Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17350 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I bet Girardi takes a year off but that would be one heck of a hire.

Offline Optics

At least make him a good offer. If he wants to take a year off then fine, but don't low ball him.

Offline UMDNats

My guess is he takes a year off and then has his pick of jobs.  He'll go to a booth on ESPN or MLBNetwork, work when he wants, and wait until a golden job opens up.

This is my bet, too. Surprised the Yankees let him go. Though, to be fair, our job is pretty good all things considered. Top team in 2018. 2019 and beyond could be real good, too, if Bryce stays, plus Rendon, Turner, Robles, Strasburg, etc. A lot to like.

Meddlesome, owners, though, and real uncertainty after 2018.

Offline GNatsNoMore

At least make him a good offer. If he wants to take a year off then fine, but don't low ball him.
Do this, please! :pray:
He just turned 53, too, so if we could entice him here, he might actually stay long term. 

Offline OvechkinsWodka

• chicks dig curly W's
I hope the Yanks hire Dusty

Offline Mighty Casey

If the Nats don't even call Joe, they will truly be viewed as the most hopeless owners/people on the planet.
Now, it is certainly possible that Joe says 'no' right now, hoping for a vacation....
or he says 'yes', but the Silas Marner, er, the Lerners offer him minimum wage (for the position) and then he says 'no.'
But they should try, at the very least.
And then yes, the Yanks go on to hire Dusty!

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
I'm not in love with Girardi but he'd be an upgrade over Dusty for freakin' sure.

Offline Ray D

My guess is he takes a year off and then has his pick of jobs.  He'll go to a booth on ESPN or MLBNetwork, work when he wants, and wait until a golden job opens up.

Why isn't this the golden job?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline Ray D

Metro.

Could you elaborate?  How does Metro affect him?

Offline rbw5t

I don't really like Girardi.  He's a big name, the right age, has great experience, but I just don't feel like he's really got the special touch that the great ones do.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Could you elaborate?  How does Metro affect him?

Just playing on the tired old idea that the crowd disappears early because of Metro. Just a poorly executed joke.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Girardi won with a super stacked team in 2009, but has underachieved since. I am not sure why everyone is super excited about him. He made much dumber decisions than Dusty made in this very postseason.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Girardi won with a super stacked team in 2009, but has underachieved since. I am not sure why everyone is super excited about him. He made much dumber decisions than Dusty made in this very postseason.

He has big game experience and pedigree, which is what I think this team and its players need. The in-game management stuff is overrated. They all screw it up at times.

Offline Ray D

Just playing on the tired old idea that the crowd disappears early because of Metro. Just a poorly executed joke.

No, I think the disappearing crowd could be a factor.  The fact that our mass transportation system is a colossal failure implies that this is not a major market.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Why do we want Girardi?

Offline Ray D

Why do we want Girardi?
Seems pretty simple. He's the best available.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Seems pretty simple. He's the best available.
Is he? I was underwhelmed by his post season management, particularly the bullpen and his overuse of Robertson.

Offline Ray D

Is he? I was underwhelmed by his post season management, particularly the bullpen and his overuse of Robertson.

Who's better?

Offline hotshot

Metro.

Would you rather live in a townhouse in Franconia or buy a home in Newport Beach (when the Angels job comes open), or near the beach in Miami? One place you'd probably view as a temporary home during the season, the other as a worthy place to put down roots. Except for Max and Werth (Murph was down to being out of choices), I'm afraid DC is not really viewed as a "destination location" in terms of what it has to offer -- managers or free agents.

Speaking of Miami, wonder if the Jeter connection will kick in here.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Would you rather live in a townhouse in Franconia or buy a home in Newport Beach (when the Angels job comes open), or near the beach in Miami? One place you'd probably view as a temporary home during the reason, the other as a worthy place to put down roots. Except for Max and Werth (Murph was down to being out of choices), I'm afraid DC is not really viewed as a "destination location" in terms of what it has to offer -- managers or free agents.

Speaking of Miami, wonder if the Jeter connection will kick in here.

Please. DC is a great city to live. I suspect the manager will be able to afford something better than a condo in Franconia. But you may have something re the Jeter connection.

Offline Mattionals

Rather give Dave a chance. Girardi is fine but the money won't be there. He also looks tired out there, so I agree with Girardi likely taking time off.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Rather give Dave a chance. Girardi is fine but the money won't be there. He also looks tired out there, so I agree with Girardi likely taking time off.

Yep.

Offline hotshot

Change of scenery can do wonders.