Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 177806 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #1475: June 26, 2014, 12:54:22 PM »
Timely info for me.  I'd love to hear more about using CapitalBikeshare to get to/from the games - I'm a CB newbie.  My employer offered a corporate CB membership for $25/year so we bit.  We usually Metro to Union Station and walk to the ballpark, saving a change of Metro lines.  We have tix for this Tuesday, and thought for our inaugural ride, we'd grab a CB bike at Union Station to take to the ballpark.  Are you saying that sometimes the racks are full when you arrive?  We saw CB refilling the rack after Sunday's game, but I never thought of it being full before the game.  We usually get there about an hour before game time - do you think we'll be able to grab a space then? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1476: June 26, 2014, 04:57:39 PM »
There is a big rack across from the bike valet and Will Call window on Potomac Ave.  I don't even try to use that most of the time. There is a rack right by DOT on M and NJ Ave that I use.  There's usually a spot because I think a lot of the DOT workers use bikeshare to get home, so if you pull up near 6 pm a lot of them have either left or are leaving.  There are a couple more racks in the area but I'm not sure (you can check the maps). 

Leaving a game, they can run out of bikes at Potomac Ave if your timing is off.  Again, the one by M and NJ Ave seems to have some if the one on Potomac Ave runs out.  I'm not too keen on riding at night, even with the lights on the bikes, so I've always metro'd after night games.

Offline wj73

« Reply #1477: June 27, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Thanks - agree about the concern of riding at night, especially since I haven't been on a bike in a decade or two.  Another reason we'll probably Metro home or at least walk back to Union Station instead of biking - it's all uphill going that way!   :mg: 

Thanks for the tip on the stand near DOT.  I found this analysis of the various CB stands - it crunched the data for each CB stand near the ballpark, and calculated the average number of minutes before the game when the stands filled.  http://rausnitz.com/blog/2013/08/nationals-bikeshare-3.html

Offline madj55

« Reply #1478: June 29, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »
How early should one arrive if they want to get a Harper bobblehead? I know it's a Monday night game, but I feel like the lines are gonna be absurd.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1479: June 29, 2014, 05:48:18 PM »
How early should one arrive if they want to get a Harper bobblehead? I know it's a Monday night game, but I feel like the lines are gonna be absurd.

25K at the gate  ...   I was listening to Byron Kerr on 106.7 today and he had a Nats' person on.    She said if you don't get one at the gate, there may be another way to get one.    Not sure of the details   ....    It's gonna be a give-away at all entrances.   On occasion, not too many folks are at the home plate entrance.    They're usually backed up at the CF entrance.

Offline madj55

« Reply #1480: June 29, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
25K at the gate  ...   I was listening to Byron Kerr on 106.7 today and he had a Nats' person on.    She said if you don't get one at the gate, there may be another way to get one.    Not sure of the details   ....    It's gonna be a give-away at all entrances.   On occasion, not too many folks are at the home plate entrance.    They're usually backed up at the CF entrance.
Thanks! I wasn't sure if they were gonna give em away at all the entrances, that helps a lot.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1481: June 29, 2014, 08:51:18 PM »
Usually with Bobbleheads.  In the store if you buy a Tshirt, they give you a bobblehead with it.  Not announced.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1482: June 29, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »

At least 1 hr.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1483: June 29, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
Gates open 2 1/2 hours before the game.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1484: June 30, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Rockies have actually been a pretty good draw here at times - last year we hosted a Th/Fr/Sa/Su series against them (20th-23rd June); each of the four fixtures drew at least 31,927 with the Sunday finale breaking 39k.

Should ordinarily be a little less tonight, what with it being a Monday night, 30% chance of rain with isolated thunderstorms from mid-afternoon through early match time.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1485: June 30, 2014, 08:54:03 AM »
Rockies have actually been a pretty good draw here at times - last year we hosted a Th/Fr/Sa/Su series against them (20th-23rd June); each of the four fixtures drew at least 31,927 with the Sunday finale breaking 39k.

Should ordinarily be a little less tonight, what with it being a Monday night, 30% chance of rain with isolated thunderstorms from mid-afternoon through early match time.

It's a Harper bobblehead night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1486: June 30, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »

It's not the Rockies that are drawing, it's the fact that it's a June weekend that draws. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1487: June 30, 2014, 09:47:07 AM »
You should be plenty ok to get there a half hour before and probably even at game time.  Nats crowds are notoriously late arriving.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #1488: June 30, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
You should be plenty ok to get there a half hour before and probably even at game time.  Nats crowds are notoriously late arriving.

Last's years Harper bobblehead was gone by 12:30 with a 1:30 game, admittedly, it was a Sunday afternoon game, but if you really gotta have one, 30 minutes before game time is probably not going to do it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1489: June 30, 2014, 10:34:04 AM »
What do people do with all of these bobbleheads?  At least it's the Rox and not the Phillies or Barves, or area ERs would be flooded with emergency extraction cases

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1490: June 30, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
Last's years Harper bobblehead was gone by 12:30 with a 1:30 game, admittedly, it was a Sunday afternoon game, but if you really gotta have one, 30 minutes before game time is probably not going to do it.
Always best to get there early but if they are giving away 25,000 I don't see how 25,000 would be gone by 6:00 pm.
Not a weekend as you say.  Good advice by others to avoid the CF gate.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1491: June 30, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
What do people do with all of these bobbleheads? 

See Galah's avatar   ...   :P.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1492: June 30, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
What do people do with all of these bobbleheads?  At least it's the Rox and not the Phillies or Barves, or area ERs would be flooded with emergency extraction cases

They look great on my bookshelf at work. 

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #1493: June 30, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »

I've got 22 of them lined up on shelves in my office, they keep our record over the past 22 game (currently 12-10)
I live with a very understanding and patient woman, but they make a good conversation piece at the office (especially since the home office is in Pittsburgh)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1494: June 30, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »

glue them to the hood of my car.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1495: July 01, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
We have them lined up on bookcase shelves

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1496: July 01, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »
Whoever suggested going into Nats Park at any gate other than the Centerfield gate, thank you.  We went into the right field gate, got our Harper bobbleheads, and got seats in the Red Porch bar while many lined waiting up at the Centerfield gate.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1497: July 01, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
Whoever suggested going into Nats Park at any gate other than the Centerfield gate, thank you.  We went into the right field gate, got our Harper bobbleheads, and got seats in the Red Porch bar while many lined waiting up at the Centerfield gate.

I accept full responsibility for posting that on Sunday.    :)

Offline wj73

« Reply #1498: July 02, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
Capital Bikeshare worked last night - we took Metro from Glenmont to Union Station, grabbed a CaBi bike, rode through Capitol Plaza then basically coasted downhill on New Jersey Avenue all the way to the ballpark.  There was very little traffic to contend with.  We were able to park the bikes at the stand right next to the ballpark. 

I hate having to wait to transfer from the red to green line - with Metro, you never know how long that'll take.  By getting off at Union Station, we save having to transfer, plus it was FUN!  Something about riding a bike across Capitol Plaza brought home to me how lucky we are to live here.  People come from all over the world to visit our city and see sights like the Capitol building, and we get to pedal past it on our way to a baseball game like it's nothing. 

We didn't try to bike back in the dark and heat, but grabbed the Circulator back to Union Station.  Another bonus of going by way of Union Station - it provides a good spot for a bathroom break if needed.   :mg:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1499: July 02, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
Yes, the sights are pretty neat when you take that ride.  I always get a kick out of coming down Pennsylvania Ave from the Fed Triangle area and just looking up at the Capitol when I'm stopped at a light.