Author Topic: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3  (Read 29492 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3
« Reply #75: June 18, 2009, 01:40:52 PM »
That sounds awfully closeminded. (Not you, just in general)

Exactly how many Americans have you met?  Admit it, you're actually a soviet spy! :P

I wonder if they talk about American Football over in Europe in the same terms.

Granted I don't pay that much attention to it but my impression of the Euro opinion of American Football has always been that it's a curious oddity.  Let's face it, Americans are weirdos - we're special - that's why we have our own landmass.

Just like the Aussies ;)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #76: June 18, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »
NFL Europe may have lost a lot of money, but it certainly was popular for a while.  And every time they have a pointy ball game in London, Wembley sells out 92,000 seats.
I think it's one thing for them to sell out one thing for them to sell out those special game (and I wonder how many of them are Americans in London) than it would be for them to support a team or several teams. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #77: June 18, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »
I don't give a crap whether you do or do not like soccer (in fact, I'm happier that you don't ), but MLS actually has a really good business model, and if you knew anything whatsover about the game, you would not call it "garbage"...but whatever.  As for hockey being 'Americanised,' that would explain all the U.S. players in the NHL these days, right?  LOL

Most people in US including myself would rather watch golf and tennis over soccer. :lol:

Hockey still has Canadian roots but the league is now more Americanized than ever.

The MLS is a garbage league and the hundreds of other random leagues they have around the world are just silly. The whole way they do everything is stupid. The only time I ever watch soccer is the World Cup which occurs every 4 years.

I'm surprised the MLS hasn't folded like the Women's league. :rofl:

NFL > MLB > NHL > NBA > PGA > ATP > MLS

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #78: June 18, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »
Just hope Dunn isn't as ugly as Zimmerman's was - wonder if he'll get a do-over

i thought the zimmerman one wasn't bad.  the chief one is okay.  i need to get my hands on the dmitri young one and the john lannan p-nats one (is that one good?). 

i've got a brad penny LA Dodgers one from the Nats-Dodgers game I went to last year, it's one of the best bobbleheads I've ever seen.  the details are all there. 

btw, starting line-up figures were the best.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #79: June 18, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »
I think it's one thing for them to sell out one thing for them to sell out those special game (and I wonder how many of them are Americans in London) than it would be for them to support a team or several teams. 

I would say that the sell out probably can be attributed more to, as others have said, Europeans being curious about the sport.  I have doubts about American Football being able to sustain itself outside the US, but I suppose games competed at international sites like Wembley does go a ways in helping determine interest, as well as planting the seeds for further endeavors on the continent.  Part of the way international soccer has been able to stir up interest in the states is by playing more club "friendlies" in the US (like the upcoming Chelsea matchup at the Ravens stadium).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #80: June 18, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »
Or Real Madrid vs (GASP) an MLS team at FedEx (already pretty much sold out...must be all those Spaniards).

I would say that the sell out probably can be attributed more to, as others have said, Europeans being curious about the sport.  I have doubts about American Football being able to sustain itself outside the US, but I suppose games competed at international sites like Wembley does go a ways in helping determine interest, as well as planting the seeds for further endeavors on the continent.  Part of the way international soccer has been able to stir up interest in the states is by playing more club "friendlies" in the US (like the upcoming Chelsea matchup at the Ravens stadium).

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #81: June 18, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »
Per NJ:
[UPDATE, 1:51 p.m.] -- The rain is still falling heavily. There's been no estimated start time, nor does one look imminent. Every so often, an announcer has come on the PA system and explained that every effort will be made to play today's game. But that's all we know.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #82: June 18, 2009, 02:14:11 PM »
I wish Fox Sports had a mug shot of Stammen. I like using those photos more.

Where does everyone get the mlb.com mug shots from? I have the link to Stammen's but can't find where Joba's would be. No need for the real mug shot of Joba... just looking for the baseball one.
Joba: http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_501955.jpg
Stammen: http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_489334.jpg

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #83: June 18, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
The main thing I have against soccer is that there is never much excitement. There are only a few shots a game, and that's just not enough. The field is so big, the players could be exhausted just running a lap, and if they change that, then there is a greater chance at scoring. Also, there are too many players, many of which do not have any effect on a play, like a defenseman when the team is in the offensive zone. They just sit there. Also, 4 defenseman + midfielders, all trying to push forward toward the net. Even in a big field, it's overcrowded.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #84: June 18, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
The main thing I have against soccer is that there is never much excitement. There are only a few shots a game, and that's just not enough. The field is so big, the players could be exhausted just running a lap, and if they change that, then there is a greater chance at scoring. Also, there are too many players, many of which do not have any effect on a play, like a defenseman when the team is in the offensive zone. They just sit there. Also, 4 defenseman + midfielders, all trying to push forward toward the net. Even in a big field, it's overcrowded.

