Author Topic: Nats sign Joe Blanton  (Read 9964 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Nats sign Joe Blanton
« Reply #50: March 11, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
Is there a reason that this guy couldn't be the closer?
not really.  there's going to be skepticism about him because he was so mediocre as a starter, but he's been a terrific reliever the past couple of years.  People had the same doubts about Andrew Miller for a long, long time.  Granted, Miller was younger and supposed to be elite when he was drafted, but he could only get a AAA contract going into 2011 when he was converted. 

I'm also a Kelley fan and think a lot of Treinen and Glover.  I like using Blanton as a stopper / fireman rather than a closer, so I'm good with Kelley or one of the other options as the save accumulator.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #51: March 11, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »
One thing that jumps out at you when you look at Blanton and Kelley's numbers (just for 2016) is K/BB which I think is important for a closer because strikeouts and walks are so important.  Blanton is 3.08 - not bad in general but not great for a closer.  Kelly, 7.27.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #52: March 11, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
One thing that jumps out at you when you look at Blanton and Kelley's numbers (just for 2016) is K/BB which I think is important for a closer because strikeouts and walks are so important.  Blanton is 3.08 - not bad in general but not great for a closer.  Kelly, 7.27.
Of course Treinen trumps them both with  8.5.

Offline Fungo

« Reply #53: March 11, 2017, 07:21:51 PM »
Of course Treinen trumps them both with  8.5.

Does Treinen have the potential to be a closer? They do say that a lot of closers were never sought out to be closers early in their careers, so what's stopping the Nats from developing him as one?

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #54: March 11, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
Does Treinen have the potential to be a closer? They do say that a lot of closers were never sought out to be closers early in their careers, so what's stopping the Nats from developing him as one?

Treinen has never had elite swing and miss stuff. I have no doubt he could close out most of the regular season games where you are up 2+ runs a lot of the time. But unless he can miss more bats I'm always going to worry about him closing a one run playoff game.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #55: March 11, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
If you believe that pitching the 9th inning of a close game is the same as pitching the 6th, then Treinen is an excellent  candidate for closer. So is Blanton. So is Kelley.

If you believe that pitching the 9th inning of a close game is vastly different than pitching in middle relief, then no one on the current roster is capable of closing.

Offline whytev

« Reply #56: March 11, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »
If you believe that pitching the 9th inning of a close game is the same as pitching the 6th, then Treinen is an excellent  candidate for closer. So is Blanton. So is Kelley.

If you believe that pitching the 9th inning of a close game is vastly different than pitching in middle relief, then no one on the current roster is capable of closing.

If you believe the second thing, Glover has the poise and makeup and could very well be the man at some point hopefully soon.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #57: March 11, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »

This all missed the point. Nobody knows how Treinen, Banton, or kelley will respond to the pressure of pitching the ninth.  We can only wait and see.  But I'm confident that one of them will rise to the occasion. It may take several games to sort it out and in the process there may be a few blown saves. So what. In the course of a 162 game season that won't make any significant difference.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #58: March 11, 2017, 08:07:25 PM »
If you believe the second thing, Glover has the poise and makeup and could very well be the man at some point hopefully soon.
This all missed the point. Nobody knows how Treinen, Banton, or kelley will respond to the pressure of pitching the ninth.  We can only wait and see.  But I'm confident that one of them will rise to the occasion. It may take several games to sort it out and in the process there may be a few blown saves. So what. In the course of a 162 game season that won't make any significant difference.
And I don't believe any of the above mentioned pitchers will. Which is why an experienced closer was the most important offseason issue (and has been for several off seasons). They may end being capable of closing, but we're not going to find out for a while and this team no longer has the window for that. It's now or never. Rizzo needs to make the hard trade and get someone who can close a 9th inning of a playoff game. More over, even if they all are, Rizzo STILL needs to get a shut down closer because Dusty Baker is a freaking moron of a game manager and cannot be trusted to pick the right pitcher. You have to make it stupid simple for him. Just like the Royals did for Ned Yost in 2014 and 2015.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #59: March 11, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »
I still do not understand why Slate can say nothing is more important than an experienced closer, yet want to trade whatever it takes for Colome who has closed for one season and never pitched in the postseason.

I guess the answer is, Slate gonna Slate.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #60: March 11, 2017, 09:27:25 PM »
I still do not understand why Slate can say nothing is more important than an experienced closer, yet want to trade whatever it takes for Colome who has closed for one season and never pitched in the postseason.

I guess the answer is, Slate gonna Slate.
Colome is the closest we're going to get to an experienced closer who is good. He also has more closing experience than the other four combined.

As usual, Jersey doesn't understanding anything about anything. Except fake tans.

Offline Fungo

« Reply #61: March 11, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
Treinen has never had elite swing and miss stuff. I have no doubt he could close out most of the regular season games where you are up 2+ runs a lot of the time. But unless he can miss more bats I'm always going to worry about him closing a one run playoff game.

Is there an advanced stat that shows whif %? I'd be really curious to see how Treinen fairs against Kelley and Blanton.

Offline whytev

« Reply #62: March 11, 2017, 10:42:16 PM »
Is there an advanced stat that shows whif %? I'd be really curious to see how Treinen fairs against Kelley and Blanton.

There is.

24 % for Treinen.

35.7% for Kelley.

25.4% for Blanton.

Can you guess who is the big winner?

Offline Fungo

« Reply #63: March 11, 2017, 11:00:08 PM »
There is.

24 % for Treinen.

35.7% for Kelley.

25.4% for Blanton.

Can you guess who is the big winner?

Dang well when I quoted this it showed me the answer but I was going to guess Kelley. I've always been a fan of his, are his injuries holding him back? Wouldn't one inning be perfect for him if that were the case? I guess you could argue it's a stressful inning as opposed to an inning or two before.

Offline whytev

« Reply #64: March 11, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
Dang well when I quoted this it showed me the answer but I was going to guess Kelley. I've always been a fan of his, are his injuries holding him back? Wouldn't one inning be perfect for him if that were the case? I guess you could argue it's a stressful inning as opposed to an inning or two before.

He's the best option and as even he points out, the primary setup man often gets more innings than the closer.

Trouble is, he's on borrowed time, health-wise.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #65: April 12, 2017, 07:38:16 PM »
Yeah...Great pickup...

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #66: April 13, 2017, 07:01:24 AM »
Yeah...Great pickup...

I admire your sarcasm...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: April 13, 2017, 07:05:45 AM »
Joe will be fine. No worries.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #68: April 15, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
Yeah...Great signing...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #69: April 15, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »
We should probably see what Brad Lidge is up to...Rizzo can likely get him on the cheap...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #70: April 15, 2017, 03:47:25 PM »
Yeah...Great signing...

Is Guthrie still available?

Offline Expos

« Reply #71: April 15, 2017, 04:50:02 PM »
How many games has our pen blown now? 4?

I think we should keep track.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #72: April 15, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
How many games has our pen blown now? 4?

I think we should keep track.

Yes...and Blanton has two of those losses...

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #73: April 15, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
Man. Thank god we saved that 2 million on Greg Holland's contract.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: April 15, 2017, 06:43:09 PM »