Author Topic: Tech question  (Read 1472 times)

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Tech question
« Topic Start: October 31, 2007, 08:29:45 AM »
Is there any way to cut-and-paste a pdf file into a post?  The file insert box doesn't list pdf as an accepted file format.

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Tech question
« Reply #1: October 31, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »
If you want to post a portion of a PDF file, you can use the Snapshot tool (Tools -> Selection Tools -> Snapshot Tool) and select and area.

Then, open Paint and go to Edit -> Paste

Then save the image as a .jpg file, which you can then upload

If you have Vista, you also have a snipping tool (Programs -> Accessories -> Snipping Tool).   This allows you to select the area from any part of your screen and save it as an image in a single step.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: October 31, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
If you want to post a portion of a PDF file, you can use the Snapshot tool (Tools -> Selection Tools -> Snapshot Tool) and select and area.

Where does one find the initial "Tools" per your sequence above?  There is a "Tools" at the top of the IE screen, but "Selection Tools" is not an option underneath.

EDIT:  I've answered my own question.  Of course you have to be in Adobe Reader, the program used to read a .pdf file, where if you find the "Tools" menu, pull it down, I then have to choose "Basic -> Selection Tools etc.

Once you get it into Paint, you are home free.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: October 31, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »
Where does one find the initial "Tools" per your sequence above?  There is a "Tools" at the top of the IE screen, but "Selection Tools" is not an option underneath.

EDIT:  I've answered my own question.  Of course you have to be in Adobe Reader, the program used to read a .pdf file, where if you find the "Tools" menu, pull it down, I then have to choose "Basic -> Selection Tools etc.

Once you get it into Paint, you are home free.

I have Adobe 8, which changed things a little.  Also, in some earlier versions and/or 3rd party readers, you could just click on the camera icon.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #4: October 31, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
You could also size the Adobe window, select the window, and do Ctrl+Alt+PrintScreen to do a screen print (which puts the image in the paste buffer), then open Paint, paste it, crop/size it, and save it as a bitmap.

Sounds like a long string of things to do, but it's really pretty easy.

Offline 2IPAs

« Reply #5: October 31, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »
This may take a while!  :shock: I'll dork around with Adobe Reader (and maybe Acrobat) and see what happens.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline 2IPAs

« Reply #6: October 31, 2007, 01:10:39 PM »
Well, I did manage to convert the file to a jpg using Paint, but when I previewed my post, the image wasn't there (though it appears in the attachment box). Any ideas why this is happening?  Maybe I left out a step?  I was wondering whether I needed to hit the "insert image" button on the button bar also. Can you tell I am a bit tech challenged? Thanks.

natsfan1a

« Reply #7: October 31, 2007, 02:25:38 PM »
I'm no techie, but I'll take a crack at it since nobody else has weighed in. What I do is to write my post, hit the preview button, hit the additional options button, hit the browse button until the file name appears in the blank to the left of that button, and hit post. For me it works best if I have the image file on the desktop of my computer rather than buried in a folder somewhere, but that's more about ease of navigation for me, I think. Also, I've found that if the extension reads "jpeg" instead of "jpg" it won't work (but if you edit the extension to delete the "e" it will). I have no idea why that is (scratching head) but it seems to be the case. Hope that helps! If not, I've found that chocolate can be helpful. ;)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: October 31, 2007, 02:29:50 PM »
natsfan1a is a riot.

Offline 2IPAs

« Reply #9: October 31, 2007, 03:03:47 PM »
Thanks, 1a. Deleting the "e" did the trick!

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: October 31, 2007, 04:15:01 PM »
You're welcome. Glad that it worked!

Thanks, 1a. Deleting the "e" did the trick!

natsfan1a

« Reply #11: October 31, 2007, 04:15:45 PM »
Gee thanks, spidey! :)

natsfan1a is a riot.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: October 31, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »
Ohhhhh!!!!  That's why I can't post pics!  I have to delete that 'e'!!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: November 01, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »
Ohhhhh!!!!  That's why I can't post pics!  I have to delete that 'e'!!

Ok, who spilled the beans and let Kim in on our little picture posting secret?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #14: November 01, 2007, 08:04:35 PM »
Tricky part is that I can't delete that danged 'e'.  Sorry to bust in on the party.  :D

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: November 01, 2007, 10:30:33 PM »
If you right-click on the icon for the file, you should be able to bring up a cursor in the file name by selecting rename. Then you should be able to backspace to delete the "e."

Tricky part is that I can't delete that danged 'e'.  Sorry to bust in on the party.  :D