Author Topic: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3  (Read 27414 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Nationals @ Yankees, Game 3
« Reply #25: June 18, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
The US soccer team is way more frustrating to watch than the Nats.

I disagree.  Besides the loss to Costa Rica (where they have one like once in the last 5-6 years) and then the predictable Confed Cup loss to the defending World Cup champs, the US team has been playing at least average or better for the last year.  They have a great core of young players to watch on offense (Donovan, Adu, Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey), but are lacking defense in the center.  The US is ranked 14th in the world, while the Nats are ranked 30th in the league.  Nats are more frustrating, IMO.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #26: June 18, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »
Ok, here's the 64 dollar question. You just beat the Yankees with good pitching and defense. Any reason to change the lineup that accomplished that (other than the standard need to swap catchers)?

I can't believe we are stuck actually starting Harris in LF and playing Corey Patterson in CF due to injuries, Willingham's bereavement, mostly Kearns's amazing sucktitude. But Manny hasn't been able to commit to a stable lineup all season. And there is no reason for Dunn not to DH during interleague play (except for one game where you let Zimmerman do it.). But they just won with a crisp performance. If I see Manny come out with a lineup card that has some combination of Dunn in the field, Belliard at 2B, and Kearns in RF, it will be clear to me that Manny has lost his mind.

I dunno, I didn't mind the lineup with Guzman as DH. You put Dunn in LF, Willie in CF, and Dukes in RF... Gonzo at short and 360 at 2nd.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #27: June 18, 2009, 11:36:54 AM »
I disagree.  Besides the loss to Costa Rica (where they have one like once in the last 5-6 years) and then the predictable loss to the defending World Cup champs, the US team has been playing at least average or better for the last year.  They have a great core of young players to watch on offense (Donovan, Adu, Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey), but are lacking defense in the center.  The US is ranked 14th in the world, while the Nats are ranked 30th in the league.  Nats are more frustrating, IMO.

It's not about where they rank. It's how bad they look in games like this. I guess I just think bad soccer is way more frustrating to watch than bad baseball.

And I'm not even a US fan. :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: June 18, 2009, 11:38:53 AM »
chico says the game probably won't start til 3

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #29: June 18, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
It's not about where they rank. It's how bad they look in games like this. I guess I just think bad soccer is way more frustrating to watch than bad baseball.

Are you a fan of every team, like in football?

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #30: June 18, 2009, 11:41:18 AM »
The Bronx is under water right now. It's pouring outside. The tarp is on the field. We've still got about three hours until the scheduled first pitch for this afternoon's series finale at Yankee Stadium, but a steady rain is forecasted for the entire day. (Might make for dreary conditions at Bethpage, too.)

Anyway, I'll post again soon with updates, but nobody seems to think this game is gonna happen today.

Seems like this game probably won't happen.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #31: June 18, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »
Are you a fan of every team, like in football?

I root for Croatia. The rest of the time I root for a good game (same with all other sports).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #32: June 18, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »
Seems like this game probably won't happen.

there's an update on there.  says they possibly see a window open @ 3.  we'll see though.

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #33: June 18, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
there's an update on there.  says they possibly see a window open @ 3.  we'll see though.
I doubt it. Which is good after looking at the lineup posted.

SS Cristian Guzman
1B Nick Johnson
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Adam Dunn
RF Austin Kearns
CF Corey Patterson
LF Willie Harris
2B Ronnie Belliard
C Wil Nieves

http://masnsports.com/2009/06/nats-lineup-14.html

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #34: June 18, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »
I dunno, I didn't mind the lineup with Guzman as DH. You put Dunn in LF, Willie in CF, and Dukes in RF... Gonzo at short and 360 at 2nd.
Can we make sure whoever's in the OF at least tries to make a play on balls that scrape the top of the wall?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #35: June 18, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
All these rain-outs may very well end up saving the team from 120 losses

« Reply #36: June 18, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
Lacrosse

Truly the sport for those who can't ice skate.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #37: June 18, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
If I see Manny come out with a lineup card that has some combination of Dunn in the field, Belliard at 2B, and Kearns in RF, it will be clear to me that Manny has lost his mind.

SS Cristian Guzman
1B Nick Johnson
3B Ryan Zimmerman
DH Adam Dunn
RF Austin Kearns
CF Corey Patterson
LF Willie Harris
2B Ronnie Belliard
C Wil Nieves

:rofl: almost

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #38: June 18, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
I'd rather have Belliard in the line-up than Kearns.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #39: June 18, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »

Yeah rank doesn't mean much at this point, but you can't get a good ranking unless you have played well.  They have looked fine in the games not against Costa Rica or Italy.  It shouldn't be too surprising, as a few players have just returned from extended injuries and these are the first games they are playing in.  They are also missing some key guys.  Their main problem is defense in the center, which would have prevented De Rossi and Rossi goals in the Confed game.  Onweyu is athletic, tall, but not that smart of a player.  The loss of Eddie Pope greatly hurt the team.

If you don't like "frustrating" soccer, then I wouldn't suggest watching the US-Brazil game.  Great teams like Brazil and Italy frustrate opposing fans every fixture.

/end soccer rant

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #40: June 18, 2009, 11:51:14 AM »
I'd rather have Belliard in the line-up than Kearns.

Nope. Kearns is a better hitter and 1000% better at fielding.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #41: June 18, 2009, 11:57:13 AM »
Anyone know when Willingham is coming back?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #42: June 18, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »
If you don't like "frustrating" soccer, then I wouldn't suggest watching the US-Brazil game.  Great teams like Brazil and Italy frustrate opposing fans every fixture.

It's the amount of unforced errors they make that frustrates me. Not the fact that they're less talented. They did play better near the end of the game, though.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #43: June 18, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
Max time for berevement leave is 7 days (or maybe it's games, I'm not sure which).  So it should be in the next day or two.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #44: June 18, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »
Nope. Kearns is a better hitter and 1000% better at fielding.

kearns a better hitter?  agree to disagree.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #45: June 18, 2009, 12:05:35 PM »
kearns a better hitter?  agree to disagree.
Is there really that much difference between Kearns and Belliard at the plate?  Really?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #46: June 18, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »
Is there really that much difference between Kearns and Belliard at the plate?  Really?

Belliard's a :pimp: and Kearns is a

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #47: June 18, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
It's the amount of unforced errors they make that frustrates me. Not the fact that they're less talented. They did play better near the end of the game, though.

Yeah, they do that a lot.  It actually has less to do with talent than it does with experience.  US players only started to join the European teams in the last 8 years, so many of the guys on our team don't have anywhere near the international experience of a team like Italy or Brazil.  The top Euro teams are as good (and maybe better) than the top international teams, and many of the best players play each other in the Champions league each year (as well as the UEFA cup).  The American players have most of their experience in MLS and the Mexican vs American league matches.  This is a major reason Beckham pushed to get loaned to Milan, because the experience of playing in the MLS actually makes it much harder to play at the international level.  Next time you watch a game, check to see where the players that mess up play during the club season and I bet you will find that many of those guys are playing in the MLS or on a low tier Euro league.

I agree the unforced errors are horrible, but at this point it is just a timing and getting more playing time issue.  As players return and get in sync with their teammates, the US squad will improve greatly.  Good to hear there is someone else on here that watches futbol, although I am quite aware that many here do not enjoy it, which is fine.  It is a baseball message board afterall.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #48: June 18, 2009, 12:17:04 PM »

20th I believe

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #49: June 18, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »
Lacrosse and Ice Hockey are far better IMO. Too slow, too much trying to set up the prefect shot.
yep. soccer is a euro sport. get that out of here