Author Topic: Japan Earthquake...  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Japan Earthquake...
« Reply #150: March 21, 2011, 12:21:11 PM »
Just got word from the girlfriend that her friends body was recovered today. She was over in Japan teaching English.

She knew the girl since Middle School. They hadn't spoken in about a year... but just a week prior to the quake/tsunami, the girl writes a post on my girlfriends Facebook wall saying how she missed her and was thinking about her. Just a week later, she's gone.

Life is crazy. Always cherish your loved ones and family while you still have them.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #151: March 21, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
Sorry for the loss and its impact on those who held her dear.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #152: March 21, 2011, 12:53:10 PM »
Worst part was, the parents got a call from a Japan hospital, saying her name was on their list of patients... but when the American Red Cross workers in the area got to the hospital to make sure it was true, it turned out to be a miscommunication... so for a day, the parents thought she was alive, but today, they found her.

On the bright side, she got all of the kindergarten children she was teaching to safety before she passed.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #153: March 21, 2011, 01:46:46 PM »
Just got word from the girlfriend that her friends body was recovered today. She was over in Japan teaching English.

She knew the girl since Middle School. They hadn't spoken in about a year... but just a week prior to the quake/tsunami, the girl writes a post on my girlfriends Facebook wall saying how she missed her and was thinking about her. Just a week later, she's gone.

Life is crazy. Always cherish your loved ones and family while you still have them.

sorry to hear the news.  It's heartbreaking to hear of the stories coming out now of those who were found with backpacks full of personal belongings, trying to get away but ran out of time.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #154: March 21, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Earthquake, tsunami, and nuclear meltdown.  Really puts our lives in perspective.  My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #155: March 21, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about this.
Worst part was, the parents got a call from a Japan hospital, saying her name was on their list of patients... but when the American Red Cross workers in the area got to the hospital to make sure it was true, it turned out to be a miscommunication... so for a day, the parents thought she was alive, but today, they found her.

On the bright side, she got all of the kindergarten children she was teaching to safety before she passed.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #156: March 21, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Some friends of mine over there are looking to host displaced families :clap:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #157: March 22, 2011, 12:11:10 AM »
I've been hearing a lot lately about the possibility of thorium reactors and their purported advantages. Anyone know more about them beyond my admittedly non-physicist brain?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #158: March 22, 2011, 12:37:52 AM »
My grandparents were early investors in Thorium Energy, Inc...the appeal at the time was that the fuel could never be weaponised.  I think that there is a lot less radioactive waste as well.

My grandmother (age 97 as of today) went to their annual shareholders meeting in Manhattan last year. The old bird apparently grilled everyone during the Q&A, and then invested more money.  I'd say its a buy :-)

I've been hearing a lot lately about the possibility of thorium reactors and their purported advantages. Anyone know more about them beyond my admittedly non-physicist brain?

Offline imref

« Reply #159: March 22, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »

Check this out:
http://bravenewclimate.com/2009/12/17/lftr-in-australia/

This is, IMHO, the best site out there for all things nuclear (and for getting an accurate view into events at Fukushima).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160: March 22, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »
I listened to an alumni lecture a few years ago regarding green chemistry and green engineering where the issue of substituting Thorium for Uranium came up.  The professor was a skeptic of Uranium / Plutonium based nuclear power more or less because of the inherrent hazard of the material and its handling (basically, his approach to engineering is to remove the hazard whenever it is possible through safer design and chemicals in the process and product development stages).  He recognized that Thorium or other fissile material might be inherrently less hazardous than Uranium and Plutonium and less prone to catastrophic failure, but he still had some doubts.  Frankly, at that point, I started to get lost a bit.  I thought it was a waste issue and an issue about hazard still remaining in a reaction, but I don't recall the specifics.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: March 22, 2011, 09:35:22 AM »

Did you catch the pieces on the news about her?  Brian Williams ended his Monday night NBC nightly news with a story on her, what she was doing there, and her family hear.  They mentioned her getting her class out but could not get herself clear.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #162: March 24, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
http://badassoftheweek.com/akaiwa.html (has cuss words so not sure if SFW)

TL;DR

Man saves wife and mom from his house right after tsunami hit. He swam through a "10 foot lake" with scuba gear on.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #164: March 25, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
I couldn't stand him shaking the camera around enough to watch more than 10 seconds of it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #165: March 25, 2011, 07:11:45 PM »
Maybe if you fast forwarded to toward the end, you'd understand why he was shaking around.  I'd have been scared crapless.  But yeah, it did kind of make me a little nauseous from all the moving around.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #166: March 25, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
Maybe if you fast forwarded to toward the end, you'd understand why he was shaking around.  I'd have been scared crapless.  But yeah, it did kind of make me a little nauseous from all the moving around.

My understanding is not a requisite to justifying my personal preferences regarding toleration of camera shake.  In fact, no justification is even required.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #167: March 25, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
Ok.  Wanna hug it out?  :?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #168: March 25, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »
Ok.  Wanna hug it out?  :?

No but I'll give you 50 bucks to take a shot to the junk :whip:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #169: March 25, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
I don't know what's going on.  What is this I don't even :shrug:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #170: March 25, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #171: April 07, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »
Apparently Japan was hit with another earthquake today, this time a 7.1.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #172: April 07, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »

:'( Pray for Japan

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #173: April 07, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »
Is there anything else to knock down. Jeez.:(

Offline imref

« Reply #174: April 08, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »

MSNBC has a front page story on her today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42486669/ns/us_news/

her family has set up a foundation to aid in the rebuilding.