Author Topic: Wood/Crews Debuts  (Read 1677 times)

Online IanRubbish

Re: Wood/Crews Debuts
« Reply #75: May 10, 2024, 06:41:56 PM »
https://defector.com/please-give-us-james-wood-now-before-joey-gallos-shoulder-un-kerplodes

Really good article and highlights the dysfunctional ownership and front office this team is constantly battling against. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #76: Yesterday at 08:09:10 PM »
Revised the poll in the Farm / Wood thread to reflect management's stated concern about K rate vs lefties and to extend the time out to mid June.  I reset the vote to zero, so vote again. The vote had been running 50%  for  "talk to me in late May" and 25% for "Now." Rest was split between the two manage his time to play the system options

Online CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #77: Yesterday at 08:56:56 PM »
Really good article and highlights the dysfunctional ownership and front office this team is constantly battling against.

That was a great article and aligns with my arguments I’ve been making on The Farm forum.  If they really are holding him back to try and pump up trade value for Winker and Rosario then I’m flabbergasted.  First, those guys cost nothing and aren’t even a real sunk cost if you had to DFA them today.  Second, even if they perform as well as realistically possible, they won’t bring any real trade value, just a lottery prospect.  Maybe that turns out to be another Lane Thomas, but highly unlikely.  Candelario was waaay more valuable last year because he brings defensive value and a solid bat, and we didn’t exactly get much for him.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #78: Today at 09:51:20 AM »
Great article.  Realistically, the team won't get crap for Rosario, Winker, or Gallo, even if they performed to an all-star level.  You might get a few fringe prospects like we got last year for Candelario, and that's the best case scenario.  I don't get why we're holding onto them and holding Woods back.  It's stupid.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #79: Today at 10:46:42 AM »
Great article.  Realistically, the team won't get crap for Rosario, Winker, or Gallo, even if they performed to an all-star level.  You might get a few fringe prospects like we got last year for Candelario, and that's the best case scenario.  I don't get why we're holding onto them and holding Woods back.  It's stupid.
Herz is not a fringe prospect. Getting that back for Rosario or Winker would be huge. That alone is worth keeping them in the lineup

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: Today at 11:05:23 AM »
While I'm sympathetic to the "still needs work against LHP" camp, it's pretty darn hard, tbh.

36 PAs / 32 ABs .219 / .306 / .531 (.837 OPS), 3 HR, 4 BB, 10 K.

That translates to a K% of 27.8%. It's getting out of the red flag range.

I still am in the camp of getting him 200 PAs in AAA. That's 43 more, corresponding to late May/ early June. Maybe that's 10-15 more against lefties. What will that show? Strike out rate stabilizes around 60 PAs, so tbh it still wouldn't make the strike out rate really predictive or explanatory for whether he has the Ks under control. So why bother? Are we really going to hold him back until late June to get to 300 PAs and 60 vs LHP in the hope of getting one meaningful statistical measure (K% vs LHP)? I think that's bonkers. My 200 PAs would give him roughly 1 season (568 PAs) of upper minors (AA/AAA) data and experience and 1200 minor league PAs. That'd be enough.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81: Today at 11:12:59 AM »
Herz is not a fringe prospect. Getting that back for Rosario or Winker would be huge. That alone is worth keeping them in the lineup
agreed. Made is probably better than a fringe prospect, too.

I don't think either Rosario or Winker will play their way to being Candelario at the deadline. No one should expect that kind of return. But, between the two, I think you could get a return.

That said, a Rosario / Robles in one OF slot, a Winker / Senzel  platoon at DH (until / unless Lip is sent down and Senzel is at 3rd), with Thomas eventually working into the mix, to go with Wood and Young as primary starters in CF and RF (again, leaving room to play Thomas more than a strict platoon), kind of works. If it squeezes Gallo or Meneses's time, so be it if they can't keep up with Rosario, Winker, Senzel, and Thomas.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: Today at 12:56:28 PM »
The more rolls of the dice you get the better your chances. Trade anyone you can.

Online CoryTheFormerExposFan

« Reply #83: Today at 02:21:13 PM »
We aren’t getting anywhere near even the Candelario package for Winker/Rosario.  Look at the free agent deal he got to see how he was valued as a solid glove at 3B in addition to a solid bat.  Rosario and Winker are likely to be looking for a minor league free agent deal again next Winter.

Those guys having any impact on the decision when to promote Wood is ridiculous.