Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17290 times)

Online Natsinpwc

So I presume the Yankees will target Martinez and outbid the Nats. That's good so we can bring Manny Acta back.

Offline rbw5t

Maddux to become Cards' pitching coach.   :(

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I think it's funny that the Lerner's probably thought that the Nats managing job would be a plum job to get. It's probably the third most attractive job opening this postseason.  :hysterical:

Offline DPMOmaha

I think it's funny that the Lerner's probably thought that the Nats managing job would be a plum job to get. It's probably the third most attractive job opening this postseason.  :hysterical:
Well, when one both the Red Sox and Yankees gigs come open, everything else sits in their shadow. It's the best one after that and they could very well get the best candidate in the field if Girardi is willing to dance and the Lerners are willing to pay. It's most definitely a "plum job".

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Well, when one both the Red Sox and Yankees gigs come open, everything else sits in their shadow. It's the best one after that and they could very well get the best candidate in the field if Girardi is willing to dance and the Lerners are willing to pay. It's most definitely a "plum job".

I agree. But the Nats might very well end up getting the third best manager available when it's said and done when given this lineup they should have their pick of managers.

Offline DPMOmaha

I agree. But the Nats might very well end up getting the third best manager available when it's said and done when given this lineup they should have their pick of managers.
Who are you putting up over Martinez or Long (or hypothetically Girardi)?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Who are you putting up over Martinez or Long (or hypothetically Girardi)?

I'd have take Cora in a heartbeat. The Nats might not have had a chance at him, but we will never know because he was hired before the Nats even had an opening. Letting Dusty twist had the double benefit of leaving bad tastes in people's mouths which might poison the well and delaying this whole process. If the Lerners had fired Dusty right after the NLDS then they could have had someone locked in before anyone even knew the Yankees had an opening.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd have take Cora in a heartbeat. The Nats might not have had a chance at him, but we will never know because he was hired before the Nats even had an opening. Letting Dusty twist had the double benefit of leaving bad tastes in people's mouths which might poison the well and delaying this whole process. If the Lerners had fired Dusty right after the NLDS then they could have had someone locked in before anyone even knew the Yankees had an opening.
But we don't actually know that Cora is better than Martinez or Long. And if the Nats get Girardi, I think they'll have made out as well as anyone in this coaching carousel.

Offline More of #34

I'd love to have Girardi.  I would think he'd love to have our team.  Seems like a match to me.

Offline Mattionals

Now that Maddux is gone, even though yesterday I said I wanted him to stay as PC, I'm not overly upset about the loss. I think he was well hyped and even with Gio having such a great year, I'm wondering if maybe Maddux is a good PC but not someone special. He has worked with great pitchers and gotten great results, but I can't remember a guy he turned from a dumpster fire into a reliable commodity. I even gave White Sox fans crap about Don Cooper, but I think Cooper and someone like Ray Searage in Pitt has a better track record making tweaks to pitchers that can really unlock their potential.

Offline nfotiu

Now that Maddux is gone, even though yesterday I said I wanted him to stay as PC, I'm not overly upset about the loss. I think he was well hyped and even with Gio having such a great year, I'm wondering if maybe Maddux is a good PC but not someone special. He has worked with great pitchers and gotten great results, but I can't remember a guy he turned from a dumpster fire into a reliable commodity. I even gave White Sox fans crap about Don Cooper, but I think Cooper and someone like Ray Searage in Pitt has a better track record making tweaks to pitchers that can really unlock their potential.
I have no idea if evidence backs it up, but feel like our starting pitchers have been remarkably healthy and I credit him with at least some of that.

Offline HalfSmokes

I have no idea if evidence backs it up, but feel like our starting pitchers have been remarkably healthy and I credit him with at least some of that.

I think that’s orgizinational; we seem far less likely to send an injured pitcher out there or bring them back early than say the Mets

Offline UMDNats

So I presume the Yankees will target Martinez and outbid the Nats. That's good so we can bring Manny Acta back.