Have ya watched American football?
Same numbers, we just take more breaks and swap people around more

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #85: June 18, 2009, 02:31:59 PM »
Word is the game won't be called until as late as 7pm

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #86: June 18, 2009, 02:49:16 PM »
Word is the game won't be called until as late as 7pm

YES is saying there looks like an opening at 3 to get the game in but I don't know how legit that is.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #87: June 18, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »
I've always been amused by how many American sports fans are threatened by soccer. It has been the most popular and most played youth sport for the past 25 years. With the influx of immigrants coming into the country, plus the MLS, and growing interest in the National teams, soccer is really setting itself up for a big boom in the States. They aren't there yet, but it will be coming and will finally join the rest of the world.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I do follow DC United and the US National Team, although not nearly as avidly as I follow the Capitals and UVA football. I remember going to see the Washington Diplomats at RFK fairly frequently back in the days of the NASL. We always looked forward to Dips–Cosmos games.

I tend to agree with your comments about people acting threatened by soccer. However, I also think that there's an element in the community of hard-core American soccer fans who are hurting their own cause. Some people call these folks the "soccer snobs," but I think they're not the sole problem. The "soccer snobs" are the ones who look down their noses at people who don't like soccer and who say things like, "Oh, you just haven't learned to appreciate it yet," or "Americans simply haven't learned to understand why soccer is better," or crap like that. Telling people that they're somehow ignorant or uneducated just because they don't watch or like a given sport is not a smart way to try to convince them to like it because it comes across as an attack. I also think that saying "soccer is better" is counterproductive. Too many of the hardest-core soccer fans come across—whether they intend to or not—as saying that people should follow soccer instead of other sports, rather than in addition to other sports. (OldChelsea would be the person who best represents the approach I think is the right one—he follows everything!) It's LUDICROUS for anyone to expect that soccer would ever replace the NFL or baseball in popularity in the United States and it's a waste of time for people to act as though it could—or, for that matter, should. When you argue that soccer is somehow "better," or when you imply that it should replace a sport that people know and love, you immediately put them on the defensive.

I think people who say that Americans should follow it just because it's the most popular sport on earth are missing the point. Since when have Americans cared about that? We don't let the rest of the world tell us how we should run our country, or for whom we should vote, or how we should post road signs (although I'd argue that the rest of the world is onto something sensible with metric measurement), so what makes anyone think we'll let them tell us how to watch sports and what we should watch?

I've met too many soccer fans who seem to turn up their noses at new fans. I think there are plenty of people who are willing to learn about the game but that it turns them off if a soccer fan immediately "corrects" them as to some of the jargon. I know one guy who gets angry when anyone refers to a "game"—he insists that you must call it a "match," apparently because he THINKS that is the European term, never mind that most English-language European media sources use "game" and "match" interchangeably. (Moreover, who CARES which you use, when it's AMPLY clear what the term means? I mean, soccer, as with all sports, is indeed ultimately a game.) Certainly some of the jargon is useful and has its place, but it doesn't help if someone jumps down a new fan's throat and demands that he say "pitch" instead of "field" (and when it comes to insisting that the sport should be called "football," don't get me started—that's one argument that the hardcore soccer fans will never win in the United States or Canada). Americans call the playing surface for most outdoor sports a "field" and that's not a problem at all. Why be confrontational towards people who are casual soccer-watchers or who just haven't watched many games?

Why is it a problem if the new fan doesn't use the jargon? Isn't it better to allow him to learn the game by watching and asking questions instead of trying to shove it down his throat?

But yes, ultimately I do find it amusing the way some Americans, especially people down in SEC territory (the college sports SEC, that is), act as though soccer (and hockey, for that matter) is some kind of a threat. I will never understand why it bothers them if someone else watches it. To me, it's kind of like TV—if you don't like a show, don't watch the damn thing! If you don't like soccer, don't watch it, and vice versa if you don't like football, who cares? I think each sport has enough fans to survive without worrying about the other sport's fans as long as MLS doesn't make the mistakes that the NASL did in trying to grow too far too fast and in attempting to elevate itself to the level of the NFL. The NASL was doomed as soon as the Cosmos signed Pele. I read something once that pointed out how for a few years the Cosmos even stopped calling themselves the "New York Cosmos"—they were just "Cosmos" for a while. When a team is too big for New York, then your league has a serious problem! The NASL, in retrospect, reminds me of how the USFL fell apart when the owners abandoned their spring football plan and tried to compete with the NFL. To its credit, MLS hasn't tried to follow that path—they've marketed the league first and foremost to the soccer community and haven't tried to make the assumption that the rest of the country will fall in line.

Certainly, the 1994 World Cup was HUGE. The rest of the world acted surprised, but I've never understood why. After all, if there's one thing Americans LOVE and do really well, it's Big Events. Think about how many people watch the Super Bowl even when they don't like either team (or actively hate both of them).

Edited to add: One thing I really like about soccer, that I wish our other sports would follow, is that TV caters to the sport, rather than the sport catering to TV. When you watch a soccer game, you know it will end within the allotted two-hour timeslot unless it's in a tournament where there MUST be a winner (e.g., the knockout rounds of the World Cup). You don't have these constant annoying TV timeouts that, if you're attending the game, create interminable pauses and suck the momentum out of the crowd when the game is going well. I'll never understand why we never developed the animated in-game advertising you see on the Spanish soccer broadcasts on Univision and some other channels.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #88: June 18, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »
Eh, the super bowl's about the commercials anymore, anyway.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #89: June 18, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
Radar is looking much better.
I bet the Yankees are more excited than us to get this game in.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #90: June 18, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
did anyone point out to SF that the women's league is restarting this year? or is it not worth it? FWIW, I have no interest in soccer. Glad because I don't have time to watch any more sports.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #91: June 18, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »
1995 your commentary about "soccer snobs" sounds exactly like Linux snobs :lol:

Sorry, I know I'm the only one who knows what the hell I'm talking about here, I just find it amusing.

Offline DC_Bucs

« Reply #92: June 18, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »
Any word yet on when or if this one will start??

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #93: June 18, 2009, 03:05:37 PM »
It looks like the stadium is on the back edge of the storm right now.  So it shouldn't be too much longer before it passes.  There are a couple of spots though that could still hit the stadium so we'll see.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #94: June 18, 2009, 03:07:32 PM »

Sorry, I know I'm the only one who knows what the hell I'm talking about here, I just find it amusing.

Snobby to assume that :lol:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #95: June 18, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
I have definitely encountered some "soccer snobs" in my time, and while it is fun to talk soccer (oops I meant futbol) with them, they are annoying as hell.  But then again, I've met snobs in about every sport.  Frankly, it doesn't matter to me who watches it, as long as there are people out there that I can watch it with and there are exciting matches to watch.  Some people may call it boring watching a ball being dribbled back and forth for 90 minutes with only a few goals, and to those people I sure it is, just like how watching a little green ball (tennis) get bounced back and forth for hours seems equally pointless to me.  Different people enjoy different aspects of sports (in general), to some, it may be a team putting up 8 runs in the 9th inning or scoring 24 points in a quarter, to others, it may be the beauty of a well pitched game or the eloquence of a perfectly placed cross.  I guess, in summary, I just think it is absolutely ridiculous for any one person to try to dictate that they should or should not like a certain sport.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #96: June 18, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »
Egypt is playing great right now. Pretty much dominating Italy.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #97: June 18, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
Radar is looking much better.
I bet the Yankees are more excited than us to get this game in.
Excellent. Maybe I'll actually get to watch part of this game.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #98: June 18, 2009, 03:20:02 PM »
It has been the most popular and most played youth sport for the past 25 years. With the influx of immigrants coming into the country, plus the MLS, and growing interest in the National teams, soccer is really setting itself up for a big boom in the States.

They were saying the same thing about soccer 30 years ago. It's just not ever going to happen here in the States. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #99: June 18, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »

sounds like a lot of hockey fans to me