Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 417053 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #3000: March 19, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »
My name is Lee. Was a longtime Expos fan. Was angry with the name change so became a Blue Jays fan but the AL sucks and I've decided to return to my first love. Blessing.

Welcome!  Are you from Canada?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #3001: March 19, 2021, 12:19:26 PM »
My name is Lee. Was a longtime Expos fan. Was angry with the name change so became a Blue Jays fan but the AL sucks and I've decided to return to my first love. Blessing.

Hi Lee, were you a poster on the old Expos board?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3002: March 19, 2021, 08:59:43 PM »

Just in time to get angry again when the NL adopts the DH.

Glad to see you here, though.

Offline Turnertheburner

« Reply #3003: April 02, 2021, 08:15:02 PM »
Turnertheburner here. As you can see from my username I'm a big fan of Trea. Two of my kids graduated from NC STATE where Trea went to college. I had season tickets to baseball during Trea and Carlos Rodon's years there. Both special from the start. Anyway that's really why I became a Nat's fan. Have loved following Trea's success. Remember the 1st time I traveled to DC to see him. He was brand new and all the great Nats fans I talked to had no idea what potential he had.   

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3004: April 03, 2021, 12:48:07 PM »
Turnertheburner here. As you can see from my username I'm a big fan of Trea. Two of my kids graduated from NC STATE where Trea went to college. I had season tickets to baseball during Trea and Carlos Rodon's years there. Both special from the start. Anyway that's really why I became a Nat's fan. Have loved following Trea's success. Remember the 1st time I traveled to DC to see him. He was brand new and all the great Nats fans I talked to had no idea what potential he had.   

welcome!  I don't know if the power potential was apparent back in school, but he's just a wonderful multi-tool player.  It'll be really curious to see what sort of impact the next class of SS free agents has on the Nats willingness and ability to keep him around long term.  Lindor I think is a special case, but this fall there's Seager, Baez, Story, Correa, plus Semien. Simmons and Iglesias too.

Offline imref

« Reply #3005: April 03, 2021, 12:57:27 PM »

welcome!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #3006: April 04, 2021, 09:43:20 AM »
Welcome - where do you live full time ?

Offline jamie_zimmerman

« Reply #3007: April 05, 2021, 04:14:45 PM »
Hi, im Jamie- big fan of the Nats. Though i am now out west, Nats Park and their funnel cakes will always be a favorite. Working at TiqAssist I have become a bit of a ticket expert, so if anyone has any questions i can always help out. Excited for the sports conversations to come!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3008: April 05, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »
Hi, im Jamie- big fan of the Nats. Though i am now out west, Nats Park and their funnel cakes will always be a favorite. Working at TiqAssist I have become a bit of a ticket expert, so if anyone has any questions i can always help out. Excited for the sports conversations to come!
welcome! We even had the Nats move opening day so you'd be here at the start of the season.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #3009: July 30, 2023, 09:23:15 AM »
Hey guys, last-generation Expos fan here. Glad to be here, I'm happy that DC supported the team for almost 20 years now. Looking forward to our discussions here!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3010: July 30, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
Hey guys, last-generation Expos fan here. Glad to be here, I'm happy that DC supported the team for almost 20 years now. Looking forward to our discussions here!
welcome, OtB! sorry if there were any delays in approvals of your initial post. We tend to watch the first post for bots and spam stuff. 

There's a few old expo fans around here.  Hope you enjoy it.

Offline imref

« Reply #3011: July 30, 2023, 02:46:54 PM »
Welcome!

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #3012: July 30, 2023, 06:24:56 PM »
welcome, OtB! sorry if there were any delays in approvals of your initial post. We tend to watch the first post for bots and spam stuff. 

There's a few old expo fans around here.  Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks JCA, and no worries, I understand!

Looking forward to connect with people here, and by the way Platoon is a great movie;) haha

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #3014: August 27, 2023, 06:18:46 PM »

Welcome, OtB! I'm a third-generation Nats fan -- Nationals (official name), Senators (a popular name), and now Nationals again. We lost my childhood team to Minneapolis just as they were ready to compete, and lost my teenaged Nats team to someplace in Texas. I know the pain when your team is moved. But you have found us. Nats Park will honor Expos until Montreal gets a team again.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #3015: August 27, 2023, 08:56:32 PM »
Welcome, OtB! I'm a third-generation Nats fan -- Nationals (official name), Senators (a popular name), and now Nationals again. We lost my childhood team to Minneapolis just as they were ready to compete, and lost my teenaged Nats team to someplace in Texas. I know the pain when your team is moved. But you have found us. Nats Park will honor Expos until Montreal gets a team again.

Thank you for the kind words, Welch. Indeed the pain of losing a team is heart breaking, I can't believe you went through it twice. I was also a teen when the team moved to DC.

