Author Topic: Vegetarian thoughts.  (Read 7799 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Vegetarian thoughts.
« Reply #125: March 10, 2009, 04:06:25 PM »
I just got the vanilla soy milk for cereal.  Good stuff.

Damn, I sound like a hippie. :lol:

Look, people want natural and organic food only for their dogs and babies. I like to treat myself with a least a measure of the same respect. Local, organic produce, eggs, milk, and meat tastes better and is better for you. The eggs in particular taste noticeably because they feed them better stuff.

Offline doubler

« Reply #126: March 10, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »
I actually prefer the 8th Continent Vanilla soymilk...its almost the same price as the Natures Promise but I like the taste much better...

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #127: March 10, 2009, 04:10:30 PM »
Look, people want natural and organic food only for their dogs and babies. I like to treat myself with a least a measure of the same respect. Local, organic produce, eggs, milk, and meat tastes better and is better for you. The eggs in particular taste noticeably because they feed them better stuff.
Well, I was only speaking about the fact that I use soy milk, but I'm joking anyway.

I actually don't notice too much of a difference with taste in organic with what I've tried.  I haven't tried the eggs, though.

I think organic is more important for dogs and babies because any potential toxins have different effects.  Smaller bodies = smaller bloodstreams = more profound effect.  It's pretty negligible for us, although it does build up over time.  You're still never going to fully avoid carcinogens and stuff in your life.  The best thing to do is load up on antioxidants.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #128: March 10, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »

I think organic is more important for dogs and babies because any potential toxins have different effects.  Smaller bodies = smaller bloodstreams = more profound effect.  It's pretty negligible for us, although it does build up over time.  You're still never going to fully avoid carcinogens and stuff in your life.  The best thing to do is load up on antioxidants.

Yeah I understand the argument. But I started reading the ingredients of food - and I buy the brand/variety with the shortest, most recognizable list. Turkey Hill natural vanilla ice cream is something like: cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #129: March 10, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
That really is the best idea, ultimately.  The understanding of this stuff in the health and nutrition field is still primitive on a number of fronts, so anything simplistic and natural is the best way to go if you have the choice.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #130: March 11, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »
I just got the vanilla soy milk for cereal.  Good stuff.

Damn, I sound like a hippie. :lol:
Soy milk is fine with cereal because it's really just there to make the cereal acceptably mushy. I'm not sure I'd like drinking it alone, though. Then there's my Dad, who puts half-and-half on his cereal and has no cholesterol issues. There's no justice.

« Reply #131: March 11, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
Love Vanilla Soy Milk. If your looking into getting into Soy Milk, it is the perfect "weaning" soy. I, in fact, prefer soy over regular milk now.

Could not find those mushroom burgers in my grocery store, I will have to keep looking. But just for craps and giggles I did get some Morning Star BBQ Riblets. Not bad. There is a slight veggie flavor that tells my tastebuds this isn't meat, but overall good.

I was paying for the Morning Star stuff and this Harris Teeter cashier who was fat as the world came running up to me totally excited because she thought she found another vegetarian in Wilmington. I busted out my "I eat nothing that didn't have a soul" line and her face caved like Rihanna's under Chris Brown's fist.

Offline blue911

« Reply #132: March 11, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »
Love Vanilla Soy Milk. If your looking into getting into Soy Milk, it is the perfect "weaning" soy. I, in fact, prefer soy over regular milk now.

Could not find those mushroom burgers in my grocery store, I will have to keep looking. But just for craps and giggles I did get some Morning Star BBQ Riblets. Not bad. There is a slight veggie flavor that tells my tastebuds this isn't meat, but overall good.

I was paying for the Morning Star stuff and this Harris Teeter cashier who was fat as the world came running up to me totally excited because she thought she found another vegetarian in Wilmington. I busted out my "I eat nothing that didn't have a soul" line and her face caved like Rihanna's under Chris Brown's fist.

Nobody ever said vegetarian had to be healthy. I went to college with a guy that lived on Twinkies and Budweiser. Swore up & down he was eating healthy cause he wasn't eating meat.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #133: March 11, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »
Chocolate Silk isn't lowfat, but a little mug of it before bed is damn fine.

MrMadison

« Reply #134: March 23, 2009, 07:09:46 PM »
so I'm doing pretty well with the vegetarian thing.

well, outside of my wife constantly trying to make me eat grilled chicken because "it's good for you, it's not fried".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #135: March 23, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »
so I'm doing pretty well with the vegetarian thing.

well, outside of my wife constantly trying to make me eat grilled chicken because "it's good for you, it's not fried".

She's right, chicken is good for you.

MrMadison

« Reply #136: March 24, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »
She's right, chicken is good for you.

the "good for you" in chicken is a tad bit overrated from what I see.

I'll pass.

especially if my wife insists on trying to sneak it into my food without telling me, like I don't know what chicken looks like.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #137: March 24, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »
the "good for you" in chicken is a tad bit overrated from what I see.

I'll pass.

especially if my wife insists on trying to sneak it into my food without telling me, like I don't know what chicken looks like.

Been meaning to tell you - Costco sells restaurant sized Boca burgers in a 30 pack or so. The restaurant Boca burgers taste better and are much bigger than the supermarket size.

MrMadison

« Reply #138: April 05, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »
I am thoroughly pleased to discover that Nats Park is selling Veggie Dogs and Veggie Burgers this year.

Offline blue911

« Reply #139: April 05, 2009, 04:52:59 PM »
I am thoroughly pleased to discover that Nats Park is selling Veggie Dogs and Veggie Burgers this year.

Thanks, Chico.  :lol:

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #140: April 06, 2009, 10:22:52 AM »
Does that mean I will be able to get a veggie chili dog?

MrMadison

« Reply #141: April 06, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
i think so. Nats Journal said something about the veggie ballpark fare a few days ago.

MrMadison

« Reply #142: April 18, 2009, 09:59:34 PM »
so I'm pushing about 2 months as a vegetarian.

I'm still at it and feeling good. I'm holding steady at around 190 (down from 205 when I started this).

I've discovered new stuff during this time, great new food types that I normally wouldn't have tried otherwise, like Tofu and Soymilk.

I can't honestly say I miss meat too much, even though I am working at a place that cooks/serves meat like it is going out of style. the faux meats don't necessarily taste like the genuine article, but they satisfy my taste buds just the same (Portobello Mushroom Veggie Burgers are the BOMB, incidentally. both brands I've tried). so why bother killing the animals to get that taste, when you can get the same satisfaction from plant-based food, you know?

I don't really hate people that eat meat for it, but I'm more....apathetic to their meat desires than I was before. people make a big deal about how "I love meat too much, I couldn't be vegetarian" and I'm like "why? what's so special about meat?" I'm not really at the point where I feel compelled to tell people why they shouldn't eat meat, I'm at the point where I don't really understand what's so great about doing so (eating meat that is).

so that's my "vegetarian newbie" progress report.