hell he wasn't going number 1
He is homegrown. Fareweather fan.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #54: October 31, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
What about Mauer? He was the same. And spent minimal time in the minors. No one in the Twins organization is calling him anything but homegrown.

Mauer was a protege at 16? He was on the cover of SI and hitting 570 ft home runs? He got his GED and went to JuCo so he could get to MLB quicker?

Did Mauer talk about how he loved the Yankees? Did his wife trade Instagram posts with his childhood friend's wife about playing for a different team? Is his agent Scot Boras. When discussing the prospect of being the first 400 million dollar player, did he respond with "Don't sell me short"

Mauer spent 2 full seasons in the minors. Harper spent one. And the only reason he did was for service time rules. The Nationals have done nothing to develop Harper as a player. They simply lost 4 more games than the Pirates.

Offline Optics

« Reply #55: October 31, 2017, 11:37:27 PM »
Think it depends on your definition of homegrown.

We drafted Harper. We developed him. Whether he needed much development at all, the point is, he is homegrown in that sense. All the SI and wife instagram stuff is just fluff that doesn't have anything to do with his development as a ball player with the Washington Nationals.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #56: November 01, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »
Think it depends on your definition of homegrown.

We drafted Harper. We developed him. Whether he needed much development at all, the point is, he is homegrown in that sense. All the SI and wife instagram stuff is just fluff that doesn't have anything to do with his development as a ball player with the Washington Nationals.

That's part of my definition of homegrown, and I don't think it applies to Harper

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #57: November 01, 2017, 07:11:18 AM »
What about Mauer? He was the same. And spent minimal time in the minors. No one in the Twins organization is calling him anything but homegrown.

You seem to be leaving out Mauer is also a hometown guy of the team he plays for and was a legit stud prospect.  Well, he's from St. Paul but that's close enough for Twins fans and the Pohlads. 

Mauer was a protege at 16? He was on the cover of SI and hitting 570 ft home runs? He got his GED and went to JuCo so he could get to MLB quicker?

Did Mauer talk about how he loved the Yankees? Did his wife trade Instagram posts with his childhood friend's wife about playing for a different team? Is his agent Scot Boras. When discussing the prospect of being the first 400 million dollar player, did he respond with "Don't sell me short"

Mauer spent 2 full seasons in the minors. Harper spent one. And the only reason he did was for service time rules. The Nationals have done nothing to develop Harper as a player. They simply lost 4 more games than the Pirates.

I get your point here but you're selling Mauer short.  Sure, he's an overpaid bum now but he had a crap ton of hype when he was at Cretin-Derham both as a QB prospect and a baseball prospect.  You're also trying to compare Pete Rose-light Vegas Bryce against true blue milquetoast Minnesota Nice Joe Mauer, which isn't really fair.  Joe Mauer would literally say "oh jeez, I understand" if the Twins outright released him today.  Can you imagine what Bruce Happa would do?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #58: November 01, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »
You seem to be leaving out Mauer is also a hometown guy of the team he plays for and was a legit stud prospect.  Well, he's from St. Paul but that's close enough for Twins fans and the Pohlads. 

I get your point here but you're selling Mauer short.  Sure, he's an overpaid bum now but he had a crap ton of hype when he was at Cretin-Derham both as a QB prospect and a baseball prospect.  You're also trying to compare Pete Rose-light Vegas Bryce against true blue milquetoast Minnesota Nice Joe Mauer, which isn't really fair.  Joe Mauer would literally say "oh jeez, I understand" if the Twins outright released him today.  Can you imagine what Bruce Happa would do?

Comparing the two is ridiculous. Mauer was the number 7 prospect the after he was drafted. Harper was number 1.

Harper has always been a mercenary. He hasn't been developed by the club. He has no long term future here. No matter who drafted him, he was going to be right where he is today.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #59: November 01, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
This is one of the dumbest debates I've witnessed on this forum.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: November 01, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
Wow. That's a high bar!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #61: November 02, 2017, 07:33:32 AM »
Why do you say that Ray ?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #62: November 02, 2017, 07:52:07 AM »
Harper and scherzer for Springer.  Do it!!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #63: November 02, 2017, 07:54:45 AM »
NO !

Maybe for Springer & Peacock

Harper and scherzer for Springer.  Do it!!

Offline Slateman

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #65: November 02, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »

Baseball withdrawal has hit at least part of the fandom early. It's going to be a long off-season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #66: November 02, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
Baseball withdrawal has hit at least part of the fandom early. It's going to be a long off-season.
I feel like next season will be like this one. At first, we'll be excited. New manager, a few new players. But after a while, it'll be obvious that no one can challenge the division, and we'll just wait for the trade deadline.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #67: November 02, 2017, 08:23:52 AM »
Why do you say that Ray ?

Seemingly endless heated back and forth on whether Harper is "home grown"?  It's a useless debate, when there is no agreed-upon definition.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #68: November 02, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
Did harper (or any other player) spend time in an MLB farm system other than that of the Nationals? If not, that would make him homegrown by default (for want of a better expression).

Really rather inconsequential when all is said and done.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #69: November 02, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
Did harper (or any other player) spend time in an MLB farm system other than that of the Nationals? If not, that would make him homegrown by default (for want of a better expression).

Really rather inconsequential when all is said and done.

Seems like some people focus on "home" and others on "grown". For the latter, we didn't "grow" him so he isn't homegrown. So goes the argument.  Agree, inconsequential.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #70: November 02, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
Seems like some people focus on "home" and others on "grown". For the latter, we didn't "grow" him so he isn't homegrown. So goes the argument.  Agree, inconsequential.

Inconsequential and also pretty clearly resolved by answering this series of questions: what position did Harper play in high school and college?  What position does he play now?  Where did he learn that?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #71: November 02, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
if harper swipes the plate in Miami, would he be a home grown stealer of home in a dome?

Just wondering....

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #72: November 02, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »
I would say Harper did most of his development on the major league squad.  His approach and swing have developed a lot since year 1.  A lot of that was coaches, and lot was learning from guys like Werth, Zimmerman and Murphy.  That definitely counts as home grown in my books. 

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #73: November 02, 2017, 12:22:58 PM »
I thought teams could start signing free agents as soon as the WS was done.  Why haven't we signed another ace yet?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #74: November 02, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »
I thought teams could start signing free agents as soon as the WS was done.  Why haven't we signed another ace yet?
Players eligible to become free agents after a given season do not become free agent immediately upon conclusion of the season. There is a period (not sure how long) during which the player's team has exclusive negotiation rights and that period begins today.  (Unless the rules have changed.)