Author Topic: Interesting Quotes from Rizzo on Harper  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Interesting Quotes from Rizzo on Harper
« Reply #75: February 15, 2012, 01:12:08 PM »
And that concern over him rooting for non DC teams in other sports is insane.
The concern  isn't really that insane.

And the issue isn't rooting for non DC teams in other sports. The issue is expressing hate for a home team.  I don't personally care that he hates the Redskins or even that he expresses his hate for them, because I am no longer a serious Redskins fan.   As a Nationals fan I worry about the backlash and effect it will have on the team. 

The majority of sports fans in the DC area are Redskins fans and at best see any attention given to baseball as an annoyance.  It's an uphill battle for the Nats to become THE team in DC, which will have significant financial benefit.  For the man who many think is the future face of the franchise to bad mouth the Redskins just gives those fans more ammunition to hurl at the Nats, and more reason to dislike them. I can well understand why Rizzo might be annoyed. In fact I can imagine Dan Snider calling Rizzo and telling him "you need to tell your boy to shut up".  Rizzo doesn't need these headaches.  And we Nats fans don't need any more abuse from Redskin fans.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #76: February 15, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
I just can't believe how some fans can be so nitpicky. Nats fans have been complaining that Washington is always made fun of and use AAAA players.  Now that we have a real legitimate talent on the team he gets criticized for every single solitary action he gets. Seriously, what do you guys want?

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #77: February 15, 2012, 01:16:11 PM »
I  don't see Harper in the same category. Those two were certified nut cases with serious anger issues. Harper's stunts seem to be more of the good-nature  type, which does make a lot of difference.
             But yet, it was only after a lot of incidents that people called them (especially Plush) "nut cases"- do you really thing that a Major League pitcher is going to see Harper's antics, as good-natured -say if he blows him a kiss or throws his bat, etc. What you get away with in the Minor Leagues, is not necessarily viewed the same in the Major Leagues.....I'm just saying. Right now Rizzo has to be judging what he is seeing from Harper (aka the comments he gave), and how that will fit with the Nats players and the team's image. I would say that Rizzo's comments would be a tip-off that we won't see Harper any time soon (like this season) in a Major League game at Nats Park.....only my opinion.... but it would be a wise move for Rizzo to let Harper mature for another year in the Minor Leagues.  :popcorn:

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #78: February 15, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »
LOL Rizzo is nothing like Edsall - but keep your head up - Terps have Locksley now - Come on Down Stefon Diggs! 
And LOL at opposing teams chewing Harper up and spitting him out, that's such bullcrap. What is an opposing team going to do to him exactly? Plunk him with a pitch? Give him dirty looks? Use harsh language? Gimme a break. This is not hockey where there are real physical consequences for a person's behavior. 
And LOL at comparing Harper to Elijah Dukes and Tony Plush. What's next? The Anti-Christ?
This crap just gets stupider and stupider

Laugh all you want 2629 - I find alot of your opinions amusing and laugh alot myself when I read some of your views. But we all see things differently, and you and I are not the final authority. And if you don't get the comparisons I was making - so be it. All players mentioned, in my comments, have been tagged as being "immature" by the press - no one has flourished with that tag on them.    As to physical consequences -you never know what form revenge takes during a game. But hey, you just keep on LOL at what I say, and calling things "crap and stupid" ; after all, we all have a right to express our views - in any form of the English language we are accustomed to.  :bow:

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #79: February 15, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
I just can't believe how some fans can be so nitpicky. Nats fans have been complaining that Washington is always made fun of and use AAAA players.  Now that we have a real legitimate talent on the team he gets criticized for every single solitary action he gets. Seriously, what do you guys want?

I would be more concerned about what Rizzo wants - eh?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #80: February 15, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »
Laugh all you want 2629 - I find alot of your opinions amusing and laugh alot myself when I read some of your views. But we all see things differently, and you and I are not the final authority. And if you don't get the comparisons I was making - so be it. All players mentioned, in my comments, have been tagged as being "immature" by the press - no one has flourished with that tag on them.    As to physical consequences -you never know what form revenge takes during a game. But hey, you just keep on LOL at what I say, and calling things "crap and stupid" ; after all, we all have a right to express our views - in any form of the English language we are accustomed to.  :bow:

LOL

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #81: February 15, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
             But yet, it was only after a lot of incidents that people called them (especially Plush) "nut cases"- do you really thing that a Major League pitcher is going to see Harper's antics, as good-natured -say if he blows him a kiss or throws his bat, etc. What you get away with in the Minor Leagues, is not necessarily viewed the same in the Major Leagues.....I'm just saying. Right now Rizzo has to be judging what he is seeing from Harper (aka the comments he gave), and how that will fit with the Nats players and the team's image. I would say that Rizzo's comments would be a tip-off that we won't see Harper any time soon (like this season) in a Major League game at Nats Park.....only my opinion.... but it would be a wise move for Rizzo to let Harper mature for another year in the Minor Leagues.  :popcorn:

Do you know the rest of the story behind the "Kiss Blowing Episode"? No chance that a major league pitcher acts as bush as the opposing pitcher who served up the Harper Homer (TM).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #82: February 15, 2012, 02:30:04 PM »
Don't underestimate the evil that lurks around masquerading as women.  :lol:

hey annie

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #83: February 15, 2012, 02:31:53 PM »
the only thing cats eye is the final authority on is Adam Dunn :mg:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #84: February 15, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »
Do you know the rest of the story behind the "Kiss Blowing Episode"? No chance that a major league pitcher acts as bush as the opposing pitcher who served up the Harper Homer (TM).

Well, that is one consolation though, isn't it?  Pitcher's bat in the NL, so I guess a pitcher is just as likely to get plunked for being Bush League than anyone else.

I particularly enjoy the stories about grown men attending minor league baseball games who have nothing better to do than hurl obscenities at a teenager. Can you imagine?  Even umpires have gotten in on the fun, some of the calls made against Harper have been laughably bad. Though - MLB umpires are ego maniacal bags of suck, so there is that ...

I don't know what's wrong with people sometimes. God forbid someone be colorful and flamboyant.

It's funny that Harper mentions Joe Namath, because if Harper was in the NFL - I can't help but think his personality would be much more embraceable.

Offline blue911

« Reply #85: February 15, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
Bryce Harper turned me into a newt.

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #86: February 15, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #87: February 15, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
You're not a newt now

I got better

Classic movie

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #88: February 15, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
The concern  isn't really that insane.

And the issue isn't rooting for non DC teams in other sports. The issue is expressing hate for a home team.  I don't personally care that he hates the Redskins or even that he expresses his hate for them, because I am no longer a serious Redskins fan.   As a Nationals fan I worry about the backlash and effect it will have on the team. 

The majority of sports fans in the DC area are Redskins fans and at best see any attention given to baseball as an annoyance.  It's an uphill battle for the Nats to become THE team in DC, which will have significant financial benefit.  For the man who many think is the future face of the franchise to bad mouth the Redskins just gives those fans more ammunition to hurl at the Nats, and more reason to dislike them. I can well understand why Rizzo might be annoyed. In fact I can imagine Dan Snider calling Rizzo and telling him "you need to tell your boy to shut up".  Rizzo doesn't need these headaches.  And we Nats fans don't need any more abuse from Redskin fans.

Meh

I get what you're saying - and there is certainly validity to that - but if the Nats are contenders, the fan support will be huge - nobody will care that Bryce is a Cowboy's fan - that's just the way it works in this town.

In the meantime though, I'm sure it does annoy the die hards

Offline Rasta

« Reply #89: February 15, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
I believe I've read a tweet or even seen a picture of him with a coffee, Starbucks I believe.  Mormons aren't supposed to use caffeine either.

I also don't believe he's never had a soda.

Mormons are allowed to have caffeine these days.  I know plenty that occasionally drink coffee and sodas. 

Offline Ray D

« Reply #90: February 15, 2012, 03:26:28 PM »
Mormons are allowed to have caffeine these days.  I know plenty that occasionally drink coffee and sodas. 

And they take a nip, now and then.  See Big Love.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #91: February 15, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
I went to a Private Holiday Party at JW Marriott's house.

They served water and .....

water

I didn't stay long

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #92: February 15, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
Yeah I can understand that. I recall you had a bad experience drinking water once.  :shock:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #93: February 15, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »
Yeah I can understand that. I recall you had a bad experience drinking water once.  :shock:

LOL

I did - I  actually drank too much water at a football game and basically had a seizure

Seriously, if you're going to get carted out of a football game on a stretcher it should be because you drank too much Jack, not too much water - sigh

So much for my glamorous life

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #94: February 15, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
I remember that. It happened during the 2006 NCAA football season. That incident could've been averted if you had taken me to the game.  :?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #95: February 15, 2012, 04:30:51 PM »
I remember that. It happened during the 2006 NCAA football season. That incident could've been averted if you had taken me to the game.  :?

I'll know better next time :)

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #96: February 15, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
Well at least the FO isn't letting him slide. Glad about that.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #97: February 15, 2012, 06:20:53 PM »
This whole stupid thing is the equivalent to someone complaining about a kid saying "Merry Christmas" in a public school. When I last checked, this was America. Doesn't the United States fully support everyone no matter of their race, religion, ideology and (ahem) favorite sports team?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #98: February 15, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »
Dude put it in your pants :lol:

Offline Bloo

« Reply #99: February 15, 2012, 06:22:40 PM »
Dude put it in your pants :lol:

Aint got any at the moment.