I don't see Martinez as their guy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Now that Maddux is gone, even though yesterday I said I wanted him to stay as PC, I'm not overly upset about the loss. I think he was well hyped and even with Gio having such a great year, I'm wondering if maybe Maddux is a good PC but not someone special. He has worked with great pitchers and gotten great results, but I can't remember a guy he turned from a dumpster fire into a reliable commodity.
He worked wonders in Texas, where he made his rep.  The conversion of Wilson and making him into one the top starters in the AL, making Colby Lewis into a strong #3 . . . those pop up.  Yu look at Darvish and realize that a lot of hyped Japanese starters turn into Dice-K and Irabu, and some of the credit for him should go to Maddux.  There's a reason for the reputation.  Heck, here he helped turn around Tanner Roark after a bad 2015, and Gio he got back on track. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
He worked wonders in Texas, where he made his rep.  The conversion of Wilson and making him into one the top starters in the AL, making Colby Lewis into a strong #3 . . . those pop up.  Yu look at Darvish and realize that a lot of hyped Japanese starters turn into Dice-K and Irabu, and some of the credit for him should go to Maddux.  There's a reason for the reputation.  Heck, here he helped turn around Tanner Roark after a bad 2015, and Gio he got back on track.

I don’t know if you meant to do this, but it’s brilliant.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.

I wouldn't use Roark as an example. He sucked this year, not exactly a testament to Maduxx's coaching ability.

Offline Ray D

I wouldn't use Roark as an example. He sucked this year, not exactly a testament to Maduxx's coaching ability.
Not only that, but he was great 2014.

Offline DPMOmaha

Ok, then. Use Strasburg. He became the ace we all hoped he would be under Maddux.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Ok, then. Use Strasburg. He became the ace we all hoped he would be under Maddux.

Indeed. Stras shut up a lot of doubters this year. Or at least they should shut up but probably won't.

Offline Mattionals

Wilson dropped off pretty quickly, and maybe that has to do with going to LA and not having Maddux. I'm certain Yu was going to be awesome regardless of who his pitching coach is/was. I'm seriously interested in Chris Bosio, but rumors are he is headed to Detroit under Gardy. Bosio would also be an interesting hire if Boras works his magic AGAIN in DC and Arrieta ends up on the team. The PC who "fixed" Arrieta AND Arrieta himself would be quite interesting.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Wilson dropped off pretty quickly, and maybe that has to do with going to LA and not having Maddux. I'm certain Yu was going to be awesome regardless of who his pitching coach is/was. I'm seriously interested in Chris Bosio, but rumors are he is headed to Detroit under Gardy. Bosio would also be an interesting hire if Boras works his magic AGAIN in DC and Arrieta ends up on the team. The PC who "fixed" Arrieta AND Arrieta himself would be quite interesting.

I want zero part of Arrieta. He’s not a good pitcher anymore.

Offline Count Walewski

Arrieta seems like the classic example of somebody who is going to sign a huge contract and then regress significantly. No thank you.

Offline Mattionals

Arrieta seems like the classic example of somebody who is going to sign a huge contract and then regress significantly. No thank you.

I don't want to get off topic, so I'll leave my thoughts on Arrieta for a 2018 FA thread.

@JonHeyman

initial word hearing out of DC is that girardi is "not likely." for one, nats don't believe in paying big bucks to manager.

That makes the most sense to me. Nats won't go 4 Million a year for him, and honestly I don't think Girardi is worth that. After reading Verducci's SI article, I think that is strong insight into Cashman's thinking on what the 2018+ Yankees need. Girardi is about halfway what you want for analytics and seems to be more Matt Williams towards his players. Not as bad as Matt Williams, but surely he doesn't seem to connect to his players like other managers do.

If the fans have learned anything over the years, it is the following: Successful teams nowadays rely on high end analytics and need a manager who can embrace those analytics and get buy in from the players. The Nats tried that, but gave the reigns to a guy who was only respected by barely anyone within the organization. Players want a "player's manager" but the team needs a full embrace of new school thinking.

Offline UMDNats

Heyman says Girardi to DC is not likely, partly because LAC

but tbh 4 mill for a manager is not necessary

Online Natsinpwc

Heyman says Girardi to DC is not likely, partly because LAC

but tbh 4 mill for a manager is not necessary
Since the Yankees will now likely be in the bidding for Martinez they may have to come close to that. It's really silly to quibble over a million or two for a a manager when they will pay guys like Wieters way more than they are worth.

Getting retread managers and a clueless newbie has not worked. How about pay for someone good?