Author Topic: National League Division Series, Game 4  (Read 62240 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: National League Division Series, Game 4
« Reply #875: October 11, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
The fans were absolutely unbelievable tonight.  I should have bought a standing room only ticket, it's cheaper and I was on my feet the whole time anyways.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #876: October 11, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
Bryce Harper: "I was just saying to myself, ‘If he gets on, I’ve got to bunt him over, so, 97 [mph] to bunt, that’s going to be pretty hard. I hope he hits a homer.’ And he hit a homer. I was excited, the fans were excited, it was electric in that place."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/oct/11/jayson-werths-nationals-teammates-react-his-walk-h/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #877: October 11, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
Saw the last 3 innings at Elephant and Castle.  You don't think of a downtown place like that erupting for something on TV, but you can imagine what happened.  I'm surprised the darn bar top did not give way I slammed the bar so hard.  Just one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a game.  I think I was more giddy this evening than I was in 2004 ALCS game 4 and game 5 because I went to sleep after those games. 

yes, I broke out the regular season cap I wear, and it worked.  Also had a "natitude" shooter last night, so had to have two this evening.  I'm so psyched for tomorrow, not the least because I drafted this game in my STH group draft.  Fair warning - I also have Game 7 of the World Series. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #878: October 11, 2012, 10:08:10 PM »
Werth AB was one of the sweetest things to watch.  I love a tough AB from a good hitter.  He had 11 straight pitches with 2 strikes.  What an at bat.

Meanwhile, I am on board with those wondering about lifting JZ when Davey did.  He's in line for sunday if we need him then.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #879: October 11, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Werth AB was one of the sweetest things to watch.  I love a tough AB from a good hitter.  He had 11 straight pitches with 2 strikes.  What an at bat.

Meanwhile, I am on board with those wondering about lifting JZ when Davey did.  He's in line for sunday if we need him then.

I'm assuming it was his throwing/practice day and they just told him to save it for the game?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #880: October 11, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
Any word on a rebroadcast?

Offline PC

« Reply #881: October 11, 2012, 10:21:40 PM »
Any word on a rebroadcast?

MLB Network tomorrow, usually in the morning.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #882: October 11, 2012, 10:38:59 PM »
Unbelievable!!! It was pure pandemonium when that ball went out! Cups and paper were flying all over the place after the homer, I've never heard the crowd so loud before. My voice was is hoarse lol from screaming after all those bullpen Ks and then the homer.

Don't have tickets for tomorrow yet so may settle for watching it in my basement.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #883: October 11, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
MLB Network tomorrow, usually in the morning.

No luck...my channel guide shows them replaying the two Game 5s from today tomorrow at 10:00 and 12:00. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #884: October 11, 2012, 11:04:28 PM »
Detwiler was fantastic. Clippard was fabulous. Storen was great. But ZNN was a darn ANIMAL on the mound tonight. He said he was drained when he finished his inning. Must've been the adrenaline. all hands on deck tomorrow night with ZNN being the possible exception. Tonight will serve as his bullpen session and he will be on schedule to start Sunday night.

I didn't read through this thread but how many were panicking because of the silent bats?

houston-nat was the first to post about the walkoff blast. An instant classic.  :clap:

HOLY freak

Offline Fan037

« Reply #885: October 11, 2012, 11:05:30 PM »
The pitching was so outstanding by Detweiler, Zimmermann (it was his throwing day), Clip & Storen.  And the home run by Werth was so thrilling.  I'm still reliving it!

Tomorrow our season rests on Gio and maybe Werth's home run will energize all of our hitters.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #886: October 11, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »
Detwiler was fantastic. Clippard was fabulous. Storen was great. But ZNN was a darn ANIMAL on the mound tonight. He said he was drained when he finished his inning. Must've been the adrenaline. all hands on deck tomorrow night with ZNN being the possible exception. Tonight will serve as his bullpen session and he will be on schedule to start Sunday night.

