Author Topic: DEATHS COMPARISONS IN LATEST WARS.  (Read 3898 times)

arkymark

Re: DEATHS COMPARISONS IN LATEST WARS.
« Reply #25: February 05, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »
The U.S. Army has a third fewer soldiers than it did at the time it fought the 1991 Gulf War.  In 1990 the army had 764,000 active duty troops.  It now has 512,000.  The reduction came during the first Bush and the Clinton years, and there has not yet been a substantial increase since.  A smirking laugh without even bothering to say anything is always about as offensive a thing as one person can do to another, but when the smirker is wrong it is particularly infuriating.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: February 05, 2008, 04:47:15 PM »
^
^
^
^
:rofl:  You don't even know what I was smirking about.

nospinzone1

« Reply #27: February 05, 2008, 05:08:47 PM »
BOTTOM LINE: WHAT SHOULD WE DO? SIT ON OUR COLLECTIVE ARSES AND LET THE TERRORISTS AND DICTATORS TAKE OVER THE WHOLE WORLD? I HAVE LOTS OF EMPATHY FOR THOSE BRAVE ARMED FORCES LADS AND LASSES THAT VOLUNTEERED TO KEEP US SAFE. I DO NOT LIKE THE CASUALTIES OF WAR OR SUICIDES ANY MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE A MILLION TIMES WORSE.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #28: February 05, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »
Someone already pointed out that sources need to be questioned. CBS being one of these dubious sources.

Per CBS, the number of military suicides is rising, the military suicide rate is worst than at any time in the past 25 years, and that the number of attempts has quadrupled between 2002 and 2006.  The facts are the the average number annual of military suicides in the 1980's averaged 248, the 1990's average was 210, and in the 2000's it is 172.  Since 1980, the military suicide rate peaked in 1995 at 16.641 per 100,000, and 1994 at 14.668.  It was 13.594 per 100,000in 2006 and was 11.480 per 100,000 in 2002 (which was the 19th lowest rate in the 27 years covered in the report).

As General Giap will firmly attest, CBS hardly ever gets it right.

arkymark

« Reply #29: February 05, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »
^
^
^
^
:rofl:  You don't even know what I was smirking about.
[/quote

Then don't you think that's a particularly nasty thing to do?  Like I'm such a non-entity that the only possible response is to laugh at me?  Maybe that's true, but it's extraordinarily demeaning.

arkymark

« Reply #30: February 05, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
BOTTOM LINE: WHAT SHOULD WE DO? SIT ON OUR COLLECTIVE ARSES AND LET THE TERRORISTS AND DICTATORS TAKE OVER THE WHOLE WORLD? I HAVE LOTS OF EMPATHY FOR THOSE BRAVE ARMED FORCES LADS AND LASSES THAT VOLUNTEERED TO KEEP US SAFE. I DO NOT LIKE THE CASUALTIES OF WAR OR SUICIDES ANY MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE. THE ALTERNATIVE WOULD BE A MILLION TIMES WORSE.

That's not the point.  You posted information suggesting that the media was engaged in a plot to make it look like more people had died in wars under Clinton and Carter than under Bush, but that is just not true.  And if the war is necessary it should be fought competently.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: February 05, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »

Well, you have to admit it was a little bizarre to attack Iraq given they had nothing whatsoever to do with those who attacked us.  I would prefer a little more thought go into it than just running around blowing crap up.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #32: February 05, 2008, 06:06:34 PM »

Then don't you think that's a particularly nasty thing to do?  Like I'm such a non-entity that the only possible response is to laugh at me?  Maybe that's true, but it's extraordinarily demeaning.

Whatever dude.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nospinzone1

« Reply #33: February 05, 2008, 07:06:47 PM »
Per CBS, the number of military suicides is rising, the military suicide rate is worst than at any time in the past 25 years, and that the number of attempts has quadrupled between 2002 and 2006.  The facts are the the average number annual of military suicides in the 1980's averaged 248, the 1990's average was 210, and in the 2000's it is 172.  Since 1980, the military suicide rate peaked in 1995 at 16.641 per 100,000, and 1994 at 14.668.  It was 13.594 per 100,000in 2006 and was 11.480 per 100,000 in 2002 (which was the 19th lowest rate in the 27 years covered in the report).

As General Giap will firmly attest, CBS hardly ever gets it right.

CBS HAS BEEN CAUGHT IN SOME BIG GAFFES BEFORE.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #35: February 05, 2008, 07:39:52 PM »
What does this have to do with the source of your information being either mis-informed, ignorant, or an intentional liar?

Do you really think that there are two, and just two alternatives? I think there's a whole range of options.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #36: February 05, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
What does this have to do with the source of your information being either mis-informed, ignorant, or an intentional liar?

When you have a source, and even site the source, and then publish something so inaccurate and one-sided, it is hard to believe it is an accident. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #37: February 05, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »
I understand. I was being gracious.

When you have a source, and even site the source, and then publish something so inaccurate and one-sided, it is hard to believe it is an accident. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #38: February 05, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »
I think nospin has a strategy to posting stuff he hasn't vetted.  He can count on all of us to analyze and test his stuff, and in the end the truth is revealed.  So why not just throw stuff out here and see what sticks?

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #39: February 05, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »
You're a lot better at dishing it than taking it, slick

Whatever dude.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #40: February 05, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »
You're a lot better at dishing it than taking it, slick

You don't know what the freak you're talking about dude. There was nothing about what that person said that offended me so don't tell me about taking it slick. If you feel so inclined though you're welcome to try me. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #41: February 05, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
I think nospin has a strategy to posting stuff he hasn't vetted.  He can count on all of us to analyze and test his stuff, and in the end the truth is revealed.  So why not just throw stuff out here and see what sticks?

It's fortunate for him that he has all of you to set him on the right path.

• babble on
« Reply #42: February 05, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »
Well, we've already established that...when you aren't channeling Howard Stern and the Greaseman, you are a stand-up family values guy.  Pretty freaking hilarious.

You don't know what the **** you're talking about dude. There was nothing about what that person said that offended me so don't tell me about taking it slick. If you feel so inclined though you're welcome to try me. I'm sure the opportunity will present itself.

« Reply #43: February 05, 2008, 10:06:49 PM »
*munches popcorn*

Offline spidernat

« Reply #44: February 05, 2008, 10:07:26 PM »
I think we should handle this privately. I sent you a PM addressing the issue. That's all I have to say on it. So let's handle it when the time comes.

• babble on
« Reply #45: February 05, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »
As you wish.

nospinzone1

« Reply #46: February 05, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
KILL THE MESSENGER....TOO MANY KLINTON LOVERS HERE ON THAT POINT. I WAVE THE WHITE FLAG. I AM DONE WITH THIS THREAD.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #47: February 05, 2008, 11:00:23 PM »
KILL THE MESSENGER....TOO MANY KLINTON LOVERS HERE ON THAT POINT. I WAVE THE WHITE FLAG. I AM DONE WITH THIS THREAD.

Stand your ground nospin.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #48: February 05, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »
Damn, this is some funny stuff.  I don't understand what Arkymark was pissed off to begin with though.   :glug:

• babble on
« Reply #49: February 05, 2008, 11:36:54 PM »
You ain't kidding...what a hilariously stupid thread LOL.  Though I can certainly understand why certain circles got angry.

Damn, this is some funny stuff.  I don't understand what Arkymark was pissed off to begin with though.   :glug: