Author Topic: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 2  (Read 47416 times)

Offline RD

Re: Nationals @ Dodgers, Game 2
« Reply #2025: April 29, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »
RD, opinion on Stammen closing? I think he's looked more like a closer than anyone else in our bullpen.

Honestly, Ive only seen Stammen pitch once this year. I think he's been tremendous so far, looking at the stats. So I really can't comment on how he's looked this year.

I definitely would've used him tonight. With the way Matt Kemp is playing, I didnt like trotting Gorzelanny back out there to face him. Its hard to just put him on base, since he has the speed to get himself into scoring position on his own. I would've put Stammen out there to start the thing. Unless I missed something on his availability tonight ... ?

As for Rodriguez, he has pitched well this season. I dont mind him being the closer. He's got overpowering stuff, and he's done very well this year. So I understand why he's in the role. But I know his history. We all do. As does Davey. When you watch his first pitch sail over the catchers head, that should immediately raise a red flag. He just doesn't seem to figure it out mid inning, so you have to be prepared when he goes into the game and immediately struggles with his control, you have to be aware he doesn't have it.

If Rodriguez continues to be up and down, I dont mind giving Stammen a chance. But Id still leave Henry there now. He's been consistently good this year. Im aware bad games happen to every pitcher, but you can tell very quickly when Henry is going to have a bad game.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2026: April 29, 2012, 01:15:11 AM »
Stammen closed in college

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2027: April 29, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »
i have faith in gio.  today offense - while yeah could've been better - put together some good ABs. 

wilson ramos f'd up on a big play, henry rodriguez was bad henry and gorzelanny got beat by the best player in baseball right now.

it's two games in a row, the nats were there from innings 1-10 with one of the best teams in baseball. 

i still feel good about this team.

Dude we are freaked. We'll have to have another 14-4 run to make me feel food about this team again.

We have crap for brains manager, closer, and catcher. And middle infielders that belong in AAA

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2028: April 29, 2012, 01:16:24 AM »
I literally just ate a pint of ice cream I am still that frustrated with this loss.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2029: April 29, 2012, 01:23:36 AM »
I literally just ate a pint of ice cream I am still that frustrated with this loss.

I'm going to a Brazilian steakhouse tomorrow :D

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2030: April 29, 2012, 01:25:20 AM »
Dude we are freaked. We'll have to have another 14-4 run to make me feel food about this team again.

i feel FOOD about this team at 14-7.  need better offense, but hopefully harper/moore provide that (and when zim returns) ... we're not going to win every 1-run game.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2031: April 29, 2012, 01:27:36 AM »
28-11 sounds great to me.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #2032: April 29, 2012, 01:27:51 AM »
I don't feel so food about this team right now, we need more meat in the lineup when it comes to batting. Our bullpen sometimes likes to serve wins on a platter, and sometimes I think Davey has mashed potatoes for brains.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #2033: April 29, 2012, 01:29:42 AM »
i have faith in gio.  today offense - while yeah could've been better - put together some good ABs. 

wilson ramos f'd up on a big play, henry rodriguez was bad henry and gorzelanny got beat by the best player in baseball right now.

it's two games in a row, the nats were there from innings 1-10 with one of the best teams in baseball. 

i still feel good about this team.

agree completely, except maybe about the Ramos play.  Was the consensus here really that he freaked up, seemed like a pretty clever play by Hairston to bang on his glove and knock the ball out

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2034: April 29, 2012, 01:40:07 AM »
MLB Network called this the best game of the year.

Not that, that means much in April... but I could easily see it standing the test of the season.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2035: April 29, 2012, 01:41:36 AM »

Not that, that means much in April... but I could easily see it standing the test of the season.
It was great till we lost

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2036: April 29, 2012, 02:46:56 AM »
Honestly, Ive only seen Stammen pitch once this year. I think he's been tremendous so far, looking at the stats. So I really can't comment on how he's looked this year.

I definitely would've used him tonight. With the way Matt Kemp is playing, I didnt like trotting Gorzelanny back out there to face him. Its hard to just put him on base, since he has the speed to get himself into scoring position on his own. I would've put Stammen out there to start the thing. Unless I missed something on his availability tonight ... ?

