Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 205659 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

i wonder how long before Angelos starts floating the idea of moving the Orioles out of Baltimore.  I'm guessing the team isn't very profitable anymore.

I can't see that happening. I think they are still profitable. They also play in one of the nicest ballparks in all of baseball.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
To me, the idea that the Nats get second class treatment from MASN as far as programming goes has always been overblown.  Best I can tell it's an equally terrible product for the O's.

To me, the idea that MASN is a terrible product is overblown.  Back in the day half the games weren't on TV, then when they were scheduled but either the audio or the video or a random blackout was a frequent occurrence, but for the past couple seasons every game has been on and the HD looks fine to me.  When travelling I've seen games from other areas and MASN looks fine by comparison.  As far as the other content, who cares, I tune into the games, the classic games are cool but I really wouldn't notice if they were never shown.  Sure a few extra Nats related shows would be nice, but if there was a market for it then Comcast or the local broadcast stations would meet the demand, as low as our ratings are I don't see it being cost effective to program a lot of hours to talking about the team.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I can't see that happening. I think they are still profitable. They also play in one of the nicest ballparks in all of baseball.

Nice park but very over-rated.  At the time it was a trendsetter, but being the first isn't worth much now.  I much prefer the parks like ours and the one in Philly where the concourses are open to the field.

The question that has interested me about the concept of the Os moving is what happens to the Nats TV rights.  Does Angelos retain control of the Virginia, DC, Maryland, and North Carolina markets if he moves his team to Portland?  If so he has a strong incentive to move in order to gain another television market.  But if he is forced to leave his claim to this market behind he'll never move.

Offline HalfSmokes

Nice park but very over-rated.  At the time it was a trendsetter, but being the first isn't worth much now.  I much prefer the parks like ours and the one in Philly where the concourses are open to the field.

The question that has interested me about the concept of the Os moving is what happens to the Nats TV rights.  Does Angelos retain control of the Virginia, DC, Maryland, and North Carolina markets if he moves his team to Portland?  If so he has a strong incentive to move in order to gain another television market.  But if he is forced to leave his claim to this market behind he'll never move.

My guess is that to get permission to leave he'd have to give up the rights in exchange for the new market, that is unless he doesn't mind local fans seeing mariners games instead of the home team on local television

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Old Man Lerner didn't get $3 billion by being a pushover. Ted's got plenty of lawyers on staff and I'm sure he's not afraid of Angelos.

Exactly. We can argue all day about them as owners, but the Lerner family is damn good at business and although 30 million extra a year may not make or break them, it's a huge point of principle. I doubt they like having a not as wealthy owner in a lesser quality market try to dictate terms of a business agreement to them.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I doubt they like having a not as wealthy owner in a lesser quality market try to dictate terms of a business agreement to them.

:crackup:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
The MASN deal could have been challenged and tossed out long ago. MLB just wanted to avoid a hassle with Angelos. The fact is that Angelos had not claim, and his threat to sue unless he was financially compensated is actually an act of extortion. The contract should have been voided and Angelos disbarred and sent to prison.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Has the TV rights deal with MASN changed recently ?  Are the Nationals getting a larger share of TV revenue now ?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Has the TV rights deal with MASN changed recently ?  Are the Nationals getting a larger share of TV revenue now ?

Why?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
The Nationals seem to be spending more (such as considering Prince Fielder) and it hasn't been the Lerner's way.  Also, was there a time clause in the original MASN/Angelos agreement and has that time expired ?

Why?

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
The Nationals seem to be spending more (such as considering Prince Fielder)

They're Mindspending

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
They're Mindspending

This.

The Nationals seem to be spending more (such as considering Prince Fielder) and it hasn't been the Lerner's way.

I'm considering buying a carbon fibre Trek bike, like my hero Ali the Baseball Chat.  Will I pony up the shekels to make that happen right now?  No.  Do I still get credit?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
They're Mindspending

They stepped right up to the plate and boldly offered less than the market rate.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Is mindspending the new mindfacts

Offline blue911

The Nationals seem to be spending more (such as considering Prince Fielder) and it hasn't been the Lerner's way.  Also, was there a time clause in the original MASN/Angelos agreement and has that time expired ?

When you combine it with the Orioles cutting payroll, I would say either a deal has been cut or arbitration numbers have been exchanged. I don't see ownership increasing spending without additional income already on the books.

Offline Gleason2

Also, was there a time clause in the original MASN/Angelos agreement and has that time expired ?

The contract goes in perpetuity as far as I know.  The Nats will never be free from it unless Angelos lets them out.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

Offline DPMOmaha

Any update on this?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Angelos will move the Orioles to St Louis, since it's a better baseball town. Nats expected to move AAA franchise to Baltimore, since Baltimore has always been a minor-league town.

[OK...I made that up...but it would be justice, considering that the Nats were forced to allow the Browns to relocate to Baltimore.]

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
When you combine it with the Orioles cutting payroll, I would say either a deal has been cut or arbitration numbers have been exchanged. I don't see ownership increasing spending without additional income already on the books.
Quoted for intelligence

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
"Any update on this?"

Yes. Angelos still planning on selling the Browns back to St Louis. Puzzled that Bill Veeck has not returned his phone calls.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Good Morning Good Aftenoon Good Night Washington Capitals Fans!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
The Caps are going to be on MASN?