Author Topic: Nats stuff in the Hall of Fame/Cooperstown  (Read 1301 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Nats stuff in the Hall of Fame/Cooperstown
« Topic Start: July 05, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
We visited the HoF in Cooperstown today, this was our third visit and it never ceases to amaze.  The Nats display though is sorely lacking, most of the stuff is pretty old - Alfonso Soriano's jersey, Zimm's cap from the opening game at Nats park, and a few other older items.  The newest item is the first ball Strasburg threw in his debut.  They also had Willingham's bat from his 2 GS game a few years back.  Of course there's plenty of Senators/Expos stuff, as well as Livo's world series jersey with the fish.

As I posted on the Harper compendium thread, many of the memorabilia shops in Cooperstown had Harper stuff in the window displays.  Signed Harper baseballs were going for $150-200.  I saw a Ryan Zimmerman rookie card for $5.00.  One shop had a 3-for-$15 bin of signed cards.  I saw Maxwell, Mock, Flores, Bergman, and Bally in there along with a few others I can't recall.  One shop had a framed commemorative plaque from Strasburg's debut, including dirt from the field and pictures with a brass plaque for $95.

If you haven't been there, it's worth the trip.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Nats stuff in the Hall of Fame/Cooperstown
« Reply #1: July 06, 2012, 01:07:06 AM »
Oh definitely!   Been there twice and the second time was for Cal Ripken s induction!  Only problem I have is they list the 1924 World Series among Minnesota WS!  My usual arguement that will go on and on and on (like the energizer bunny)!

Everyone kind of comes together at the area showing "Whos on First"!  Young old, and in between!  They all just stand there, watch and laugh!

Offline imref

« Reply #2: July 06, 2012, 09:00:53 AM »
Oh definitely!   Been there twice and the second time was for Cal Ripken s induction!  Only problem I have is they list the 1924 World Series among Minnesota WS!  My usual arguement that will go on and on and on (like the energizer bunny)!

Everyone kind of comes together at the area showing "Whos on First"!  Young old, and in between!  They all just stand there, watch and laugh!

the gift shop now has "who "what" and "i don't know" jerseys.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #3: July 06, 2012, 09:09:27 AM »
[...]If you haven't been there, it's worth the trip.

I'd love to see it but is there any way to get there without a car (I don't drive)?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: July 06, 2012, 09:11:50 AM »
I'd love to see it but is there any way to get there without a car (I don't drive)?

train or plain to Utica or Syracuse then bus (probably many buses) - it's in the middle of nowhere, beautiful country, but the middle of nowhere

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: July 06, 2012, 09:20:43 AM »
train or plain to Utica or Syracuse then bus (probably many buses) - it's in the middle of nowhere, beautiful country, but the middle of nowhere

They have trips to Cooperstown out of the Albany Airport as well.

OC:  If you like the grand old game at all, you really should go to Cooperstown. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #6: July 06, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »

You could take Greyhound all the way from DC. It appears from their website that it takes around 11 hours if it stays on schedule (recognizing traffic and the road construction in Maryland and New Jersey make that questionable). You leave DC at 7 AM and take an express bus to New York, arriving around 11:19, then change buses and take a local from New York to Cooperstown, leaving at 12:30 and arriving at 18:05 after something like 32 stops (as I have never ridden Greyhound, it's unclear to me whether it actually makes all those stops or whether they only stop if someone requests it).

It sounds to me as though taking Amtrak and then connecting (if possible) or else flying and then connecting (again, if possible) would be more palatable options.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: July 06, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
If you go out there, and bike a lot, take an extended bike tour- CNY in the spring is beautiful and has great weather

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #8: July 06, 2012, 09:44:15 AM »
You could take Greyhound all the way from DC. It appears from their website that it takes around 11 hours if it stays on schedule (recognizing traffic and the road construction in Maryland and New Jersey make that questionable). You leave DC at 7 AM and take an express bus to New York, arriving around 11:19, then change buses and take a local from New York to Cooperstown, leaving at 12:30 and arriving at 18:05 after something like 32 stops (as I have never ridden Greyhound, it's unclear to me whether it actually makes all those stops or whether they only stop if someone requests it).

