Author Topic: Hardware/OS Geek Thread  (Read 55837 times)

Offline saltydad

Re: Hardware/OS Geek Thread
« Reply #925: January 11, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
I want to put my Panny HD TV, my Blu Ray and my Dish Network receiver online via my FIOS internet. The wireless modem is downstairs with my computer; the above items are upstairs. So far, my online research says that a power adapter connection would work that I just plug into the power outlet behind my av cabinet and then attach with wire connection to the LAN inputs on the av gear. I saw one with 4 LAN outlets which would accommodate all my gear. What do you guys think? Thanks.

So I guess no one has any ideas on this?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #926: January 11, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »
I have no experience with them.  I'd be interested in how well they work, since my PC gets poor wifi signal being on the opposite corner and upper floor of the house.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #927: January 12, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »

:confused:   :shrug:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #928: January 12, 2011, 10:51:54 PM »
The last time one of our machines got really virused up, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials (after trying lots of other things). I was surprised. It took several passes through, but it cleaned it up when nothing else would. It was an XP machine.
A coworker of my dad has a laptop that will only boot into safe mode.  He thinks it has a virus.  I'm supposed to look at it at some point.

The problem is, he says it's old, so I'm assuming it's running Windows XP.  What are some programs I can use to clean it?  I's throw MSE on there, but if it's XP I can't.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #929: January 12, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »

Sounds awesome, but none of my gear is internet enabled. The thing I would worry about with the LAN via power jack is noise on the line.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #930: April 12, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
My friend (Nathan, its pat) is trying to buy a "gaming laptop". He doesn't know much about laptops so I am asking here to get some opinions. I know a little but I just figured you guys could help as well.

He is looking to get one really soon (like asap) and linked me these laptops:

laptop 1
laptop 2

Anyone have any other ideas for a laptop in that price range that would be considered gaming?

thanks.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #931: April 12, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »
The term "Gaming" when added to a laptop normally means "More expensive and more chintzy."  For instance, Alienware stuff is more expensive than similar specs on a normal looking laptop.

To be honest, gaming laptops are BS anyway, really.  You're not going to get as good of performance as you could in a desktop, and the battery life will be so miserable that it'll be plugged in most of the time anyway.  Switchable GPU can help, but it's still not going to be great.

What kind of games is he looking at, other than WoW?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #932: April 12, 2011, 06:08:41 PM »
The only thing different about a gaming laptop is a better GPU.  And laptops with truly gaming-worthy GPUs are few and expensive.  What is your friend planning on doing with this?  If at all possible, a desktop would be a better investment.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #933: April 12, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »
The only thing different about a gaming laptop is a better GPU.  And laptops with truly gaming-worthy GPUs are few and expensive.  What is your friend planning on doing with this?  If at all possible, a desktop would be a better investment.
Chief has me on ignore :P

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #934: April 12, 2011, 06:09:42 PM »
Chief has me on ignore :P

I guess you are Colleen

Offline The Chief

« Reply #935: April 12, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
Why does this thread keep showing up as having new posts? :shrug:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #936: April 12, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
Why does this thread keep showing up as having new posts? :shrug:
:razz:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #937: April 12, 2011, 06:33:33 PM »
The term "Gaming" when added to a laptop normally means "More expensive and more chintzy."  For instance, Alienware stuff is more expensive than similar specs on a normal looking laptop.

To be honest, gaming laptops are BS anyway, really.  You're not going to get as good of performance as you could in a desktop, and the battery life will be so miserable that it'll be plugged in most of the time anyway.  Switchable GPU can help, but it's still not going to be great.

What kind of games is he looking at, other than WoW?

That's what I was trying to tell him but I think hes sticking with laptop because you can take it places and such.

I think the only thing he really wants it for is wow but he has SC2 and is looking into one of the new mmo's this year. I guess something that can just run the game. His laptop is crap and really messes with his frames, even on low.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #938: April 12, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
The Inspiron would probably be OK.  I ran WoW fine on my MBP from 2009 with a 9400m (integrated card).  No way would I pay MORE for CRAPPIER specs with the M11x, even though it is a pretty cool machine.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #939: April 12, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
Uh, is Alienware now part of Dell?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #940: April 12, 2011, 06:44:51 PM »
Yeah, it has been for a while, 2006 or somewhere around there.  They still charge more for the name than a plain jane dell.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #941: April 12, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
He looked at one more:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxdwmn2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-8300

Intel® Core™ i5-2300 Processor (6M Cache, 2.80 GHz)
4gb of ram (I'm suggesting him get 6)*
ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5

* when I look at the memory section, it says 8gb of ram... 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs

I'm dumb when it comes to that stuff.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #942: April 12, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
That's a desktop.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #943: April 12, 2011, 07:08:53 PM »
That's a desktop.

Thanks for making me feel dumb. I have no idea how to work that site. I didn't even see the desktop image.

So yea, those specs look pretty good. I thought it was really good for a laptop at that price :P

Offline Nathan

« Reply #944: April 12, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »
Thanks for making me feel dumb. I have no idea how to work that site. I didn't even see the desktop image.

So yea, those specs look pretty good. I thought it was really good for a laptop at that price :P
Well, in any case, that 5670 is utterly and COMPLETELY decimated by the 5850 in our rigs :mg:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #945: April 12, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
Well, in any case, that 5670 is utterly and COMPLETELY decimated by the 5850 in our rigs :mg:

yeah. easily. I love this card. :P

Offline Nathan

« Reply #946: April 12, 2011, 07:15:11 PM »
It really is much better than the 5670, though.  http://www.hwcompare.com/106/radeon-hd-5670-vs-radeon-hd-5850/

Also, the reason you see some PCs that will go 6GB and some will go 8GB is depending on the chipset and whether it is dual channel or triple channel.  Dual channel benefits by having sets of two where triple benefits with sets of 3.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #947: April 13, 2011, 10:39:16 AM »
I need a new laptop and want something that would be a "gaming" laptop. I know a desktop is the way to go, but that's not reasonable considering I am moving around so much and the primary reason I have games on my laptop is so that I can play when I'm on the road or want to chill and watch TV.

I'm not looking to run high-powered games, just games like SC2, Age of Empires, the Sims at reasonable/good settings if possible. Any suggestions? I looked through the links CMD posted and looked good, but am open to more.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #948: June 10, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »
This tablet from asus looks sweet.  9 hour battery life and 16 hours battery life when docked.

You could basically use it like a laptop to shoot out some quick emails or do some word processing, or like a tablet for web surfing and watching videos.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #949: June 11, 2011, 12:04:12 PM »
Yup, the Eee transformer.  Newegg has had them on sale for a hot minute already.  I'm not sure about Android as a "laptop" OS, though.