Author Topic: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 2  (Read 47887 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 2
« Reply #2050: April 29, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
Ramos (or anyone) having a bad game doesn't concern me.  However, Ramos has shown on a regular basis that he can't come up with "routine" catches at home plate and make the play.   The throw by Harper was so fine and early that a major league catcher had time to catch it, put two hands on the ball and still reach the runner.   It's not the one bad game.   It's the trend.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2051: April 29, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
i feel FOOD about this team at 14-7.

I don't feel so food about this team right now, we need more meat in the lineup when it comes to batting. Our bullpen sometimes likes to serve wins on a platter, and sometimes I think Davey has mashed potatoes for brains.

Hey mmzznnxx, I don't feel food about the fact that nobody commented on your post yet. It is 100% totally hilarious and excellent. Or should I say... delicious  :mg:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2052: April 29, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »
Worst game in our brief history in DC.

Not even close.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #2053: April 29, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
If you say with a straight face that this is the worst game in the history of the Nats, then you haven't watched this team since 2005.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2054: April 29, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »
If you say with a straight face that this is the worst game in the history of the Nats, then you haven't watched this team since 2005.

Opening day 2010.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #2055: April 29, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »

It's easy to go haha, what a bunch of hyperbolic morons. But actually, while every loss is an individual thing, I dare you to find a loss worse than this considering several factors. We are on a tear, won our first several series. This represents our first series loss of the season. It's against a team we may be competing against for a #1 seed. It's our first three game losing streak. We were bad in other seasons, bad games were expected. The only other season you can draw from would be 05

Then you have Strasburg on the mound. He pitches a gem. We have never had a pitcher like Strasburg before, where every game is an event and one we should win. Then add Harpers debut, on top of a Strasburg start, a once in a lifetime event. The world was watching, etc. Then to blow it in the ninth with two outs, only to lose to another Kemp HR one innings later, in extras? It might be hyperbolic, but given *everything* that came together to make this game what it was, when it was, while we are red hot, I don't really think you can find a bigger loss than this one. You'd either be talking about 20-0 shutouts or 9th innng heartbreakers. This one was an extreme case of the latter plus Stras plus Harper. So feel free to prove me wrong and point to a worse game than this one, because I can't think of one that eclipses this so much as to merit the straight face comment.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2056: April 29, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
Hey mmzznnxx, I don't feel food about the fact that nobody commented on your post yet. It is 100% totally hilarious and excellent. Or should I say... delicious  :mg:

you do realize i wrote FOOD b/c SF did too?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2057: April 29, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

Edit: NM, you did answer. My bad. This was a pretty bad loss, though.

Opening Day 2010 for me, though, and it's not close.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #2058: April 29, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »
Opening day 2010.

I almost stopped being a Nats fan after that game.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #2059: April 29, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
It's easy to go haha, what a bunch of hyperbolic morons. But actually, while every loss is an individual thing, I dare you to find a loss worse than this considering several factors. We are on a tear, won our first several series. This represents our first series loss of the season. It's against a team we may be competing against for a #1 seed. It's our first three game losing streak. We were bad in other seasons, bad games were expected. The only other season you can draw from would be 05

Then you have Strasburg on the mound. He pitches a gem. We have never had a pitcher like Strasburg before, where every game is an event and one we should win. Then add Harpers debut, on top of a Strasburg start, a once in a lifetime event. The world was watching, etc. Then to blow it in the ninth with two outs, only to lose to another Kemp HR one innings later, in extras? It might be hyperbolic, but given *everything* that came together to make this game what it was, when it was, while we are red hot, I don't really think you can find a bigger loss than this one. You'd either be talking about 20-0 shutouts or 9th innng heartbreakers. This one was an extreme case of the latter plus Stras plus Harper. So feel free to prove me wrong and point to a worse game than this one, because I can't think of one that eclipses this so much as to merit the straight face comment.

