Author Topic: Bryce isnt making friends in DC  (Read 19436 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Bryce isnt making friends in DC
« Reply #75: January 31, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »
I guess I'm not bothered by him not being a DC area fan so much.  But the fact that he's a Yankees fan scares the crap out of me.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #76: January 31, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »
OMG a 19 yo from Vegas isn't a Caps or Wizards fan! Everyone get your torches.

exactly. this is a non-issue.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #77: January 31, 2012, 11:06:31 PM »
I guess I'm not bothered by him not being a DC area fan so much.  But the fact that he's a Yankees fan scares the crap out of me.

Pray for an extension while he's here or else he's gone once he hits FA.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #78: January 31, 2012, 11:07:03 PM »
You obviously don't get what it's like being a 19 year old with broad opinions being on a national stage and also have the added advantage of the technical world in front of you.  Plenty of young people do this.  Bryce is being exactly what he is, a typical 19 year old.  He just happens to be in a 19 year old in the national spotlight with every twitter reading d'bag microscopically tearing apart everything he does.  I read twitter and I follow Bryce.  I'm nearly 24 and I get it.  He is trying to act his age because that is what his peers are doing and sometimes you have to let a kid act like a kid.  Just because he has a professional career does not mean you can look at others who are playing the game and treat him like that.

What I mean is don't treat a 19 year old like a 30 year old which seems to be the average MLB player age. 

19 is an adult and I expect him to act accordingly. Less Twitter nonsense and more gym work.

Griffey never bagged on Seattle teams. Never heard Jeter hate on NY teams.

Lebron is villified by most NBA fans for how he acted in Cleveland.

I'm not saying he has to root for for the Wizards or Caps. But don't say that you hate the teams that at least 75% of your fanbase roots for.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #79: January 31, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
My reaction to this topic :

It's like the people on this forum never did stupid things when they were 19. Was it dumb for him to say? Yes. Does it matter in any way, shape, or form? No. No it doesn't.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #80: January 31, 2012, 11:08:48 PM »
Pray for an extension while he's here or else he's gone once he hits FA.

Because Boras clients sign so many of those.

Face it. He's biding his time until.free agency. We're going to spend all this time grooming him for the majors and right as he's going to be hitting his Hall of Fame stretch, he's going to be a free agent.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #81: January 31, 2012, 11:13:21 PM »
certain.players try to make themselves fixtures.in a town(think.Ovie.going to skins.and wizards.games), others don't. His.job is to play baseball not ingratiate himself.to.the locals, but it.would be nice.if.he tried

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #82: January 31, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
I don't care that he's not a DC fan, but the fact that he's such a fairweather doesn't say good things about his personality.

« Reply #83: January 31, 2012, 11:28:48 PM »
Traded and then ear holed by HRod.

The problem is, with HRod's control issues if he aimed for the earhole the ball would probably go over the plate.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #84: January 31, 2012, 11:35:13 PM »
Tool.  I would not have bitten the hand that fed me at that age, and I was the most idiotic, self-destructive head case in the entire history of 19 year olds.

Ha, seconded.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #85: January 31, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »
certain.players try to make themselves fixtures.in a town(think.Ovie.going to skins.and wizards.games), others don't. His.job is to play baseball not ingratiate himself.to.the locals, but it.would be nice.if.he tried

this.

We'll forgive him when he hits 40 HRs, but at this point in his career he should be doing the Nuke LaLoosh bit rather than irking the city where's going to play for the next few years at least.

I wonder if he's ever seen Bull Durham?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #86: January 31, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
He seems like quite the dick.  Ah well, if he can play, whatever, but he had better be balls-out spectacular to justify this kind of high school jockstrap swagger.

As it were.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #87: January 31, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
god i'd rather watch Big Bang Theory than continue to have this "debate".

Hey JMAD is a Giants fan.  Berkley is a Ravens fan.  UMD is a Steelers fan.  But oh they root for the Nats, they should all give up those teams to jump to the skins!!!

move on people.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #88: January 31, 2012, 11:53:47 PM »
Serious question - who IS making friends in DC?  Certainly not any of the guys currently on the team.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #89: January 31, 2012, 11:54:49 PM »
19 is an adult and I expect him to act accordingly. Less Twitter nonsense and more gym work.

