Author Topic: Caps and Wizards get more exposure outside of DC Metro  (Read 725 times)

Offline bob2274

With competition looming from MASN, it looks like Comcast SportsNet is starting to show overflow games outside of the 50 mile radius of Washington. For several years, when there was a Caps game on at the same time as a Wizards game, the overflow game was typically shown on News Channel 8 or CN8 only within the 50 mile territory. Outside of the area, these games were only available via NHL Center Ice or NBA League Pass. Last night, the Caps game on CSN+ was blacked out for me where it never had been before. Later in the evening, I looked at the CSN website where it listed all of the channels where CSN+ games are shown, and it said that Richmond had it on channel 43. While the channel hasn't started yet, and no one at Comcast known when it starts (surprise!), it's nice to know that almost all Caps and Wizards games will be on basic cable thoughout the region. The bad part is that unless your particular system is carrying the CSN+ feed, the game gets blacked out on NHL Center Ice, and you may be in for a MASN type battle just like the last two years. We'll see what happens.

Offline Rojo Johnson

• formerly Southeast Jerome
  • nages leave
It looks like ch 43 is showing college hoops on Saturday.

Offline bob2274

Channel 43 showed the Caps game tonight. I suspect it will be MASN+ in the summer. I'm kind of surpirised that Comcast is devoting an entire analog channel to show just these games, but I guess it gives them an advantage. I don't think DirecTV is carring CSN+ yet. Since CSN+ now reaches us, these games will be blacked out on NHL Center Ice in the entire region, whether the local provider shows CSN+ or not. It also makes CSN the exclusive carrier of these extra games here. Of course, that's just fine with me. I'd much rather see Joe and Craig than listen to the guys on NESN talk about how great the Bruins are.