It sounds to me as though taking Amtrak and then connecting (if possible) or else flying and then connecting (again, if possible) would be more palatable options.

They make the stops. I took a Greyhound from Las Vegas to here about 7 or 8 years ago. Took 3 days. I'm pretty sure I still haven't fully recovered. Wish I would have taken notes and what not as I could have written a very intersting book :lol:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #9: July 06, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »

I've checked out a few items of that sort - there is no direct Amtrak service, nearest would probably be Utica which is still some distance away. Nearest airport with direct service from here would be Syracuse but airfares would be ghastly (United Express is showing $715 return for nonstop flights, $561 if I want to connect in Boston, pricing in an open window I have in my schedule in August) and again quite a bit of ground to make up. No doubt about it, Cooperstown is isolated.

Offline imref

« Reply #10: July 06, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
If you go out there, and bike a lot, take an extended bike tour- CNY in the spring is beautiful and has great weather

yeah, gorgeous lake just up the road from the HoF.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: July 06, 2012, 10:22:44 AM »
I've checked out a few items of that sort - there is no direct Amtrak service, nearest would probably be Utica which is still some distance away. Nearest airport with direct service from here would be Syracuse but airfares would be ghastly (United Express is showing $715 return for nonstop flights, $561 if I want to connect in Boston, pricing in an open window I have in my schedule in August) and again quite a bit of ground to make up. No doubt about it, Cooperstown is isolated.

If you can get to Albany, NY, I will personally drive you to Cooperstown free of charge.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12: July 06, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
If you can get to Albany, NY, I will personally drive you to Cooperstown free of charge.

:clap: :clap:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #13: July 06, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »

Nice offer MF.  Very nice indeed  ..

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #14: July 06, 2012, 10:32:29 AM »
How much nicer is Cooperstown compared to Canton?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #15: July 06, 2012, 10:38:23 AM »

History going back to the civil war in a sport that's obsessed with history vs history for a sport that has only been popular on the pro level for 50 years? I'm biased though

Offline mitlen

« Reply #16: July 06, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »

The whole experience of Cooperstown is much better than Canton.   Once your inside the HOF(s), you're in a different world.   I love both sports and have been to both.  It's hard for me to pick one over the other.   One thing for sure, the areas surrounding each Hall will show you why pro football was founded in Canton and baseball is in Cooperstown.   BTW, Canton McKinley HS is located next to the football HOF.   They play the HOF game at the HS's stadium.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #17: July 06, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
I think we should get a WNFF get together in Cooperstown and play a SSS v. LoD baseball game on Doubleday Field and the GoINFU can be the umpires.

Offline RL04

« Reply #18: July 06, 2012, 11:24:46 AM »
We visited the HoF in Cooperstown today,   The Nats display though is sorely lacking,

:icon_question:

The team is only seven years old.   How much stuff can there be.

Offline RL04

« Reply #19: July 06, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
I'd love to see it but ... I don't drive

:icon_exclaim: :icon_question:

Is this a religious thing or something?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #20: July 06, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

:icon_exclaim: :icon_question:

Is this a religious thing or something?

Never developed any need for it - ever since I settled permanently in this area in 1977 I've resided and worked near good public transport; everything I need is either within walking distance or easily accessed by transit.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #21: July 06, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
I think we should get a WNFF get together in Cooperstown and play a SSS v. LoD baseball game on Doubleday Field and the GoINFU can be the umpires.

Weapons?

Offline jhuterp

« Reply #22: July 06, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
Thanks for the post.  Going for the first time in September, looking forward to it.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #23: July 06, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »

Great idea but if the SSS goes up by a couple of runs, the LOD would simply give up because they would be certain they would lose. You know, somebody would call "game" just to be first.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #24: July 06, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »
Great idea but if the SSS goes up by a couple of runs, the LOD would simply give up because they would be certain they would lose. You know, somebody would call "game" just to be first.

You still have no idea how LoD works, do you?