Author Topic: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond  (Read 112916 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Bryce Harper 2018 and beyond
« Reply #50: February 20, 2018, 10:19:27 PM »
After the annual tradition of getting eliminated in the divisional series yet again, Bryce’s frustrations will take over.

Should have thought about this when they were making all those half ass attempts to compete for a WS. They got a false sense of security playing in a weak division.

He is gone. Yankees, Dodgers, Cubs. Phillies a darkhorse.

Which ones were half ass?

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #51: February 21, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Which ones were half ass?

Every year except last year, 2017.

There was a concerted effort getting Eaton (to add contact/professional hitting) and adding consistent bullpen arms.

Online Slateman

« Reply #52: February 21, 2018, 02:18:28 PM »
Every year except last year, 2017.

There was a concerted effort getting Eaton (to add contact/professional hitting) and adding consistent bullpen arms.

:roll:

2012 and 2014 the NL East wasn't weak.

Offline Trea Burner

« Reply #53: February 21, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
:roll:

2012 and 2014 the NL East wasn't weak.

Maybe not 2012 with the Braves. Overall it has been a weak division during the Nats “dominance” and really only that 2015 Mets team was legitimate because their SP was healthy.

Anyway, doesn’t change the fact that the Nats have half assed their roster construction up until last year. Can’t blame them for the Eaton injury but can blame them for their stubbornness prior to 2017 in getting legitimate bullpen and professional hitting.

Cheers to 2018, maybe it will be different...

Offline rileyn

« Reply #54: February 21, 2018, 06:32:49 PM »
Thomas Boswell argued last year that the NL East has been weak because of the Nationals.  The other teams saw the need and window to rebuild the Nats because were about to go on a run of dominance.  Why not bottom out and try to prepare for the future.  I think there is a lot of truth to that.  So, yes the NL East has been weak but the Nationals deserve credit for some of that.

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #55: February 25, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
No devils  advocate you speak the truth
Robles will make fans forget Bryce and some team will ruin it's roster by paying one player over 400 million

Online Slateman

« Reply #56: February 25, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
No devils  advocate you speak the truth
Robles will make fans forget Bryce and some team will ruin it's roster by paying one player over 400 million

Robles would have to be really, really good to make us forget Bryce

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #57: February 25, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
Robles would have to be really, really good to make us forget Bryce

The Learners are real estate people.  The worst thing for business is falling in love with the real estate.  Keep your eye on the bottom line...

I've had enough of regular season success without post-season success.  Royce and his $400MM salary aren't likely to win DC a World Series.

Win a World Series without him and he'll be relegated yesterday's news...

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #58: February 25, 2018, 08:19:39 PM »
Gospel truth and I think Robles is going to be very very good.
I keep thinking what has paying a boatload to Pujlois gotten the Angels?

Offline rileyn

« Reply #59: February 25, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
Gospel truth and I think Robles is going to be very very good.
I keep thinking what has paying a boatload to Pujlois gotten the Angels?
I'm with you on not paying Royce $400M, but the Pujols comparison isn't fair.  Royce will be (theoretically) entering his prime at 27, while Pujols was aging and injured when he hit the market.  The Cardinals were smart not to pay Pujols. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
« Reply #60: February 26, 2018, 12:50:37 AM »
A player I coached and still talk to who is also a major leaguer knows Harper and his family well and thinks there's a good chance he stays, but of course only if the Lerners are willing to pay. Dodgers is the front runner in my friends mind then the Rangers as a dark horse. Bryce is a huge family guy and the reasoning for LA is because his dad has a hard time travelling. Harper's house is a few minutes away from the Henderson private jet airport and if the dodgers were interested and could make the money work out, that would be a dream destination as his mom and dad could go to every home game. There used to be several soap opera stars at CBS that lived in vegas and used that same airport to travel to LA every day and back so it could be possible if he wants pops to be at all home games, he'd pick LA over DC with money being equal.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #61: February 26, 2018, 08:52:43 AM »
Agreed. The Nats could get a lot more production from that $400M by upgrading at two or three positions for the same money. Is that as sexy? No. But it's a winning strategy.

The Learners are real estate people.  The worst thing for business is falling in love with the real estate.  Keep your eye on the bottom line...

I've had enough of regular season success without post-season success.  Royce and his $400MM salary aren't likely to win DC a World Series.

Win a World Series without him and he'll be relegated yesterday's news...

Online Slateman

« Reply #62: February 26, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
Agreed. The Nats could get a lot more production from that $400M by upgrading at two or three positions for the same money. Is that as sexy? No. But it's a winning strategy.

Who says they'll spend it?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #63: February 26, 2018, 09:07:49 AM »
It's not even so much them being willing to spend it. It's do guys want to sign with the team. More worried that they will also lose Rendon.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #64: February 26, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
It's not even so much them being willing to spend it. It's do guys want to sign with the team. More worried that they will also lose Rendon.

If they let Harper walk, they have to sign Rendon to save some face.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #65: February 26, 2018, 01:33:11 PM »
This was a great article - I had no idea the Nats took such a positive view with players.  So much nicer than the Dan Snyder crowd

In a departure from his usual tone, Boz wrote an article about the Nats handling of Harper that is almost a love letter. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/whether-bryce-harper-stays-or-goes-the-nationals-have-played-this-just-right/2018/02/20/fc2f6e50-166a-11e8-b681-2d4d462a1921_story.html

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #66: February 26, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

I don't think the Lerner's have been cheap. They resolve arbi cases before they get there. They pay proven performers. I don't think they want to over-spend, but I think they'll spend what they think might get them there.

Offline Mathguy

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #69: March 15, 2018, 08:35:36 AM »
If there was ever any doubt that Slate is an idiot, this should remove it.
As hard as it is, I have to agree with Slate. Teams were saving their money for next offseason. Teams like the Phillies have lots and lots of cap room and money to spend. They will drive up the market. 400 million?  I don't know. Depends on years and opt outs. Opt outs are the big thing now.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: March 15, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »

This is the dumbest take Boswell could have made.

I think you underestimate how dumb bod can be

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #72: March 15, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »
But the dynamics of baseball make it different for non-pitchers to stand out.  The "football quarterback" or "basketball center" star in baseball is a dominant pitcher, not a star hitter.  That teams might be evolving for a lineup of good players that a couple of top star hitters.

As hard as it is, I have to agree with Slate. Teams were saving their money for next offseason. Teams like the Phillies have lots and lots of cap room and money to spend. They will drive up the market. 400 million?  I don't know. Depends on years and opt outs. Opt outs are the big thing now.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #73: March 15, 2018, 01:31:20 PM »
But the dynamics of baseball make it different for non-pitchers to stand out.  The "football quarterback" or "basketball center" star in baseball is a dominant pitcher, not a star hitter.  That teams might be evolving for a lineup of good players that a couple of top star hitters.

If that were true, 75% of the 20 largest contracts would have gone to pitchers. Instead, 15 of the top 20 are position players. Pitching once every five days is less of an impact than a top notch bat several times a game.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: March 15, 2018, 01:49:22 PM »
He is hitting the market at a young age. 26. Most of these guys don't hit free agency until 29-30. Also when you plug him in a lineup it helps the guys hitting around him.