I didn't read through this thread but how many were panicking because of the silent bats?

houston-nat was the first to post about the walkoff blast. An instant classic.  :clap:

My sig tells you a lot about sportsfan's state of mind (re: the silent bats)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #887: October 11, 2012, 11:09:17 PM »
My sig tells you a lot about sportsfan's state of mind (re: the silent bats)

:lmao:  I have sigs turned off but I went to check your profile and read it with the time stamp. That was 22 or so minutes before Werth launched that rocket out of Nationals Park.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #888: October 11, 2012, 11:24:02 PM »
The best part is we are still due for an offensive outbreak!

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #889: October 11, 2012, 11:29:59 PM »
Only thing similar to Werth's AB, that I remember, is a 12-pitch at-bat by Paul O'Neill in the 2000 WS. Just kept reaching out and slapping the ball foul. Eventually walked or got a single; scored as the Yankees came back.

This was bigger.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #890: October 11, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
For those that haven't heard it, Charlies Slowes calls Jayson Werth's walkoff homerun.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2012/10/11/audio-jayson-werths-walk-off-home-run/

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #891: October 11, 2012, 11:35:37 PM »

He wants to pitch again tomorrow.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/10/11/jordan-zimmermann-wants-to-pitch-in-relief-again-on-game-5-after-dominant-inning-in-game-4/

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #892: October 11, 2012, 11:40:43 PM »
He wants to pitch again tomorrow.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/10/11/jordan-zimmermann-wants-to-pitch-in-relief-again-on-game-5-after-dominant-inning-in-game-4/
I loved you in relief, J-Zim, but SAVE YOURSELF FOR SUNDAY. Thank you!

Also, is that emotion on his face!?  :rofl:

Offline BerakosVA

« Reply #893: October 11, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »
Look at that picture, when have you ever seen that much emotion from jordan

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #894: October 11, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
Look at that picture, when have you ever seen that much emotion from jordan

Never. Loved it.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #895: October 11, 2012, 11:43:10 PM »
“Probably the most a lot of people have seen out of me,” Zimmermann said. “It’s hard to hold it in with 45,000 people screaming.”

Wow I'm happy we riled him up!!!

Also the picture for the lazy

I love it, Jordan. Just love it. STAY PUMPED!

Said Zimmermann: “I was a little jacked up. I struck out the side, and the fans were going nuts. I was trying to get the crowd into more than what they were.”

We loved you too, J-Zim.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #896: October 12, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
that was the greatest sporting event I have ever been too.... and I attended:

A) Wilson Ramos' walk off against the Mariners
B)... did I say Wilson Ramos' walk off against the Mariners?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #897: October 12, 2012, 12:02:36 AM »
Jayson Stark's piece on ESPN is must read:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8492596/jayson-werth-walk-home-run-saves-washington-nationals-season

Once, not so long ago, the Nationals couldn't get people in their town to come to this park. Then Jayson Werth sent a baseball flying off into history, and all of a sudden, people didn't want to leave this park.

For 10, 15, 20 minutes after his game-winning home run had clattered off the back wall of the visitors' bullpen, nearly all of the 44,392 customers who witnessed it remained frozen in place at their seats.

Spinning their red rally towels. Shrieking until their vocal cords hurt. Celebrating a moment they'd waited a generation to bask in. Doing whatever they could to hold on to the sort of feeling that makes being a fan worthwhile.

"Even doing interviews on the field [afterward], you could barely hear the other person talking," said closer Drew Storen. "It was that loud. It was one of those moments we'll never forget. We've seen those moments. But we've been on the other side of them. We've been in Philly. We've been in other places where we looked at each other and said, 'This is what we want to turn our place into.' I've always said that if we give these people something to cheer for, they will. And they did it today."

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #898: October 12, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »
Jayson Stark's piece on ESPN is must read:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8492596/jayson-werth-walk-home-run-saves-washington-nationals-season

That is true. My cousins and I had stayed in our "seats" (we were on our feet hugging and cheering) for about 10 minutes until we started to walk down (section 406) to the main concourse. We joined in - and started - some "LETS GO NATS" chants on the ramps like it were a Redskins victory (I've only seen such chants successfully happen there). It was something amazing. Then the bullpen was packed for about 3-4 hours AFTER the game.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #899: October 12, 2012, 12:26:28 AM »

Also, is that emotion on his face!?  :rofl:

A mild case of constipation.