Author Topic: Vegetarian thoughts.  (Read 7800 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Vegetarian thoughts.
« Reply #25: February 28, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
havent gotten around to trying any 'substitutes' like soy stuff though.

Man, that stuff makes my stomach feel funny.

MrMadison

« Reply #26: February 28, 2009, 03:37:03 PM »
i'd rather just not eat meat at all than try a half-baked 'substitute'. but i'm from the 'dont knock it till you try it' school.                                                      anyhow, i don't think i could be a 'salad-only' guy. i am pleased to see there is more to vegetarianism than that.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #27: February 28, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
i'd rather just not eat meat at all than try a half-baked 'substitute'. but i'm from the 'dont knock it till you try it' school.                                                      anyhow, i don't think i could be a 'salad-only' guy. i am pleased to see there is more to vegetarianism than that.

Try the "fried chicken" at Sunflower in Vienna, VA. Never met an avid meat eater that didn't like that veggie substitute.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #28: February 28, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
I've had soy burgers that are decent. You just have to get the right kind.

MrMadison

« Reply #29: February 28, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
here is something i'd been meaning to ask.... why wouldn't a vegetarian eat eggs and milk products? is that more 'political' or is there an actual dietary reason for it?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: February 28, 2009, 04:56:32 PM »
I've seen plenty of overweight vegetarians.  Too much falafal maybe?

Offline blue911

« Reply #31: February 28, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
Pasta isn't going to help you lose weight. A balanced diet and exercise is still the best method. Carbs are a killer for weight lose.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #32: February 28, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
It could be that they are hard over on the ethical continuum (they don't like to exploit animals in any fashion) or that they believe that there are greater health benefits to eating no animal products.

There are lots of reasons to do the vegetarian thing.

here is something i'd been meaning to ask.... why wouldn't a vegetarian eat eggs and milk products? is that more 'political' or is there an actual dietary reason for it?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #33: February 28, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »
Bocaburgers are pretty damn good with cheese and bacon. :)
Try the "fried chicken" at Sunflower in Vienna, VA. Never met an avid meat eater that didn't like that veggie substitute.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #34: February 28, 2009, 07:00:08 PM »
Morningstar Farms Grillers (old, new, shreeded) are my favorites but Boca, Amy's and Gardenburger has some good ones. Love tempeh too. 

Aside from ethics and religion obstainers there are a few other reasons people believe not eat Eggs and Dairy.
* Avoiding hormones used to increase milk and egg production in factory farming.
* Some consider any animal items harder on the body to process and that they adversely effects one health and energy. [this was why I as a vegan but couldn't keep up with the cooking required]
* Some believe that dairy product consumption has increased the amount of Insulin-dependent diabetes (Type I)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #35: February 28, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »
People believe a lot of things, doesn't mean they're right.

As for hormones, you can buy milk that came from cows who weren't given hormones as long as you don't mind paying more for it.  That's the beauty of this country - you can live any way you want.  If there's a trendy new thing (such as the organic food craze), several new businesses will pop up to exploit it (see whole foods grocer chain) ;)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: February 28, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
Of course sometimes, like in about 10 minutes, there's nothing like a good steak with a baked potato and asparagus.  :lol:

MrMadison

« Reply #37: February 28, 2009, 08:04:15 PM »
eh, i was never really into  steak anyway. much more of a 'sliced deli meat' kinda guy lol

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #38: February 28, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

Sometimes eggs can be taken pre-maturely (meaning there was a live chick in the early stages of life) who would then be killed. With milk, many times companies scrape out the inside of the stomach of the cow too... it's called renite (SP?). It's also in things like jello, gummy bears, some types of gum, etc. stuff like that.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #39: February 28, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »
Rennet (just googled it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rennet

Read about it...

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #40: March 01, 2009, 08:46:40 AM »
the Navy Recruiter says I need to weigh 190, but I'd like to get down to 185, and stay there.

Apologies for sidetracking this thread but why not rejoin the army?

