Author Topic: "Houston, we have a problem!"  (Read 3362 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

"Houston, we have a problem!"
« Topic Start: June 25, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »
Someone to keep Jim Bowden in line with The Plan?

Astros Suspend Pitcher Shawn Chacon Indefinitely

Jun 25, 2008, 10:31 PM (ET)

By KRISTIE RIEKEN

HOUSTON (AP) -Astros pitcher Shawn Chacon was suspended indefinitely by the team Wednesday for insubordination after reportedly grabbing general manager Ed Wade by the neck and throwing him to the ground.   :lol:  :rofl:  Chacon, upset after getting demoted to the bullpen over the weekend, told the Houston Chronicle this problem began when Wade saw him in the dining room before the game against Texas. Wade wanted to meet with Chacon in manager Cecil Cooper's office, the pitcher said.  "I sat down to eat and Ed Wade came to me and very sternly said, 'You need to come with me to the office,"' Chacon said. "I said 'for what?' I said 'I don't want to go to the office with you and Cooper.' And I said, 'You can tell me whatever you got to tell me right here.' He's like, 'Oh, you want me to tell you right here?' And I said, 'yeah.' I'm not yelling. I'm calm."

Chacon said things went downhill from there.  "He started yelling and cussing," Chacon said of Wade, according to a story on the Chronicle's Web site. "I'm sitting there and I said to him very calmly, 'Ed, you need to stop yelling at me. Then I stood up and said, 'You better stop yelling at me.' I stood up. He continued and was basically yelling."  Chacon said that after Wade told him he needed to "look in the mirror," it got worse.   "So at that point I lost my cool and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him," he said. "Words were exchanged."  Chacon said players quickly came and separated the two. He recalled outfielder Reggie Abercrombie pulling him away from Wade.

Wade announced the move, but would not provide any other details. Chacon has been upset since being bumped from the rotation and moved into the bullpen on Sunday.  Chacon is 2-3 with a 5.04 ERA in 15 starts for Houston this year. The right-hander set a major league record with nine straight no-decisions to start the season.

"He is suspended pending final resolution of whatever move we end up making with him," Wade said.  When asked if Chacon was disciplined because he physically accosted Wade, the GM said: "I'm not getting into any details of anything beyond what I just said. It is an internal matter."  Wade did confirm that Chacon's agent called and requested a trade earlier this week but said "that has nothing to do with the events of today."

Chacon is now concerned that he might not pitch in the majors again.  "Maybe it shouldn't have happened," Chacon said. "But when you do those things and you're yelling at somebody and you're cussing you better know what type of person you're dealing with. If there's any regret, I just wish they had just let me alone. I wish they had left me alone," he told the Chronicle.

Chacon signed a $2 million, one-year contract with Houston in February after spending 2007 with Pittsburgh. He split time as a starter and a reliever there and was 5-4 with a 3.94 ERA and one save in 64 appearances with the Pirates.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: "Houston, we have a problem!"
« Reply #1: June 26, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
Can anyone say..."Sprewell?"

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: June 26, 2008, 10:01:02 AM »
Ranting and raging, cursing and shouting served Wade well.  Hope he's pleased with the outcome.

Offline blue911

« Reply #3: June 26, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »
I'm confused as to why Wade felt it necessary to confront Chacon? Chain of command would suggest he's tells Cooper he wanted to have a meeting with Chacon and Cooper. That's it. Going directly to the player undermines Cooper's authority. I think it's bad form.

« Reply #4: June 26, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
JimBo just popped a boner. I could hear the explosion all the way down here in Wilmington.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: June 26, 2008, 10:50:57 AM »
JimBo just popped a boner. I could hear the explosion all the way down here in Wilmington.

Somebody mentioned the Reds again, conjuring up this image in Jim's mind.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: June 26, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »

thats weird. a bit too visible for GM. griffey looks like he is pulling away from him.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: June 26, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »
thats weird. a bit too visible for GM. griffey looks like he is pulling away from him.

Being pushed, I was thinking.

« Reply #8: June 26, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

That is creepy. It reminds me of those uber-fruity photos hanging in the lobby of a Sears or Walmart Family Photo Department.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: June 26, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »
Jim's probably imagining the two of them together, riding a horse down a sandy beach, shirtless... :-[

Offline blue911

« Reply #10: June 26, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
That is creepy. It reminds me of those uber-fruity photos hanging in the lobby of a Sears or Walmart Family Photo Department.

Or the Michael Jordan/Cuba Gooding ads.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #11: June 26, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »
rocky and apollo beach hug

« Reply #12: June 26, 2008, 12:49:23 PM »
rocky and apollo beach hug

You got it....

MrMadison

« Reply #13: June 26, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
Ed Wade is still employed as a GM?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: June 26, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »
I think Bowden's feelings are similar to those experienced by Franz, in this classic 1990 SNL skit with Patrick Swayze.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/pumping-up-with-hans-and-franz/1401613308

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: June 26, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
Late seventies Led Zepplin. Robert Plant was too weird,coupled with In Through the Out Door made me a little nervous.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #16: June 26, 2008, 03:41:04 PM »
Late seventies Led Zepplin. Robert Plant was too weird,coupled with In Through the Out Door made me a little nervous.

:shock:  That one deserves a Debbi Taylor special

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
« Reply #17: July 01, 2008, 04:54:20 PM »
The MLBPA filed a grievance because they terminated Chacon 'unlawfully'.  Jesus H. Christ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3469541

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #18: July 02, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »
The MLBPA filed a grievance because they terminated Chacon 'unlawfully'.  Jesus H. Christ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3469541
No kidding. Stupid union.

If they want to play "lawfully," Chacon should have been arrested.

(And Wade should be fired too, by the way.)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #19: July 03, 2008, 12:13:56 AM »
Why should Wade be fired?  :roll:  As I understand it, Chacon was asked on several occasions by his manager that he would like to talk to him.  It was said calmly in a non-threatening way.

For Chacon to act the way he did with a superior, of course he should be fired!  I don't think the Union has a chance in heck with the appeal of this mess.  What?  A player can knock a person to the ground and get away with it?  Fire the expetive  player!  :rant:

If I hauled off on my boss, the boss wouldn't get fired but I certainly would!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #20: July 04, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »
Why should Wade be fired?  :roll: 
Chacon's side of the story indicates Wade needs some disciplining; his GMing, on the other hand, is more important to my judgment. Perhaps I should have said "Wade should never have been hired" - although the results are oddly not too awful yet. Not that he didn't try.