Author Topic: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread (2008)  (Read 64377 times)

Offline blue911

Re: The "Former Nat Watch" Thread
« Reply #250: August 23, 2008, 01:05:41 PM »
It means this thread belongs in the "news from around the majors" section.

You,NOTLD and I should be moderators  :twisted:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #251: August 23, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »
I like this LGT guy. He made some great points.

In short, if your philosophy is "My favorite teams are my team and whoever is playing my team's supposed rival", you are not a true fan. 

I have to give it up for this statement though.   :clap:  How many morons have you heard say, "I root for two teams. The Redskins and whoever is playing dallas"? Or this one, "I don't care if the Redskins lose all their games as long as they beat dallas twice"?  :?  I've even seen idiots that wear t-shirts with those statements on them.   >:(

oakviewnatfan

« Reply #252: August 23, 2008, 01:17:35 PM »
It means this thread belongs in the "news from around the majors" section.
Are you always like this?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #253: August 23, 2008, 01:21:58 PM »
Are you always like this?

I already know the answer to your question but just to be clear, can you be more specific?

Offline natsdad

« Reply #254: August 23, 2008, 03:31:41 PM »
Spidey: Is it your time of the month???

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #255: August 23, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
lol, i dont see any attitude anywhere, just a correction of where the thread should be.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #256: August 23, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »
Spidey: Is it your time of the month???

If that's supposed to be a crack about bleeding I bet I can come up with a better one.

Offline heatchucker

« Reply #257: August 23, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
Dont really care much about a Diamondback, Cardinal, or Mets much

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #258: August 23, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »
This is about the only thing you've said that makes sense. But this kind of attitude abounds even outside of NY and Boston. We have some stupid Redskins fans who obsess about Dallas to the point that they hate the cowboys more than the actually love the Skins. In fact, anyone who wears gear that says something negative about an opponent rather than wear gear that promotes their own team is a moron.
I agree with everything else you said but disagree with that last sentence.  That's the type of thing that fuels rivalries.

« Reply #259: August 23, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
Ayala who?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #260: August 23, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »
sheesh, give each other a break! :lol:

But he's right, this should've been in News from around the Majors, or at least the former Nats thread.

« Reply #261: August 23, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »
You,NOTLD and I should be moderators  :twisted:

Word up. We would teach posters to respect themselves forced they wreck themselves --and post in the right areas under the penalty of death.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #262: August 23, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »
The Chavez catch was at least 50% luck.  That's not saying there was no skill involved, but still.  If the Mets had gone on to win the game, it would have been an epic, historic catch.  As it stands, I doubt even most Mets fans will remember it a few years from now.

LGT, most of the guys here are pretty rational when not baited, but coming in and hitting on the nerves you hit on is a recipe for some angry remarks.  Former players who leave, improve, and then badmouth the Nats (the only thing left for Ayala to do at this point) are a sore topic around here.

Personally I'm in spider's camp.  Once a player stops wearing the DC uniform, I really don't care what he does.

Offline blue911

« Reply #263: August 23, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »
Word up. We would teach posters to respect themselves forced they wreck themselves --and post in the right areas under the penalty of death.

No crap. We'll make the Spanish Inquisition look like a Wiggles concert.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #264: August 23, 2008, 06:33:06 PM »

I have to give it up for this statement though.   :clap:  How many morons have you heard say, "I root for two teams. The Redskins and whoever is playing dallas"? Or this one, "I don't care if the Redskins lose all their games as long as they beat dallas twice"?  :?  I've even seen idiots that wear t-shirts with those statements on them.   >:(
I also have no problem with that first quote, but when someone roots for the Giants/Eagles over Dallas when the Redskins are in a playoff race with either team, that's where I cross the line.  I think it's fine to fervently root against Dallas as long as it doesn't conflict with the Redskins' playoff interests.

