Author Topic: Long Term Second Base Options  (Read 3020 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Long Term Second Base Options
« Topic Start: May 31, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »
Anderson Hernandez looks like he might not pan out to be anything other than a back-up, utility 2B-man off the bench.

Throughout the Minors we don't have many decent 2B options unless they want to convert some guys to that position.

Here is a list of some of the 2010 2B Free Agents:

Ronnie Belliard

Jamey Carroll

Akinori Iwamura

Adam Kennedy

Felipe Lopez

Mark Loretta

Omar Infante

Placido Polanco

Freddy Sanchez (Option year)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Long Term Second Base Options
« Reply #1: May 31, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »
Out of those guys, I'd take Iwamura. Solid all-around player.

I can't believe he had 44 homers in Japan in '04. :shock:

« Reply #2: May 31, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »

"I am the Great Cornholio!"

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: May 31, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »
Iwamura or Polanco

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: May 31, 2009, 08:31:54 PM »
Out of those guys, I'd take Iwamura. Solid all-around player.

I can't believe he had 44 homers in Japan in '04. :shock:
he'll be coming off a bad injury. they have an option on him too. A lot of those guys have option years.

We might be better off trading for a 2B-man.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: May 31, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »
I would just assume stick with hernandez over those guys

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #6: May 31, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
I would just assume stick with hernandez over those guys
yeah I thought the same thing. Still I'm not sure if Hernandez is going to be good enough to be a long term starter on a winning team for us.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #7: May 31, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »
Hernandez is a decent glove and has been surprisingly productive at the plate. But he is not ideal. We should have gone after Hudson in the offseason. He was willing to come here and not signing him was another failure by Bowden and the Lerners/Kasten. Hernandez has indeed made some boneheaded plays, but that is something that is happening due to an overall systemic problem. It is pretty clear he has good skills. The problem is, to be an elite team, you want a 2B that not only is part of a great tandem in the middle, but brings some offensive pop. Hernandez is certainly good to have in the system, but is not an ideal starter.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #8: May 31, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
Hernandez is a decent glove and has been surprisingly productive at the plate. But he is not ideal. We should have gone after Hudson in the offseason. He was willing to come here and not signing him was another failure by Bowden and the Lerners/Kasten. Hernandez has indeed made some boneheaded plays, but that is something that is happening due to an overall systemic problem. It is pretty clear he has good skills. The problem is, to be an elite team, you want a 2B that not only is part of a great tandem in the middle, but brings some offensive pop. Hernandez is certainly good to have in the system, but is not an ideal starter.

I dunno, a 2nd and 3rd is steep price for a team that won't be competing anyway.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #9: May 31, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »
The lack of infield prospects in our system is staggering.

There's Marrero, Espinosa, and maybe Ian Desmond.

Stephen King is a disappointment. Souza is a disaster defensively.

That's why we really needed a college bat with one of our first few picks but unfortunately there is almost no one that fits that bill that is worth taking with the 10th pick. I know Grant Green has fallen down many peoples' draft boards for various reasons but we'd almost be silly not to take him if he is there at 10.

If only the White Sox didn't take Gordon Beckham one pick ahead of us last year. He would have been a perfect fit. :?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #10: May 31, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »
That's why we really needed a college bat with one of our first few picks but unfortunately there is almost no one that fits that bill that is worth taking with the 10th pick. I know Grant Green has fallen down many peoples' draft boards for various reasons but we'd almost be silly not to take him if he is there at 10.

We could always get some middle infielders later in the draft. Maybe we'll get one w/ the first pick in the second round.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #11: May 31, 2009, 09:06:08 PM »
We could always get some middle infielders later in the draft. Maybe we'll get one w/ the first pick in the second round.
Hopefully. I hope it's a college one though because the HS infielders we have taken in recent drafts (King, Souza, etc.) have been underwhelming thus far.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #12: May 31, 2009, 09:16:18 PM »
I dunno, a 2nd and 3rd is steep price for a team that won't be competing anyway.

He would have only cost a second round pick. Small price to pay when you have two first round picks and can certainly trade away a Hudson for legitimate prospects at some point.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #13: May 31, 2009, 09:52:25 PM »
He would have only cost a second round pick. Small price to pay when you have two first round picks and can certainly trade away a Hudson for legitimate prospects at some point.

I thought he was Type A, and because we picked in the top 15, we give a 2nd and 3rd vs. a 1st.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #14: May 31, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »
I'd take Freddy Sanchez.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #15: May 31, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
If only the White Sox didn't take Gordon Beckham one pick ahead of us last year. He would have been a perfect fit. :?

If only the Orioles hadn't taken Matt Wieters one pick ahead of us in '06...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #16: May 31, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »
so true. this franchise is just cursed in every possible way. :hang:

Offline PC

« Reply #17: May 31, 2009, 10:13:05 PM »

'07 not '06

...and we don't have to sign a "long term" option.  We can sign a temporary one until we develop one or one becomes available.

I hope, though, that Daniel Cabrera has, forever, scared the team away from the bargain bin but...I doubt it.  :?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #18: May 31, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
'07 not '06

That's right...'06 was Willems and Marrero.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #19: May 31, 2009, 10:22:09 PM »
That's right...'06 was Willems and Marrero.

:spaz:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #20: May 31, 2009, 10:22:35 PM »
I would rather a middle infielder have a great glove and below average bat than an average both or vice versa. I think the dropoff to good and bad glove in the middle infield is bigger than any other position on the field. I just want a great glove there. With the fact we have plenty of good young bats, I'd have no problem hiding a couple below average bats in the 2nd, 7th, and 8th spots.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: May 31, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
I would rather a middle infielder have a great glove and below average bat than an average both or vice versa. I think the dropoff to good and bad glove in the middle infield is bigger than any other position on the field. I just want a great glove there. With the fact we have plenty of good young bats, I'd have no problem hiding a couple below average bats in the 2nd, 7th, and 8th spots.

2nd?, thats usually one of your better bats.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #22: May 31, 2009, 10:31:52 PM »
Yeah, but like I said, we have plenty of good bats to hide those guys.

We've had decent bats there before and looks at the good that did us. Maybe we should try something else?

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #23: May 31, 2009, 10:59:01 PM »
I thought he was Type A, and because we picked in the top 15, we give a 2nd and 3rd vs. a 1st.

No. Teams that lose a Type A FA get the compensation pick from the signing team (which would have been the 2nd rounder given that we were in the bottom 15 teams) and also get a sandwich pick. The sandwich pick is just an extra pick added between the 1st and 2nd rounds, not a pick that comes from the signing team. Also, signing a type B now costs the nothing, as the compensation is only the sandwich pick.

« Reply #24: May 31, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »
Hernandez is 26 and in his first full season as a starter. His glove has been a little shaky at times, but his hitting is a pleasant surprise.

The Nats have bigger problems than trying to replace him.