Author Topic: A Letter to the Washington Nationals regarding your public negotiations.  (Read 4360 times)

AndrewS102

Listen Nationals, if you wasted your first round pick on purpose you are in fact a terrible organization down to the core. I assume you didn't, so pay up or stop preaching your plan.  You knew what the guy wanted going into this so don't act surprised.  If you want to stick to slot you should have taken someone like Anthony Hewitt or Aaron Hicks. Put up or shut up.

I'm not saying give him $10 million either...just don't make a stink about $4 or $5 million with a major league deal and expect fans to feel sympathy for you.  Hint: We won't.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Listen Nationals, if you wasted your first round pick on purpose you are in fact a terrible organization down to the core. I assume you didn't, so pay up or stop preaching your plan.  You knew what the guy wanted going into this so don't act surprised.  If you want to stick to slot you should have taken someone like Anthony Hewitt or Aaron Hicks. Put up or shut up.

I'm not saying give him $10 million either...just don't make a stink about $4 or $5 million with a major league deal and expect fans to feel sympathy for you.  Hint: We won't.

Speak for yourself Mrs Crow.

AndrewS102

Speak for yourself Mrs Crow.
You would feel bad for the Lerners' if they had to invest $5 million (probably most of it is revenue generated from your attendence) in someone who in a year could be the ace of the team they bought?  Don't expect a big return if you won't invest.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
You would feel bad for the Lerners' if they had to invest $5 million (probably most of it is revenue generated from your attendence) in someone who in a year could be the ace of the team they bought?  Don't expect a big return if you won't invest.
With less than a year of Minor league experience you're saying that the #8 pick in the draft can be an ace? Get real.

Offline spidernat

I'm not feeling bad for the Lerners at all. He could also wind up injured or a complete bust. It happens. No disrespect Mrs Crow (or Mrs Hendricks) but freak Aaron Crow. In my book players have to earn respect by producing. This kid hasn't done a freaking thing to earn any respect from me.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
I'm not feeling bad for the Lerners at all. He could also wind up injured or a complete bust. It happens. No disrespect Mrs Crow (or Mrs Hendricks) but freak Aaron Crow. In my book players have to earn respect by producing. This kid hasn't done a freaking thing to earn any respect from me.

AndrewS102

With less than a year of Minor league experience you're saying that the #8 pick in the draft can be an ace? Get real.
I am saying with zero minor league experience the #9 pick in the draft can be an ace.  When Tim Lincecum was drafted #10 overall were people saying "this guy is going to be a career minor leaguer or at best a #3 starter on a bad team"  ?  No, he was drafted that high because he has ace talent.  Think the Giants are regretting that move?  The draft is a lot less of a crapshoot in the Top 10 than it is anywhere else.

AndrewS102

I'm not feeling bad for the Lerners at all. He could also wind up injured or a complete bust. It happens. No disrespect Mrs Crow (or Mrs Hendricks) but **** Aaron Crow. In my book players have to earn respect by producing. This kid hasn't done a ****ing thing to earn any respect from me.
These are the risks you take when you decide you want to buy/own a Major league franchise.

If the Nationals' wanted to tweak something about Crow's delivery they are free to do so as soon as he is under contract.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
I love how people act as if Crow will be the first ever first round pick to not sign. I don't think the Lerners or Crow are to blame for the situation. The NFL is just now trying to do something to curb insane bonuses, and MLB should have done it long ago. Players don't even have to declare for the MLB draft. Since that is the case it should be treated like the NBA draft when a European player is drafted and the team that drafts him retains his rights forever. The NBA has the best drafting system with rookie contracts and the rules on team control of a player. And in two or three years the player is a free agent and if they are good they get their money. Players should earn money based on what they have done not on what they might do.

Offline spidernat

Players should earn money based on what they have done not on what they might do.

Someone here (I forgot who) was arguing the opposite of this concept.