MrMadison

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #266: August 23, 2008, 11:50:38 PM »

I have to give it up for this statement though.   :clap:  How many morons have you heard say, "I root for two teams. The Redskins and whoever is playing dallas"? Or this one, "I don't care if the Redskins lose all their games as long as they beat dallas twice"?  :?  I've even seen idiots that wear t-shirts with those statements on them.   >:(

When the Nats were in the thick of things in 2005, I often watched Mets and Braves games to root against them. I don't think that makes me a moron.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #267: August 24, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »
When the Nats were in the thick of things in 2005, I often watched Mets and Braves games to root against them. I don't think that makes me a moron.

You didn't get the gist of the statement. Some people are obsessed with hating rivals to the point that their hatred for other teams is oftentimes greater than their love for their own team. See the statement about moron Redskins fans that are obsessed with the cowboys. To them a cowboys loss is as important as a Redskins win, if not more important. Besides, I can think of other things that make you a moron.  :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #268: August 24, 2008, 12:35:36 AM »
You didn't get the gist of the statement. Some people are obsessed with hating rivals to the point that their hatred for other teams is oftentimes greater than their love for their own team. See the statement about moron Redskins fans that are obsessed with the cowboys. To them a cowboys loss is as important as a Redskins win, if not more important. Besides, I can think of other things that make you a moron.  :lol:

My low intellect, wrong ideas, and stupid face?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #269: August 24, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »
My low intellect, wrong ideas, and stupid face?

I've never seen your face so I can't comment on that. 

LetsGoTech

« Reply #270: August 24, 2008, 01:21:17 AM »
The Chavez catch was at least 50% luck.  That's not saying there was no skill involved, but still.  If the Mets had gone on to win the game, it would have been an epic, historic catch.  As it stands, I doubt even most Mets fans will remember it a few years from now.

LGT, most of the guys here are pretty rational when not baited, but coming in and hitting on the nerves you hit on is a recipe for some angry remarks.  Former players who leave, improve, and then badmouth the Nats (the only thing left for Ayala to do at this point) are a sore topic around here.

Personally I'm in spider's camp.  Once a player stops wearing the DC uniform, I really don't care what he does.

OK, let me take this in pieces:  firstly, I doubt a lot of my fellow Mets fans remember the Chavez catch NOW, never mind a few years from now.  It's sadly already been relegated to the back pages of their minds for exactly the reason you state: we didn't win the game, and so how important was it?  Well, it wasn't terribly important, but it was still one of the best catches I've ever seen.  Only once or twice in my lifetime have I seen a catch that made me stand up and say, "We're going to win!"  That was one of them.  (even if I happened to be wrong.)  It may have been luck.  But if it WAS luck, then that 50% skill is better than a lot of players in the bigs.  Put simply, Moises Alou could not have made that same catch, even with 100% luck and a specially designed baseball magnet secreted in his glove.

Second, my point kind of is, why worry about the players who have left?  They're gone!  Screw 'em!  I can't even believe the topic of what they're doing and how they're performing matters!  Believe me when I say I haven't spent more than 30 seconds wondering about how Kaz Matsui is doing since he left, and that was only because I was watching the playoffs last year, and I said, "Oh, Matsui ended up on the Rockies?"  20 seconds later, I was on to another subject.  I don't understand it.  (Oh, and in all seriousness...what baiting??  As you can probably tell, it was unintentional.  I get sarcastic and cynical from time to time, and so I can pretty easily imagine myself baiting without meaning to.  I have no problems with people hating me for what I say, but it's frustrating to be hated for something I didn't actually mean.  Ah, well, either way, I'll find some way to move on with my life.)

Third, (more like 2.1), Ayala DID get traded, you know...it's not like you guys offered him a contract and he went to New York for more money.  It really isn't like he had a choice, so if he's doing better now, what's so terrible about that?  Sometimes it's just a change of scenery that's needed.  There's been plenty of players over the years who got rejuvenated when they changed teams.  There's also plenty of history of players who switched teams and disintegrated.  (cough, cough, Adrian Beltre, cough, cough...)

