Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17324 times)

Offline dcpatti

No, I think the disappearing crowd could be a factor.  The fact that our mass transportation system is a colossal failure implies that this is not a major market.

People leave early from everywhere. They do it in St Louis. They do it in Chicago. They do it in LA.  They leave earlier if their team has a big lead. They leave REALLY early when their team is getting destroyed.
They also leave concerts, parties, the movies and church early. The only place that people don't leave early is an airplane.
This notion of the DC fan base being somehow "lesser than" any other because they leave early is just silly.
If any manager makes his decision based on how late the fans stay, then we don't want them because they suck at baseball.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Maddux to the Cards as their pitching coach per Rosenthal. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Oh wow ....

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline nfotiu

Is he? I was underwhelmed by his post season management, particularly the bullpen and his overuse of Robertson.

Last year, managers were geniuses for over-using bullpen guys and aces.  This year, it makes them incompetent.

Offline Ray D

People leave early from everywhere. They do it in St Louis. They do it in Chicago. They do it in LA.  They leave earlier if their team has a big lead. They leave REALLY early when their team is getting destroyed.

I was speaking specifically about people leaving early for the sole reason that they have to catch the subway before it shuts down, and of situations where it is clearly obvious that that's the reason - like a playoff game, a close exciting game when you know that people don't want to leave and wouldn't be leaving if they had a choice.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Last year, managers were geniuses for over-using bullpen guys and aces.  This year, it makes them incompetent.

Hindsight is 20-20, as they say.

Offline DPMOmaha

Dang it.

Online imref

Rosenthal says Maddux had 5 offers. 

Offline Slateman

Rosenthal says Maddux had 5 offers. 
Not surprising. Guy is a good coach, despite some of the things that happened here. I gotta wonder how much of Gio's turnaround is due to him.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Not surprising. Guy is a good coach, despite some of the things that happened here. I gotta wonder how much of Gio's turnaround is due to him.

I fear that we are going to find out.

Offline Slateman

I fear that we are going to find out.
Could we just get the Cubs old pitching coach?

Online imref

nightingale says the nats "badly" wanted Maddux back.  This looks like a huge loss.  Maybe we get Righetti with Girardi?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
nightingale says the nats "badly" wanted Maddux back.  This looks like a huge loss.  Maybe we get Righetti with Girardi?

Dumbasses. Why would he want to come back without knowing who the next manager is going to be? They obviously knew the risk when they let Dusty go.

Offline DPMOmaha

They could have, you know, renewed his contract...

Offline GburgNatsFan

Could we just get the Cubs old pitching coach?

This might be one of those outcomes that results when ownership is maybe a little arrogant about it's coaching staff.

Offline GburgNatsFan

They could have, you know, renewed his contract...

If he had five fairly equal offers, he may have chosen to leave the Nats.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

They must not have wanted him "badly' enough. Did they not make him an offer. Or did he see how poorly they treated Dusty and just decide to take off. I mean, I would have been OK if they had offered him the manager spot.

Offline DPMOmaha

If he had five fairly equal offers, he may have chosen to leave the Nats.
Of course. But they chose not to renew contracts of any of the coaches. We didn't hear anything about them trying to keep any of them around. If they wanted him, they probably should have made a better effort to make that happen rather than let him hit the open market for a moment. He's arguably the best pitching coach in the league. Dude's not gonna want for work.

Offline Ray D

They must not have wanted him "badly' enough. Did they not make him an offer.
No. That's the point.  They gave the entire coaching staff their walking papers.  There may have been an implication that the might rehire one or more of them, but he probably chose to leave because of the uncertainly of the siutation (not to mention the five offers).  Another major freak up by the organization.

Offline Natsinpwc

Maddux seemed to do a good job with handling the staff. However others here have noted that Gio was fortunate to have the year he had considering his metrics. Wouldn't a top flight pitching coach have also figured how to get him to perform in the post season. And I have to assume he was in on the move to have Scherzer pitch early in game 5 which was dumb.

Time to move on.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Maddux seemed to do a good job with handling the staff. However others here have noted that Gio was fortunate to have the year he had considering his metrics. Wouldn't a top flight pitching coach have also figured how to get him to perform in the post season. And I have to assume he was in on the move to have Scherzer pitch early in game 5 which was dumb.

Time to move on.

Agreed, tons of teams are turning over staff, will be interesting seeing who ends up making the right moves.

Offline DPMOmaha

Time to move on.
...Or you could say that he had a big hand in Gio having the big year he had. He was here when Stras turned into the dominant ace we'd all hoped for. Bringing in Scherzer was a fine move. The one to question was having Gio pitch there and not Tanner.

Offline UMDNats

what? he just got promoted in san fran.

honestly, Rothschild is an A+ pitching coach so if we got Joe G I'd be thrilled with him (more than Maddux TBH)

put me in the boat that thinks maddux was overrated.

Offline dcpatti

They must not have wanted him "badly' enough. Did they not make him an offer. Or did he see how poorly they treated Dusty and just decide to take off. I mean, I would have been OK if they had offered him the manager spot.

If you are hiring a new manager and most of your coaching staff is at the end of their contract, you usually let the new manager choose his own staff. It's a professional courtesy, but more importantly it gives the incoming manager a chance to have a staff whose values/vision/methods align with his.   

FWIW I don't particularly blame Maddux for not waiting around to see who his new boss might be (or even if he was going to get an offer), but there's also no guarantee that the Cardinals wouldn't have pried him away anyway since his contract was up.