Offline ronnynat

You knew what the guy wanted going into this so don't act surprised.  If you want to stick to slot you should have taken someone like Anthony Hewitt or Aaron Hicks. Put up or shut up.

The only person that said the Nats already knew how much Crow was going to ask for was Randy Hendricks. That's kind of hard to believe, IMO.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Someone here (I forgot who) was arguing the opposite of this concept.

'twas me.  I believe you pay for what you believe someone can do for you.  Why on earth would you give someone crazy money because of something he did for another team?  The Nats overpaid for duds like LoDuca and Estrada by the numbers they put up for other teams rather than look at Estrada weighing 350 pounds and Walnuts coming off the juice.

That was 10 million dollars well spent....   :roll:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
So to all of the Crow/Hendricks apologists...  I guess you guys buy your cars without test driving them right?  Or do you just do a quick loop around the parking lot and then pay the dealer double the sticker price?

Sorry, make that four to five times the sticker price.

Offline blue911

The only person that said the Nats already knew how much Crow was going to ask for was Randy Hendricks. That's kind of hard to believe, IMO.

The Randy Hendricks that said Clemens never did PED's? That Randy Hendricks? Yeah and I'll respect you in the morning.

Offline HalfSmokes

'twas me.  I believe you pay for what you believe someone can do for you.  Why on earth would you give someone crazy money because of something he did for another team?  The Nats overpaid for duds like LoDuca and Estrada by the numbers they put up for other teams rather than look at Estrada weighing 350 pounds and Walnuts coming off the juice.

That was 10 million dollars well spent....   :roll:

What he said- If LoDuca was worth 5 million, perhaps a future no. 2 pitcher under contract for essentially nothing per year is worth 10 million

AndrewS102

An agent wouldn't make a statement like that which can be rebutted so easily by a team if it wasn't true.  Plus, this happens a lot.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win

That was 10 million dollars well spent....   :roll:

There is also a huge difference between prospects and free agents. Of course you also have to come up with a players salary based on something and nothing can predict the future. Stats are limited in their abilities by the fact that they can only say what has happenned and not what will happen. People can look at trends and try and deduce what will happen, but most of the time it will fail. Of course Lo Duca and Estrada sucked last year so it was easy to say they would suck this year. The signings only made sense on the level that it would give Flores one more year of development.

Offline hammondsnats

Just get a better team.  That's all I care about.

Offline d_mc_nabb

I believe the Nationals drafted Crow even after hearing his demands because they didn't think he would refuse to accept a smaller amount. They thought he definitely wouldn't want to go back to college, or anywhere else besides ML affiliates, and therefore would in fact change his requests.

Offline cletusvandamme

They took him because he was the BPA, as they should have.

Offline d_mc_nabb

Well yeah, that too.

Offline spidernat

That was 10 million dollars well spent....   :roll:

You're using two examples (possibly rare examples) to support your case. The reality is that contracts are always based on what you have done in the past (see arbitration contracts). Can you imagine a team telling A-Rod or Peavy that they will not even consider what they have done in previous seasons and will only pay them what they believe they are worth to them in the future?   :rofl:

What he said- If LoDuca was worth 5 million, perhaps a future no. 2 pitcher under contract for essentially nothing per year is worth 10 million

That's sound logic.  :roll:

An agent wouldn't make a statement like that which can be rebutted so easily by a team if it wasn't true.  Plus, this happens a lot.

Of course not. Agents are fine people. They are beyond doing or saying anything that could be even slightly untrue.   :?

Offline d_mc_nabb

You're using two examples (possibly rare examples) to support your case. The reality is that contracts are always based on what you have done in the past (see arbitration contracts). Can you imagine a team telling A-Rod or Peavy that they will not even consider what they have done in previous seasons and will only pay them what they believe they are worth to them in the future?   :rofl:

Basically, it's based on both, which makes it all the more difficult for signing picks.It's both, because a team will only figure out what the player is worth to them/how much they will help the team by their past accomplishments.