Fourth, well, I kinda already covered this...once they don't play for you, why is it a concern anymore?  Focus on the future, it's not like the good old days were all that good.  Instead of kibitzing about Ayala, why not talk about Hernandez?  I mean, when the kid has his head on straight, he's a HECK of a ballplayer, and we were going to waste him at 2B.  Now he can come in and play short for you guys, get a MUCH better opportunity to play, and play where he's best suited.  I wish him AND the Nats nothing but the best of luck!  But that's just me.  Worry about what you have, and believe it or not, (and judging from a lot of the posts, many of you need convincing), you have some nice pieces here.  I'm a believer in the Nationals, even if almost all of my fellow Met fans, and at least one or two of you are not.

LGT

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #271: August 24, 2008, 09:25:20 AM »
OK, let me take this in pieces:  firstly, I doubt a lot of my fellow Mets fans remember the Chavez catch NOW, never mind a few years from now.  It's sadly already been relegated to the back pages of their minds for exactly the reason you state: we didn't win the game, and so how important was it?  Well, it wasn't terribly important, but it was still one of the best catches I've ever seen.  Only once or twice in my lifetime have I seen a catch that made me stand up and say, "We're going to win!"  That was one of them.  (even if I happened to be wrong.)  It may have been luck.  But if it WAS luck, then that 50% skill is better than a lot of players in the bigs.  Put simply, Moises Alou could not have made that same catch, even with 100% luck and a specially designed baseball magnet secreted in his glove.

Second, my point kind of is, why worry about the players who have left?  They're gone!  Screw 'em!  I can't even believe the topic of what they're doing and how they're performing matters!  Believe me when I say I haven't spent more than 30 seconds wondering about how Kaz Matsui is doing since he left, and that was only because I was watching the playoffs last year, and I said, "Oh, Matsui ended up on the Rockies?"  20 seconds later, I was on to another subject.  I don't understand it.  (Oh, and in all seriousness...what baiting??  As you can probably tell, it was unintentional.  I get sarcastic and cynical from time to time, and so I can pretty easily imagine myself baiting without meaning to.  I have no problems with people hating me for what I say, but it's frustrating to be hated for something I didn't actually mean.  Ah, well, either way, I'll find some way to move on with my life.)

Third, (more like 2.1), Ayala DID get traded, you know...it's not like you guys offered him a contract and he went to New York for more money.  It really isn't like he had a choice, so if he's doing better now, what's so terrible about that?  Sometimes it's just a change of scenery that's needed.  There's been plenty of players over the years who got rejuvenated when they changed teams.  There's also plenty of history of players who switched teams and disintegrated.  (cough, cough, Adrian Beltre, cough, cough...)

Fourth, well, I kinda already covered this...once they don't play for you, why is it a concern anymore?  Focus on the future, it's not like the good old days were all that good.  Instead of kibitzing about Ayala, why not talk about Hernandez?  I mean, when the kid has his head on straight, he's a HECK of a ballplayer, and we were going to waste him at 2B.  Now he can come in and play short for you guys, get a MUCH better opportunity to play, and play where he's best suited.  I wish him AND the Nats nothing but the best of luck!  But that's just me.  Worry about what you have, and believe it or not, (and judging from a lot of the posts, many of you need convincing), you have some nice pieces here.  I'm a believer in the Nationals, even if almost all of my fellow Met fans, and at least one or two of you are not.

LGT

Ayala was having an epically bad season and had the gall to demand a trade because he wasn't named closer. He wasn't signed for next year and was pitching like a dog turd. That's pretty outrageous.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #272: August 24, 2008, 12:18:56 PM »

or "check yourself (themselves) before before you wreck yourself (themsevles)"?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #273: August 24, 2008, 01:04:55 PM »
Ayala was having an epically bad season and had the gall to demand a trade because he wasn't named closer.

I missed that report.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #274: August 24, 2008, 01:05:39 PM »
or "check yourself (themselves) before before you wreck yourself (themsevles)"?

Now I get it.  :lol: