Author Topic: Fire [insert name here] -Manager Search (2018 edition)  (Read 17344 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Spoiler alert: Lerners are stupid.

The Lerners are chickencrap. They waited until Baker left town to announce that he was being let go.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Guys.  Guys.  I know we're all upset.  But can we all freaking stop putting an apostrophe in "Lerner’s?"  Seriously.

Ok

Online Natsinpwc

Let's hope Nats management hires another genius like Matt Williams
Why "like" Matt? He is available.

Offline RiotAct

Why "like" Matt? He is available.
Hmmmm...you don’t say...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Last time, wasn't there alot of chatter about Cal Ripken becoming manager ?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/921422748299210752

I don't want someone internal. I want someone who will bring in a new hitting coach.

Offline LoveAngelos

Re: Manager Search (2018 edition)
« Reply #57: October 21, 2017, 10:07:52 AM »
Who would want to come here?  They let you manage for two years, refuse to pay anything worth a damn and then let you go lol

I'll do it

Offline Ray D

Last time, wasn't there alot of chatter about Cal Ripken becoming manager ?
Still is.  Most of the chatter is from Cal.  Maybe all.   Cal as manager is a ridiculous idea.  I'd much sooner have brother Bill.

Offline Mattionals

I wonder if Kevin Long would entertain becoming hitting coach here? I'd like Maddux to stay on as PC and not go on as a manager. Ideally would have DMart, Maddux, Long, and Lopes still at 1B. Need a much better 3B coach. Bench and bullpen are complete wildcards.

Offline Slateman

I wonder if Kevin Long would entertain becoming hitting coach here? I'd like Maddux to stay on as PC and not go on as a manager. Ideally would have DMart, Maddux, Long, and Lopes still at 1B. Need a much better 3B coach. Bench and bullpen are complete wildcards.

The hitting coach for the Mets? Pass.

Offline Mattionals

The hitting coach for the Mets? Pass.

He made Murphy what he is. Granted, aside from Wieters, I'm not sure what good it would do. Their plan this season with elevated launch angle has seemingly worked. Well, until they all collectively pooped the bed in October.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Long would be terrific.  Chili Davis is also available.

Offline imref

Red Sox could announce Cora as manager today per mlb.com even though Nats asked permission to interview him.

Joe Giradi’s contract is up...

Offline Mattionals

Red Sox could announce Cora as manager today per mlb.com even though Nats asked permission to interview him.

Joe Giradi’s contract is up...

I doubt Girardi wants to manage anymore, at least right now. He's been managing in the pressure cooker for what, like 11 years now? He surely is a proven manager, but has also made mistakes and although the lights here aren't as bright as the Bronx, he might just want to take time to spend with his family. At least that is what I have read about his contract status.

EDIT: MLBTR says that Girardi wants to return to Yanks and Yanks want him back.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
More I think about it, Farrell might not be such a bad choice.  I don't hold the two last place finishes too much against him because in both cases the Red Sox front office tanked with trades.  He won with veterans (2013) and he was also able to win with a line up of internally-developed position players breaking into starting roles.  The former sounds like 2018 Harper - Murphy - Zim - Wieters, while the latter sounds like  Robles / Taylor / Soto / Difo / Turner / Read, some or all of whom will be the core of 2019 and after.  Farrell's teams suffered from the inability to develop internal pitching options, but that's probably already addressed some with Strasburg and a good FA in Scherzer. 

I did not watch enough of the Red Sox day to day to critique his tactical decisions.  I think the big criticisms were in letting vets sour the clubhouse, especially post Ortiz, leading to underperformance this year.

Offline whytev

More I think about it, Farrell might not be such a bad choice.  I don't hold the two last place finishes too much against him because in both cases the Red Sox front office tanked with trades.  He won with veterans (2013) and he was also able to win with a line up of internally-developed position players breaking into starting roles.  The former sounds like 2018 Harper - Murphy - Zim - Wieters, while the latter sounds like  Robles / Taylor / Soto / Difo / Turner / Read, some or all of whom will be the core of 2019 and after.  Farrell's teams suffered from the inability to develop internal pitching options, but that's probably already addressed some with Strasburg and a good FA in Scherzer. 

I did not watch enough of the Red Sox day to day to critique his tactical decisions.  I think the big criticisms were in letting vets sour the clubhouse, especially post Ortiz, leading to underperformance this year.

You think any of the stink of the spying scandal is stuck to him?

Offline Slateman

He made Murphy what he is. Granted, aside from Wieters, I'm not sure what good it would do. Their plan this season with elevated launch angle has seemingly worked. Well, until they all collectively pooped the bed in October.
Please tell me what other hitters have blossomed under his instruction?

Murphy made Murphy what he is.

Offline dcpatti

Mets making an offer to Cleveland pitching coach Mickey Callaway to be their manager https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/10/22/mets-manager-mickey-callaway/788689001/

Offline imref

I thought I read that he lost the clubhouse. 

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I heard he lost the clubhouse as well. I think that there is a decent chance that whoever the Nats bring in will not be able to deal with clubhouse chemistry. I do not think it is as easy as all the folks on here believe.

Offline Mattionals

Please tell me what other hitters have blossomed under his instruction?

Murphy made Murphy what he is.

FWIW, Murphy credited Long with helping him completely overhaul his swing. Murphy knew via stats that his approach was mediocre, knew that he had to increase his launch angle, and turned to the hitting coach to help him out. Long helped him figure out how to change his swing arc and stance to better suit a higher launch angle. That sounds like a hitting coach doing his job rather than getting players to fit a mold. I believe Long was also the hitting coach in the Bronx and was well respected for years and was let go after 2014 which looking back didn't have a bunch of great hitters anyway.

Not saying he is a shoe in to do better, but he may be consdidered with all new blood. Not sure who else is out there as a well recognized hitting coach.

Offline Mattionals

I heard he lost the clubhouse as well. I think that there is a decent chance that whoever the Nats bring in will not be able to deal with clubhouse chemistry. I do not think it is as easy as all the folks on here believe.

I think the toughest one to deal with just left. It's basically Harper now. Scherzer seems crazy, but to me looks like a guy who isn't hard to deal with.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think the toughest one to deal with just left. It's basically Harper now. Scherzer seems crazy, but to me looks like a guy who isn't hard to deal with.

Harper can't afford a down year next year- I'm not worried about him at all

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I thought I read that he lost the clubhouse. 
yes, that's my big worry.  He is OK with a self-motivated team, like 2013 and when Ortiz and Pedroia set a good tone in 2016.  This year's tone was a bit destructive and distracting.