Author Topic: MLB & Division Watching (2011)  (Read 110319 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: MLB & Division Watching (2011)
« Reply #3275: December 17, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »
the sec uses that as an excuse to settle with no fact finding and no admission of guilt all the time

Exactly. They could have just settled and had Bonds pay like 500k or something.

In an ideal world, you would prosecute everyone who committed a crime, but we have neither the time nor money to do so (as I said above).

90% of the time, I'm an idealist, but I come down on the realist side here.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3276: December 17, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
Sure, but that's not what you said.  They prosecuted Bonds for lying under oath, why he lied under oath is irrelevant, no matter how wasteful.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3277: December 17, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
The decision to take Bonds to trial was just a horrendous call by the prosecutor.  You settle this thing out when you have a case this flimsy.  Count after count was thrown out or dropped ahead of time.  In theory, this should pare down your case to your strongest count, but whoever the heck the superviser was for the prosecutor should have had a sense that this guy was overconfident. 

The way things work is that the government will steamroll little guys, but if they go after someone who has competent defense and money, the odds quickly get closer to even or favoring the defendant.  The government then has to make a decision on the importance of the case and whether to go all in.  Even then, the government will lose more than the testosterone overdosing prosecutors think is possible.   When it is big stakes, everyone is better off cutting a deal. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3278: December 17, 2011, 03:10:17 PM »
How ironic I used the phrase "testosterone overdosing" in connection with the prosecution in this case and not Bonds.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #3279: December 17, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
The IRS agent that started this whole mess (Jeff Novitzky) should have to get in the Octagon with Brock Lesnar and get his azz beat senseless.  Was this whole thing a waste of time?  No doubt.  Ignoring the reason for the original trial, Bonds should have been sent to prison instead of this whole house arrest nonsense.  The whole thing is a crapshow.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #3280: January 07, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
2012 discussion continues here:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25483.0