MrMadison

« Reply #41: March 01, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »
dcfan - i wanna do something different, try something new. plus the navy takes better care of families from what i have researched.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #42: March 01, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
that's an interesting thought.  you think that would necessitate simply eating more often?

anyhow, I'm not really at the point where I'm deciding "I'm definitely going to stop eating meat and chicken". I'm more or less, just fishing for information.

I asked about Pasta simply because it is my favorite thing to eat. I love Pasta dishes. I could do without cheeseburgers and steak(I don't eat a lot of steak anyway) and such, but I dunno if I could live without pastas.

my main concern is losing about 15 pounds and getting back into shape, just incase I can find a way back into the military.  I weight 200 pounds, the Navy Recruiter says I need to weigh 190, but I'd like to get down to 185, and stay there.

I started working out again (and man I'm SORE as HELL), and I am looking at ways to change my eating habits (I'm considering cutting meat out of my diet, but I've also considered intermittent fasting, simply eating once a day instead of 3 times, or just trying to change my diet to a more healthy but not vegetarian diet).

I never paid serious attention to what I eat before, so I'm not sure exactly how I want to go about this.

It's funny you mention this...  sounds like you're exactly where I was about 2 months ago.  A good place to start would be figuring out roughly how many calories you eat in a day.  I can't promise you similar results since everyone is different but I've lost almost 15 lbs in 2 months by simply exercising regularly and eating less.  I eat about 1800-2000 calories a day these days, and it feels like plenty.  I don't even want to guess how much I used to eat, but I know it was a lot more.  I'd like to claim I'm also eating healthier, but for the most part I don't think that'd be true :-[  Then again my typical diet wasn't excessively unhealthy to begin with, so that's definitely a factor.  Whoever said protein is more filling is correct. Lucky for me I like chicken :lol:

Just a thought if you're looking for some variety in your exercise routine... have you ever tried Yoga?

MrMadison

« Reply #43: March 01, 2009, 10:16:41 AM »
yoga? you mean like the dude from street fighter? yoga fire!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #44: March 01, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »
yoga? you mean like the dude from street fighter? yoga fire!

Yeah they teach you that one in the third class.  I'm working kicking people from 12 feet away next week.

But seriously.

MrMadison

« Reply #45: March 01, 2009, 10:36:37 AM »
no. never thought about it. sounds weird, all that body contortion.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #46: March 01, 2009, 10:39:21 AM »
dcfan - i wanna do something different, try something new. plus the navy takes better care of families from what i have researched.

In a galaxy far, far away, I was an army brat. Admittedly the family life thing that you mention was different then primarily because my dad was an officer. Rank has its privileges, as they say.

Militaries throughout history have operated under a caste system treating officers differently than the troops they led.  That and despite the cold war and the outbreak of Vietnam I'd say that the stress levels are different now with the troops cycling thru Iraq and Afghanistan multiple times in their career.

Back to the vegan thing, there are different levels or degrees of vegetarianism from the basic of just eliminating red meats to not eating anything from anything from an animal or fish.  If you want to get healthy then cutting back on the red meats is something all of us should do along with the exercise thing that the chief mentions. (and if you want the proof, look at me as I am the embodiment of healthy living said as I eagerly await my first half smoke, all the way.  :icon_mrgreen: )

MrMadison

« Reply #47: March 01, 2009, 01:21:27 PM »
sitting in shoppers right now looking at veggie substitute food.... this crap is EXPENSIVE!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #48: March 01, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
sitting in shoppers right now looking at veggie substitute food.... this crap is EXPENSIVE!

Oh yeah that's another thing; it will cost you to eat some of the tastier vegetarian food.

MrMadison

« Reply #49: March 01, 2009, 02:14:38 PM »
the selection at my shoppers was terrible though. literally one small shelf section in the entire store for vegetarian food. i was going to go on a week-long  trial  run of eating vegitarian, but i am gonna postpone that until i can really afford it, and have more information to work with.