I agree.  And if it's possible to wake up from a hangover from a baseball game, without drinking, I just did.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2060: April 29, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
I think this topic has been done before, but I'll add the KC game where they beat Strasburg to avoid the sweep, the game last year when DJ left Livan in to blow a huge lead, and the game where Hanrahan balked in a run.  Probably some I'm missing from 2005 when we in the wild card hunt into September.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #2061: April 29, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
It is the next morning and this one still stings.  What a crappy Sunday :(

I still feel the sting, too.  But Sunday will take care of itself......if we win.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #2062: April 29, 2012, 11:46:08 AM »

For me, the game where Livo was pitching and we blew an 8-0 lead was the worst.  IIRC I looked it up and it's the biggest lead given up in a loss in Nats/Expos histories.  Didn't help that I was actually at the park that day.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2063: April 29, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
Worst game in our brief history in DC.

No.  And if you can get past the fact that it happened to our team, it was one of the most entertaining games you'll ever see that doesn't have any playoff implications.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2064: April 29, 2012, 01:13:14 PM »
you do realize i wrote FOOD b/c SF did too?

Oh, I missed that one.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2065: April 29, 2012, 01:15:07 PM »
I guess Moore didn't make the flight.

He's not even on the lineup card.

https://twitter.com/#!/washingnats/status/196648377059000320/photo/1

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2066: April 29, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
See if Pudge is willing to sign on to coach Ramos/Flores.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2067: April 29, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »
And if you can get past the fact that it happened to our team

Umm...

No.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2068: April 29, 2012, 01:25:20 PM »
See if Pudge is willing to sign on to coach Ramos/Flores.

I could do this:

"Hey Ramos, catch the flipping ball."

Offline GOON

« Reply #2069: April 29, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »
No. And if you can get past the fact that it happened to our team, it was one of the most entertaining games you'll ever see that doesn't have any playoff implications.

How does a die hard fan such as myself do something like that?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2070: April 29, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
Umm...

No.

That's fine, I don't really expect most fans on here to do that, but it really was a great game to watch from a purely entertainment standpoint.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #2071: April 29, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
Opening day 2010.

Yeah this was the worst for me.  We lost like 11-1 or something like that and it was a terrible all around experience.

edit - just checked and it was 11-1.  Box score actually looks better than how I remember the game (or as good as an 11-1 loss can look).  http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WAS/WAS201004050.shtml

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2072: April 29, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »
How does a die hard fan such as myself do something like that?

For starters, don't take a football mentality to a baseball game.  For me, it's just understanding that it's just a baseball game, live and die with each pitch, that's fine, but afterwards, if you're ruined by the outcome of a sporting event, especially an early season game, it's probably a sign that you're taking it too seriously.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #2073: April 29, 2012, 01:45:32 PM »
For starters, don't take a football mentality to a baseball game.  For me, it's just understanding that it's just a baseball game, live and die with each pitch, that's fine, but afterwards, if you're ruined by the outcome of a sporting event, especially an early season game, it's probably a sign that you're taking it too seriously.

It was really hard to do this last night. After the booing, the mooning, Hairston's bush league play, Mattingly stalling when H-Rod was trying to pick up the pace, the impending doom once H-Rod starting flinging the ball off the backstop, I'm not sure how any Nats fan watching that game didn't feel like their insides were ripped out.

But, to each their own.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2074: April 29, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
It was really hard to do this last night. After the booing, the mooning, Hairston's bush league play, Mattingly stalling when H-Rod was trying to pick up the pace, the impending doom once H-Rod starting flinging the ball off the backstop, I'm not sure how any Nats fan watching that game didn't feel like their insides were ripped out.

But, to each their own.

Oh, believe me, I was during the game, but stewing over it or obsessing over it for hours or more after its over it has never accomplished anything for me, especially for baseball, it just makes me a grumpy, miserable person to be around and that's not how I want to be or live.  In the game, I'm as into it as anyone, I promise.