Author Topic: Nationals @ Astros, Game 2  (Read 18390 times)

bangzoom05

Re: Nationals @ Astros, Game 2
« Reply #325: May 07, 2008, 11:18:11 PM »
Sportsfan882 We'll be at that game with you so you'll have company in your misery. I know it won't make you feel any better. Hopefully the other 8 guys on the field will remember the basics of sound baseball.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #326: May 07, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »
Hold up. Why was Perez taken out so early? I missed that.

Great question!!! Another Manny mystery.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #327: May 07, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »
Sportsfan882 We'll be at that game with you so you'll have company in your misery. I know it won't make you feel any better. Hopefully the other 8 guys on the field will remember the basics of sound baseball.

Miracles do happen (remember Speigner vs. Santana.) But why O'Connor is even being given a chance is beyond me. He has done nothing to deserve it.

Offline daveb32

« Reply #328: May 07, 2008, 11:20:56 PM »
To Matsui's credit, he manufactured that run all by himself, with little help from other batters. He beat out two perfect throws by Nieves and took a rare walk.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #329: May 07, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
Another thing: Our pitchers are the absolute worst in the league when they are ahead of opposing batters.  Perez was just baffling at times. He'd get ahead 0-2 and then throw a meatball down the middle.  Colome gave Lee way too hittable of a pitch at the end of the game in a pitcher's count.  This is on St. Claire evidently since every single one of our pitchers does this. 

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #330: May 07, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »
To Matsui's credit, he manufactured that run all by himself, with little help from other batters. He beat out two perfect throws by Nieves and took a rare walk.

It's why leadoff walks are so deadly. The run can be plated without the benefit of any hits or errors.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #331: May 07, 2008, 11:25:02 PM »
Another thing: Our pitchers are the absolute worst in the league when they are ahead of opposing batters.  Perez was just baffling at times. He'd get ahead 0-2 and then throw a meatball down the middle.  Colome gave Lee way too hittable of a pitch at the end of the game in a pitcher's count.  This is on St. Claire evidently since every single one of our pitchers does this. 

And why doesn't Aponte have the relievers prepared to come in and throw strikes? It seems they issue a lot of leadoff walks.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #332: May 07, 2008, 11:27:23 PM »
Perez was sick tonight. Puking and everything apparently.  I could tell something wasn't right with him.  Our rotation which was so hot just a week ago is now in shambles.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #333: May 07, 2008, 11:29:50 PM »
Perez was sick tonight. Puking and everything apparently.  I could tell something wasn't right with him.  Our rotation which was so hot just a week ago is now in shambles.

Perez has been the biggest surprise to me this season. He's kept us in all of the games he's started except for one. That's way more than anyone expected.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #334: May 07, 2008, 11:32:41 PM »
He could've pitched the 6th. He had already batted and wasn't due up again until the following inning. Let's not forget Colome's wild pitch.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #335: May 07, 2008, 11:34:53 PM »
This almost looked like one of those games where they let a bunch of guys have their swan song before being ditched. I have my fingers crossed that Jimbo has some moves coming. The thought of O'Connor starting at all is disgusting at this point. The thought of him getting behind every Marlins hitter is simply ridiculous. He may not escape the first inning.

I hope so. In the past Bowden has demanded results or heads roll. We need to purge ourselves of some bullpen dead weight, i.e., Colome, Hanrahan, and O'Connor.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #336: May 07, 2008, 11:36:25 PM »
He could've pitched the 6th. He had already batted and wasn't due up again until the following inning. Let's not forget Colome's wild pitch.
Colome is trash.  If this team is serious about winning they will cut bait with Colome and Hanrahan immediately. Why in the hell do they wait so long to make the move? They were way late cutting ties with King too.  I mean how many times do they want to see Colome and Hanrahan throw the ball all over the place and lose us game after game.

We are 3-13 when Colome pitches in a game and 1-13 when Hanrahan pitches in a game!!!!!!!!!

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #337: May 07, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »

BEST.3B.IN.BASEBALL.

it's a shame his 3/4, 2 homer night had to go to waste in a loss.

HE OWNED OSWALT.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #338: May 07, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »
He was the only one who owned Oswalt.  The rest of the team hit like a bunch of wusses.  They went long stretches without making contact or hitting the ball out of the infield. 

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #339: May 08, 2008, 12:44:25 AM »
“I wish we could do that,” he said. “They get a man on first and a couple of pitches later, he’s in scoring position. They’re a smart team, they know what counts to run on.”

:clap: :thumbs: is that a little jab by r.z. at our base-running blunders/being no real threat on the bases?

i can't believe we only have 8 stolen bases on the entire season (another area in which dukes would aid us).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #340: May 08, 2008, 12:50:17 AM »
:clap: :thumbs: is that a little jab by r.z. at our base-running blunders/being no real threat on the bases?

i can't believe we only have 8 stolen bases on the entire season (another area in which dukes would aid us).
We have no one who can steal at a high rate but we can't even attempt steals because no one ever gets on base. 

Opposing pitchers/catchers don't allow runners to roam the bases at will either like ours do as well.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #341: May 08, 2008, 12:55:22 AM »
We have no one who can steal at a high rate but we can't even attempt steals because no one ever gets on base. 

Felipe! :D

He's a great base-stealer. I'm pretty sure he's perfect on the season, too. He just needs to stop only getting extra-base hits. He's got the skills to steal 40-50 bases.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #342: May 08, 2008, 01:16:58 AM »
Man Hanrahan is a head case. Even he admits it.

But in the half-hour after the 4-3 loss at Minute Maid Park -- one that ended when Houston left fielder Carlos Lee hit a line-drive single to center with one out and runners at the corners in the bottom of the ninth -- Joel Hanrahan sat at his locker, his back to the visitors' clubhouse. An ice pack wrapped around his right elbow. His teammates ate quietly, showered, watched video. Hanrahan sat still, bare-footed, silent.

"I mean, I really . . . I've got no answer for it right now," Hanrahan said. "I don't know. You can't win ballgames by walking people, and that's what I did."

"I don't know," Hanrahan said. "I'm just not throwing strikes. I guess I'm maybe trying too hard to throw strikes and it's getting in my head. Right now, I'm not doing it."

"When it gets in your head," Hanrahan said, "I guess maybe that's my problem."

Joel leads all NL relievers in walks with 18 yet is 2nd in Ks by NL relievers with 27.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #343: May 08, 2008, 02:03:43 AM »
18? :shock: Does he even have that many IP?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #344: May 08, 2008, 08:12:55 AM »
18? :shock: Does he even have that many IP?

19 IP.

I don't know how some of these guys can look their teammates in the face or collect their paychecks with a clear conscience.

We are 3-13 when Colome pitches in a game and 1-13 when Hanrahan pitches in a game!!!!!!!!!

We're 1-10 when both pitch in the same game.