Author Topic: Boswell has a column today...READ IT (May 2016)  (Read 3075 times)

Offline houston-nat

Split the new discussion from the old one.
Thanks. Now go back to honeymoon sex.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Worst. Answer. Possible. :)
Not a switch.
I reassess my favorites after each season.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
So the Benedict Arnold approach
Not a switch.
I reassess my favorites after each season.

Offline Natsinpwc

So the Benedict Arnold approach
I'm hoping to make better selections than he did.

Most players and coaches and front office personnel show no loyalty to their teams so not sure why anyone expects it from me. It's a business and I will treat it like that. Will use the product that gives me the most enjoyment! 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I am still confused by the sudden change of direction mid-article.

Offline Natsinpwc

Boswell is getting old like many of us.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Wagner started it and, on his way out,  gave it to Boz to finish?  :shrug:

Offline aspenbubba

I'm hoping to make better selections than he did.

Most players and coaches and front office personnel show no loyalty to their teams so not sure why anyone expects it from me. It's a business and I will treat it like that. Will use the product that gives me the most enjoyment! 

Is that a mind fact? Soeta biting the hand that feeds you.

Offline ExposFan87

:lmao:

What other baseball team was he supposed to follow during that time frame?

That might be the dumbest statement I've ever seen here.

The Expos...

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
This article is another example of the self-serving media saying ballplayers are suppose to cater to us (the media).  It's complete BS

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
GDTs could make Arthur Schopenhauer stick his head in an oven.  Unless it's a blowout from the first pitch the nagging goes right until the "bang zoom".  Losses are even worse  :mg:

GDTs are like Trump rallies.    Ya go, then are shocked at what's goin' on.   

Offline Optics

That article made no sense.

The first part of it was calling out Nats for being mentally weak and unaccountable. Then, change direction! Complete turnaround about how versus a brutal schedule they're on a 97 win pace with the quality of competition about to lighten up. It's like he started to write a negative article, realized Nats are still in first place halfway through, then decided things could get better.

Yeah that's exactly what I was going to say. It was like Bos just decided mid way through to change his mind and write a completely different article.

Offline Ray D

Lot's of literary devices Boswell never mastered. Like the transition.  He might have said halfway through  "now on the brighter side ... "

Offline Natsinpwc

Maybe Bos wanted to be an economist.  On the one hand...but on the other hand.....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
This is not Baltimore. Washington had no MLB team from 1972-2004.

That's exactly the freaking point.

Offline mitlen

Boswell is getting old like many of us.

Huh?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
The Expos...

I actually got up to Montreal for five Expos weekends from 1994-2000 and witnessed firsthand the sad decline of that team, from the 1994 best-record-in-baseball-that-was-never-officially-recognised to the echoey stadium of the later years. But they had club seats (similar sightlines to PNC Diamond Club)_ with service-at-your-seat, for just $22 a go...best value for money in the history of MLB.

Offline OldChelsea

That's exactly the freaking point.

...but rooting for the Orioles, a club which unilaterally claimed to be a 'regional team' for both Baltimore and Washington (never mind that they are different, non-interdependent cities 40mi apart), and which is actively seeking the corporate liquidation of the Nationals, is not the answer.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
...but rooting for the Orioles, a club which unilaterally claimed to be a 'regional team' for both Baltimore and Washington (never mind that they are different, non-interdependent cities 40mi apart), and which is actively seeking the corporate liquidation of the Nationals, is not the answer.

You double down?  Do you understand the concept of Capitalism?  He covered the Orioles because there are people who read the WaPo who actually root for the Orioles.

:smh:

Offline Natsinpwc

You double down?  Do you understand the concept of Capitalism?  He covered the Orioles because there are people who read the WaPo who actually root for the Orioles.

I know there are some people in the DMV who didn't follow the Orioles but for the most part that's who baseball fans here followed. Some are in denial over this but there is a whole generation of Os fans in there 30s and 40s who will probably always be Os fans to some degree. It's still irritating to hear the local radio and TV give their scores as if they are the home team.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Isn't it "glass half full" in GDTs?  I can't imagine that if one actually counted positive/negative/neutral posts in a given GDT that it would sway significantly to either side (depending on the game, of course).  It's just that the negative posts are often so much more hyperbolic that stands out.  Negative posters also get a lot more attention, whereas very few people bother to point out when someone is being consistently or overly positive.

I bet a GDT word cloud would be...  interesting :lol:

Offline OldChelsea

[...]It's still irritating to hear the local radio and TV give their scores as if they are the home team.

WTOP radio, for one, still gives priority to Orioles scores/matchtimes (depending on time of day) second only to those of the Nats...but Charlie and Dave in their out-of-town scoreboards, on the match broadcasts. bury the Orioles among the rest of the AL, giving them no priority, the way it should be.

Offline OldChelsea

They're sick.

DC residents rooting for a club that is actively seeking the liquidation of the Nationals is treason, pure and simple. Yet sadly these do still exist - Boswell, George Will et al.

Offline mitlen

I know there are some people in the DMV who didn't follow the Orioles but for the most part that's who baseball fans here followed. Some are in denial over this but there is a whole generation of Os fans in there 30s and 40s who will probably always be Os fans to some degree. It's still irritating to hear the local radio and TV give their scores as if they are the home team.

I got a few of 'em next door.    :)