Griffey never bagged on Seattle teams. Never heard Jeter hate on NY teams.

Lebron is villified by most NBA fans for how he acted in Cleveland.

I'm not saying he has to root for for the Wizards or Caps. But don't say that you hate the teams that at least 75% of your fanbase roots for.

But Jeter and Griffey aren't and probably never were arrogant tools.  Harper is a arrogant, and may or may not grow out of it.  Once he gets humbled by something that he can't take down should do it, so maybe having him on the team right out of ST isn't such a bad idea.  Nothing like going toe to toe against Doc and Lee not to mention JJ in Miami and the live arms of the Braves plus their 7-8-9 shutdown.  If he can put them to shame than he can continue to be arrogant, but I doubt that happens.  I remember acting like a jerk when I was 19 and I'm pretty sure I grew out of it.  I think he will get there, it's just going to take time.  Plus I don't dig that he was so in the spotlight at such a young age.  Being on the cover of ESPN at 16 has to do something to you, just saying.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #90: February 01, 2012, 12:01:50 AM »

Hey JMAD is a Giants fan.  Berkley is a Ravens fan.  UMD is a Steelers fan.  But oh they root for the Nats, they should all give up those teams to jump to the skins!!!

move on people.

Exactly. But then there will people saying this doesn't matter because they aren't playing for a team in DC. It's not like it should matter. It's the same scenario. Both have something to do with the Nationals but that doesn't mean they should have something to do with anything else DC related.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #91: February 01, 2012, 12:06:03 AM »
But Jeter and Griffey aren't and probably never were arrogant tools.  Harper is a arrogant, and may or may not grow out of it.  Once he gets humbled by something that he can't take down should do it, so maybe having him on the team right out of ST isn't such a bad idea.  Nothing like going toe to toe against Doc and Lee not to mention JJ in Miami and the live arms of the Braves plus their 7-8-9 shutdown.  If he can put them to shame than he can continue to be arrogant, but Iu doubt that happens.  I remember acting like a jerk when I was 19 and I'm pretty sure I grew out of it.  I think he will get there, it's just going to take time.  Plus I don't dig that he was so in the spotlight at such a young age.  Being on the cover of ESPN at 16 has to do something to you, just saying.

Lot of maybies in that paragraph.

I have a hard time believing that he is going to change because he doesn't do as well. It takes a lot of.time for a person to change their behavior. Or a pretty drastic life event.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #92: February 01, 2012, 12:16:51 AM »
Serious question - who IS making friends in DC?  Certainly not any of the guys currently on the team.

Beast Mode

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #93: February 01, 2012, 12:21:20 AM »

Right.  Nobody likes Zimmerman/Morse/Strasburg.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #94: February 01, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »

Strasburg is lazy. Pitches a few games in 2010 and then takes a whole year off :P

Offline PC

« Reply #95: February 01, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
This kid and coke are going to have a long and intimate relationship.

I'm guessing meth.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #96: February 01, 2012, 12:54:39 AM »
This thread sucks. If you have nothing better to do than complain about some comment he made about which team he likes, you are probably just trying to hide alot of your own insecurities. Bryce is a really nice kid and if you are going to judge him by some comment made on twitter that you don't even know what tone he was saying it in.
So I dedicate this post to the pure awesomeness of Bryce Harper.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #97: February 01, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »

move on people.

Yeah, but they don't play for the Nats (yeah, I'm that guy, cmd).

IDGAF who he roots for.  He could have worded it better I guess, whatever.  He needs a handler or something.  Sort of a de-douchitizing filter.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #98: February 01, 2012, 01:16:50 AM »
Yeah, but they don't play for the Nats (yeah, I'm that guy, cmd).

IDGAF who he roots for.  He could have worded it better I guess, whatever.  He needs a handler or something.  Sort of a de-douchitizing filter.

I mean I'd like it for him to enjoy the DC teams that I do. It would be cool to relate to a DC player and see that he is also rooting for your teams. Maybe he'll gather some sense down the road and at least save face by attending Caps/Wizards games (I can understand him not attending Redskins games) but for now, I really don't care too much.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #99: February 01, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »

But all of those guys are extremely quiet.