Author Topic: Webb wins NL Cy Young  (Read 2056 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Topic Start: November 14, 2006, 04:37:27 PM »
PHOENIX -- Arizona right-hander Brandon Webb made his first All-Star appearance in 2006 and ran off a 30-inning scoreless streak. Now he has capped the year off with his greatest achievement. On Tuesday, Webb was named the National League Cy Young Award winner by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Webb tallied 103 points in the balloting, earning 15 first-place votes, seven second-place votes and seven third-place votes. He outdistanced San Diego's Trevor Hoffman (77) and St. Louis' Chris Carpenter (63). Hoffman (12), Carpenter (2) and Houston's Roy Oswalt (3) also received first-place votes.

Webb, 27, finished the season with a 16-8 record and 3.10 ERA in 33 starts. His 16 wins tied five other pitchers -- the Reds' Aaron Harang, the Dodgers' Derek Lowe and Brad Penny, the Braves' John Smoltz and the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano -- for the most victories in the National League, though it is the lowest win total by a starting pitcher to win the Cy Young in any year not shortened by labor issues.

Webb's 16 wins set a new career high while his eight losses were also the fewest he has recorded in his four-year big league career.

The Kentucky native becomes the second D-backs pitcher to win the award, following in the footsteps of Randy Johnson, who won four consecutive Cy Young Awards from 1999-2002.

Offline Dave B

Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Reply #1: November 14, 2006, 06:04:45 PM »
Ramon Ortiz got screwed

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Reply #2: November 14, 2006, 06:25:45 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Ramon Ortiz got screwed

Hahaha, you nearly made me spew my drink all over the screen :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Reply #3: November 14, 2006, 06:26:34 PM »
classic.  :rofl:

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Reply #4: November 14, 2006, 08:40:53 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
Ramon Ortiz got screwed

LMAO Nice one.

Solid Choice, would've rather seen Carpenter win it though.

Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Reply #5: November 14, 2006, 08:49:17 PM »
Personally, for the work that made Kenny Rogers the guy he was this season, I think the Cy Young should of gone to Pine Tar.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Webb wins NL Cy Young
« Reply #6: November 14, 2006, 08:54:16 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
Personally, for the work that made Kenny Rogers the guy he was this season, I think the Cy Young should of gone to Pine Tar.
Uh...we here at the Nats Forum after gruelling analysis and astute deduction determined that the aforementioned substance was actually Hooters Wing Sauce - not pine tar.