However I am happy that they didn't move for nothing, as I went to Nats Park last week and really liked the ballpark, the fans and the town. I sincerely hope that the team stays in DC forever. I am also really glad to be part of WNFF 😁

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3016: August 28, 2023, 09:37:10 AM »
TBH, I feel more attached to Montreal history than Washington baseball history. Probably has to do with Montreal having some interesting players and teams and being closer to Boston than DC from when I was a teenager to my 40s. I'm a minority here and respect the DC baseball history fans, but i'd like to see the Nats adopt more of a "caretaker" approach to the Expos part of their past. Wear the Expos unis on Canada Day, for example. Break out an inverted M logo since it looks like a W. Maybe honor Steve Rogers with a first pitch. Formally adopt a position that MLB should expand back to Montreal. Play an exhibition there (but not against the Jays!). And of course, if a new team expands to Montreal, have MLB treat the records of the Expos as their records and deem the Nats as a new franchise.

Offline OfftheBat

« Reply #3017: August 28, 2023, 12:27:39 PM »
TBH, I feel more attached to Montreal history than Washington baseball history. Probably has to do with Montreal having some interesting players and teams and being closer to Boston than DC from when I was a teenager to my 40s. I'm a minority here and respect the DC baseball history fans, but i'd like to see the Nats adopt more of a "caretaker" approach to the Expos part of their past. Wear the Expos unis on Canada Day, for example. Break out an inverted M logo since it looks like a W. Maybe honor Steve Rogers with a first pitch. Formally adopt a position that MLB should expand back to Montreal. Play an exhibition there (but not against the Jays!). And of course, if a new team expands to Montreal, have MLB treat the records of the Expos as their records and deem the Nats as a new franchise.

I respect the DC baseball history fans too; I think that your suggestions are great (but I am obviously biased).

I was very happy to see the Montreal logo with Carter/Dawson/Raine's names at Nats Park, so I think that's enough for now. However, I can't lie, I would love to see another Expos-uniform game like the one the Nats played in 2019.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #3018: August 28, 2023, 12:43:57 PM »

I respect the DC baseball history fans too; I think that your suggestions are great (but I am obviously biased).

I was very happy to see the Montreal logo with Carter/Dawson/Raine's names at Nats Park, so I think that's enough for now. However, I can't lie, I would love to see another Expos-uniform game like the one the Nats played in 2019.

Agreed about the names being put up there at the ballpark, I think that’s a sufficient way for things to be handled for now. I was there when Dawson came for his ceremony, and that seem to work fine. As there don’t figure to be too many more Hall of Famers coming from that crop of Expos rosters nor the old Senators rosters, time seems to be taking care of that.

It would be one thing if Washington didn’t have a baseball history before 1969 that has limited ways to be recognized as it is. With the team back, it makes a lot more sense for throwback things to be focused on the old time Nationals/Senators here, especially since Minnesota and Texas now have over 50 years of baseball history they can recognize with throwbacks etc.

I think the better teams to carry the history side for the time being are the Canadiens and the Blue Jays. I seem to recall some Expos player recognition things happening at the Bell centre since the move, and that makes sense because many from the fan base when those players were active can still enjoy that.

The Jays are the team that has been willing to come over for the exhibition games that they’ve had recently, so that seems a natural fit. Further official baseball-specific recognitions might seem well-suited to occur there, including an alternate uniform day from the period before the blue jays existed. I think that would be something that could work for everyone involved.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3019: August 28, 2023, 02:26:40 PM »

peculiar that Pedro was not included, but I suppose something could be said about Vladi and Walker too.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3020: August 28, 2023, 02:29:41 PM »

I think the better teams to carry the history side for the time being are the Canadiens and the Blue Jays. I seem to recall some Expos player recognition things happening at the Bell centre since the move, and that makes sense because many from the fan base when those players were active can still enjoy that.
Love that the Habs picked up Youppi! , I know folks like Cistulli really don't give two cahoots about the Nats at this point, so you are probably right.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #3021: August 28, 2023, 03:28:00 PM »
Love that the Habs picked up Youppi! , I know folks like Cistulli really don't give two cahoots about the Nats at this point, so you are probably right.
Youppi is a sad thing that not even the kids like.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3022: August 28, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
Youppi is a sad thing that not even the kids like.
but his kid, Gritty, is awesome. it's kind of like Ken Griffey and Ken Griffey Jr.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #3023: August 28, 2023, 04:57:00 PM »
peculiar that Pedro was not included, but I suppose something could be said about Vladi and Walker too.
1997 Pedro was pretty special, but he was only with the expos for 4 year.   Walker wasn't there that long either.   Vlad would probably have the best case. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #3024: August 28, 2023, 05:03:30 PM »

All of them have another teams cap on their plaque.