As for Rodriguez, he has pitched well this season. I dont mind him being the closer. He's got overpowering stuff, and he's done very well this year. So I understand why he's in the role. But I know his history. We all do. As does Davey. When you watch his first pitch sail over the catchers head, that should immediately raise a red flag. He just doesn't seem to figure it out mid inning, so you have to be prepared when he goes into the game and immediately struggles with his control, you have to be aware he doesn't have it.

If Rodriguez continues to be up and down, I dont mind giving Stammen a chance. But Id still leave Henry there now. He's been consistently good this year. Im aware bad games happen to every pitcher, but you can tell very quickly when Henry is going to have a bad game.

Good stuff. Stammen has looked powerful and dominant. Being a pitcher, I think you'd appreciate his mound presence.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #2037: April 29, 2012, 03:32:26 AM »
Still so freaking pissed about the outcome.

At least we got Moore now.

Desmond
Lombo
Werth
LaRoche
Harper
Moore
Espinosa
Ramos
Pitcher

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2038: April 29, 2012, 04:18:44 AM »
Wat?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2040: April 29, 2012, 07:34:34 AM »
Considering, so far, this is our best season ever, I am going to cut them some slack. We're actually keeping it close even if we are not winning every series. Don't forget this was HRod's first blown save of the year. One clown car game ain't going to kill us.

I don't know where to find the Nats records per month without just adding them up but my guess is that this has been their second best month since returning to DC.  June 2005 at 20-6 was one hell of a month, 15-2 at home.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2041: April 29, 2012, 07:35:47 AM »
Suddenly, I worry when the Nats starter is taken out.

- Clippard: yes, he's still Clippard.

- HRod: the good and the bad. I think he belongs as a 7th inning pitcher.

- Stammen: has grown up since 2010 (?) when he was a starter. Seems to have same kind of fire and confidence as Clippard. Can the Nats afford to use him as a closer? He's good at long relief. Maybe this team doesn't need long relief pitching as badly as before?

- Mattheus: a could-be.

That said, my memory of this game will be Harper and Harper, and more Harper: the kid's obvious confidence, comfort with the majors. The line-drive over Kemp's head. That throw...now the Nats have two Ankiel-arms in the OF.

(And I saw Pudge make that play at home. Saw it several times last year, at, what, 40? )

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2042: April 29, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
Just like how someone posted a curly W before the game was over.

Thank spider for that. So stupid.

Second time this season, just sayin  :?

I was confident the game was in the bag when Rodriguez recorded the second out. And for the record, he actually retired the third out as well but somehow things didn't work out.   :shrug: 

Offline GOON

« Reply #2043: April 29, 2012, 08:19:02 AM »

Worst game in our brief history in DC.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2044: April 29, 2012, 08:35:37 AM »
I don't know where to find the Nats records per month without just adding them up but my guess is that this has been their second best month since returning to DC.  June 2005 at 20-6 was one hell of a month, 15-2 at home.

Now I am curious. No luck yet.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #2045: April 29, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »
Woke up Beerfest on TV cool Boobs and Beer everything is better......oh that sexy Gam Gam and poor Barry the pancake dude.  14-7 record better than a lot of other teams in fact all of MLB but three.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #2046: April 29, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »
Just watched the rest of the game this morning.  Harper's throw to Ramos was a SEED.  Kid can play the field.  He made great contact on the double too. 

freak it.  Leave him up for good and replace Nady/Bernadina/Ankiel/etc.  Move him to CF when Morse comes back and let what happens happen.

Ramos had a really bad game last night.

Also:  Strasburg = GOD.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2047: April 29, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
Just watched the rest of the game this morning.  Harper's throw to Ramos was a SEED.  Kid can play the field.  He made great contact on the double too. 

freak it.  Leave him up for good and replace Nady/Bernadina/Ankiel/etc.  Move him to CF when Morse comes back and let what happens happen.

Ramos had a really bad game last night.

Also:  Strasburg = GOD.

When you only play 200 games a year, you aren't allowed to have a bad game.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #2048: April 29, 2012, 10:17:32 AM »
It is the next morning and this one still stings.  What a crappy Sunday :(

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #2049: April 29, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
Buck up little camper. Today is payback Sunday.