Author Topic: Rolling Thunder  (Read 42771 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Rolling Thunder
« Reply #100: November 20, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
So 15N will be a clusterfreak? We're heading to Harrisburg...

Real men walk into Gettysburg from the west, right down Chambersburg Pike.  Just don't be surprised if you encounter resistance.   

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #101: November 20, 2015, 06:37:55 PM »
Why is this in November when the battle was in July?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #102: November 20, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »

Too damned hot in July...  ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #103: November 20, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »
Pickett found that out the hard way...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #104: November 20, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »
well, doesn't this honor Edward Everett's speech?  Lincoln gets all the attention, but Everett had the crowd's attention for two hours!

http://civilwarhome.com/everettgettysburg.htm

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #105: November 20, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
So 15N will be a clusterfreak? We're heading to Harrisburg...

Once you hit the 4 lane (340 and 15) you should be good.    Parade is usually over between 2 and 3.    15S might be CF after that 'til 7 or so.   IIRC, last year wasn't bad at all.    Folks come from all over.    It's not all 15.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #106: November 20, 2015, 07:47:12 PM »

Gettysburg Address anniversary is November 19.   The Parade is annually the Saturday closest to the 19th.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #107: November 20, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »

The Gettysburg Address was delivered 11/19/1863 at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #108: November 20, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
The Gettysburg Address was delivered 11/19/1863 at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery.
Edward Everett Fan Club!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #109: November 22, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
Great day in Gettysburg yesterday.    It's amazing.    I've been there 30 or 40 times over the years and learn or see something new every time.   On occasion, it's about the people visiting and not the battle.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #110: November 23, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »

If you have a mind to...you may consider this:

http://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #114: December 02, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
"All the way."

http://wtop.com/arlington/2015/12/nonprofit-short-on-funding-for-thousands-of-arlington-national-cemetery-wreaths/slide/1/

OUT-freakING-STANDING!  :mg:

I would love to volunteer to place the wreaths, but we have family coming to the house on the 12th.  I will look to schedule this next year...

BTW - count on seeing me at Rolling Thunder next year...my daughter has approved my stay at her house the night before...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #115: December 02, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
OUT-freakING-STANDING!  :mg:

I would love to volunteer to place the wreaths, but we have family coming to the house on the 12th.  I will look to schedule this next year...

BTW - count on seeing me at Rolling Thunder next year...my daughter has approved my stay at her house the night before...  ;)

One of the ways to help deal with the ride in and/or out is to check into a local group (HOG, etc.) and ride with them.    It's odd as hell riding with all these folks ya don't know   ...   ya don't know their skills, etc.    I've started going over to the Marina (5 or 6 years) and walking over to the Pentagon lot from there.    Ya don't do the parade/demonstration ride but it's less taxing on an old guy.    :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #116: December 02, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »
One of the ways to help deal with the ride in and/or out is to check into a local group (HOG, etc.) and ride with them.    It's odd as hell riding with all these folks ya don't know   ...   ya don't know their skills, etc.    I've started going over to the Marina (5 or 6 years) and walking over to the Pentagon lot from there.    Ya don't do the parade/demonstration ride but it's less taxing on an old guy.    :)

I need to do the demonstration ride at least once...did the ride the day before once, but that was just bar hopping. 

Do you belong to a HOG group - I was a charter member in 1983, but I let my membership lapse when I left Hawaii...

I'll likely walk with you and the other old timers in 2017...  ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #117: December 02, 2015, 03:42:22 PM »
I need to do the demonstration ride at least once...did the ride the day before once, but that was just bar hopping. 

Do you belong to a HOG group - I was a charter member in 1983, but I let my membership lapse when I left Hawaii...

I'll likely walk with you and the other old timers in 2017...  ;)

I let my HOG membership lapse years ago.   I often joke that I got a bike to get away from people.    I rode for about 10 years and it's a CF (to me).    The Marina (Columbia Island) is about 1/4 mile from the N. Pentagon parking lot.    Walk over the foot bridge and roam around.   There are a lot of characters in that lot.    We walk around, checking bikes, military patches, displays, etc.   I've seen Gold Star Mothers, Medal of Honor recipients and everything in between roaming the parking lot.    It's like a big family reunion.   :)      Then when the ride starts, we stand by the exit and watch the riders depart.    We stay about an hour after the ride starts and then head over to the Marina.   There's a small diner there that sells food and beer.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #118: December 02, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »

There's a small diner there that sells food and beer. 

We'll have to coordinate our "efforts."   ;)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #119: December 02, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
We'll have to coordinate our "efforts."   ;)

OT   Have you ever been to Waugh's HD in Orange, VA?     Quite the place to hang out.     Usually headed down 2 or 3 times a year.    Always something goin' on.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/orange/harley-davidson-dealership-owners-in-orange-retiring-auctioning-museum-collection/article_c8fd9936-5cf8-52f8-b5f4-a1d469c0cc76.html

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #120: December 02, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
OT   Have you ever been to Waugh's HD in Orange, VA?     Quite the place to hang out.     Usually headed down 2 or 3 times a year.    Always something goin' on.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/local/orange/harley-davidson-dealership-owners-in-orange-retiring-auctioning-museum-collection/article_c8fd9936-5cf8-52f8-b5f4-a1d469c0cc76.html

Bought the King there...ordered what I wanted and got it under MSRP at the start of the '01 model run 15 years ago...

Big Daddy is a hoot and throws some good parties.  I haven't been there in over 10 years though, and likely wouldn't recognize the place now...it used to be something of a dump...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #121: December 02, 2015, 08:07:20 PM »
Bought the King there...ordered what I wanted and got it under MSRP at the start of the '01 model run 15 years ago...

Big Daddy is a hoot and throws some good parties.  I haven't been there in over 10 years though, and likely wouldn't recognize the place now...it used to be something of a dump...

As it relates to the "new" HD places, it's still a "dump".   But that's the charm.    The new places (Richmond, Manassas, East Coast, Grove's, etc.) are kind of sterile.    I can still smell the boss' pipe when I think about walking in the front door.    All the rocking chairs on the porch, the open picnic/party area, the band shelter, the antiques, etc.    Saw the FCPD cycle team there a few times as well.   My buddy was in the 82nd and had this thing about jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.   We'd take the short ride to the Orange CO Airport to watch 'em jump.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #122: December 02, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
Just visited the website.  They have improved the facade, but kept the charm...looks nice...

And yeah, Don sucked on that pipe all day long...never saw him without it...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #123: December 02, 2015, 08:14:58 PM »
Just visited the website.  They have improved the facade, but kept the charm...looks nice...

And yeah, Don sucked on that pipe all day long...never saw him without it...

Only place I've been to recently that still has that old charm is the dealership in Ft. Washington (HD of Washington IIRC).

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #124: December 02, 2015, 08:17:02 PM »
Only place recently that I've been to that still has that old charm is the dealership in Ft. Washington (HD of Washington IIRC).

Been there once...years ago though...the one time I was up there the day before Rolling Thunder...