Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17183 times)

Offline Five Banners

Since the Yankees will now likely be in the bidding for Martinez they may have to come close to that. It's really silly to quibble over a million or two for a a manager when they will pay guys like Wieters way more than they are worth.

Getting retread managers and a clueless newbie has not worked. How about pay for someone good?

You would think the value of that money in proportion to the overall goal would be glaringly clear by now.

Offline UMDNats

I don't see Martinez as the Yankees guy. They go with people off the Cashman-Michael-Steinbrenner tree.

Offline Mattionals

I don't see Martinez as the Yankees guy. They go with people off the Cashman-Michael-Steinbrenner tree.

Agreed. Nats have interviewed DMart and Farrell so far. Some say the first person you interview is who you intend to go with, especially since he has interviewed before and many liked him over Williams.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I don’t know if you meant to do this, but it’s brilliant.
one of my few intentional typos.

Offline Mattionals

It will be interesting to see who rounds out the coaching staff. Bosio headed to Detroit and Maddux is already in St. Louis. I don't see Schu, Henley, and Firova back. Speier is out with Dusty. Jones is certainly out with the investigation around him. Lopes is awesome, but is probably loyal to Dusty and not the Nats, so he won't be back either.

Who else is out there?

Offline dcpatti

Wade Boggs is tweeting his congrats to Dave Martinez on the new gig with the Nats. Up to you if you believe Wade Boggs or not.

https://twitter.com/chickenman3010/status/924020872519745536

ETA: and Chelsea Janes is tweeting that no one has been made an offer yet

https://mobile.twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/924046607221514240

Offline Count Walewski

Self proclaimed Wade Boggs experts now pontificating on Twitter as to why he can or cannot be trusted.

Offline hotshot

Maybe Boggs wants a coaching job? Or, TV gig replacing Knight if Ray's not exonerated?

Offline whytev

Arrieta seems like the classic example of somebody who is going to sign a huge contract and then regress significantly. No thank you.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Jon Heyman  ✔ @JonHeyman
initial word hearing out of DC is that girardi is "not likely." for one, nats don't believe in paying big bucks to manager.

Offline Ray D

Big bucks? Four million??  Going to need to pay $2M (maybe 3) minimum.  If they pass on Girardi just because of money, they are blindly stupid.

Offline Mattionals

Ken Rosenthal‏ @Ken_Rosenthal  17h17
#Yankees sent E-mail to every club today granting permission to contact their coaches for any job. Might need to build entirely new staff.

Larry Rothschild as PC?

Offline dcpatti

Fox 5 DC’s Brody Logan is now reporting Dave Martinez as new manager:

https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/924375427208110080

Per multiple sources @fox5dc can report Dave Martinez will be the next #Nationals manager, won't be announced til after #WorldSeries

Online Natsinpwc

Per multiple sources @fox5dc can report Dave Martinez will be the next #Nationals manager, won't be announced til after #WorldSeries
Hope that is true. Good choice I think.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Likely 1 year at $750K with a team option for a second year.  Good luck, Dave...2019 will be here before you know it...you may as well start packing now...

Watching interviews with the LA and Houston exec's during the series, it's even clearer why Rizzo and ownership have to rely upon Boras to get players signed.  They lack people skills...

Offline aspenbubba

Likely 1 year at $750K with a team option for a second year.  Good luck, Dave...2019 will be here before you know it...you may as well start packing now...

Watching interviews with the LA and Houston exec's during the series, it's even clearer why Rizzo and ownership have to rely upon Boras to get players signed.  They lack people skills...

Maybe he shouldn’t unpack. Probably 1 mil is my guess. If Giardi was going to take a year off I believe a good choice.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
If we have a good year, he gets extended.  If not, Girardi 2019.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Lerner's can still renig...wouldn't shock anybody...

11 replies 90 retweets 67 likes
Reply 11   Retweet 90   Like 67   Direct message

Brody Logan‏Verified account
@BrodyLogan
Follow Follow @BrodyLogan
More

To elaborate. There is an agreement for Martinez to be next manager. No deal has been signed. Agreed in principle.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
If we have a good year, he gets extended.  If not, Girardi 2019.

LOL...have you just started following this team?  The Learner's wouldn't pay Moses $4MM per year to manage...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I ask this with all sincerity. Why are so many people excited for a guy how has been repeatedly passed over for jobs for at least the past 5 years?

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I ask this with all sincerity. Why are so many people excited for a guy how has been repeatedly passed over for jobs for at least the past 5 years?

Yeah...I don't get it either...

Guessing they think he brings Maddon's "genius" with him...

Offline HalfSmokes

I was excited for Davey and williams- I'll be happy about this until I have a reason not to be

Offline dcpatti

I don’t think being passed over for a mlb manager’s job is the same as being passed over for a job in the real world. It’s an incredibly small community. Everyone knows everyone. A manager or coaching job is the logical career progression, but there are very few openings. You give someone an interview for the networking opportunities. Maybe he’s not ready now for a manager gig, but maybe he will be in 5 years and he’ll remember you favorably when it’s  time to make trades. Maybe he just got fired and giving him an interview might help other teams start looking at him.  I mean, Rizzo pretty much offered up his Senators protege to the Braves since they’re going to need a whole new org chart soon. Why would you want to mentor a guy through his career only to send him to a division rival? Because it’s an incredibly small community (and I think that the players/coaches/managers get along better with their competitors than the fans do).