Author Topic: 2007 Hagerstown Suns rank third.....  (Read 1749 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
2007 Hagerstown Suns rank third.....
« Topic Start: October 23, 2007, 05:22:51 PM »
in worst defense among all minor league teams, per Baseball Prospectus:

3. Hagerstown Suns, South Atlantic League, Nationals (Low-A)
Team ERA: 4.76
Team DER: .614
Team FIP: 4.27
Notable Pitching Prospects: Jhonny Nunez, Marco Estrada, Cory Van Allen

The slow resurgence of the Nationals farm system began at its lowest levels this season, and while the play of many among this year's crop of Suns was cause for optimism, the team’s defense was atrocious. The pitcher most affected was Jhonny Nunez, a live-armed hurler acquired from the Dodgers for Marlon Anderson a year ago. While Nunez did manage to allow fewer hits (97) than innings pitched (106 2/3), better defense could have created a better ratio, and generated more recognition. The team also had a pair of pitching prospects stop by briefly, Estrada and Van Allen, and despite good strikeout rates, both players were affected by the team's bad defense. While Estrada has the better arm, Van Allen’s command from the left side (just six walks in 54 2/3 innings at the level) might make him the more intriguing prospect. While the everyday defense didn’t feature any noteworthy prospects, the team had brief help from high 2006 picks Chris Marrero and Stephen King. If the team DER is at all reflective of their play, Marrero has a lot of work to do in the outfield, and King might need to be moved across bag at the keystone.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: 2007 Hagerstown Suns rank third.....
« Reply #1: October 23, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »
Is Stephen King a hitting prospect? A good hitting 2nd baseman at Low A is still good right?

I've raised the idea in the past: if Marrero really is that bad defensively, could he turn into another Kasto? Could he be moved around so much it affects his hitting? Should we move him now when his value is still high?

arkymark

« Reply #2: October 23, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »
I thought he was going to be settled at First.  In which case the question is, could he be worse than Dmitri?

Offline PC

« Reply #3: October 24, 2007, 07:07:32 AM »
I've raised the idea in the past: if Marrero really is that bad defensively, could he turn into another Kasto? Could he be moved around so much it affects his hitting? Should we move him now when his value is still high?

There's nothing in the BA report about Marrero being bad defensively.  Where are you getting the idea that he's particularly bad on defense.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: October 24, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »
There's nothing in the BA report about Marrero being bad defensively.  Where are you getting the idea that he's particularly bad on defense.

"Marrero has a lot of work to do in the outfield" is a way of saying he stinks out there.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #5: October 24, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »
"Marrero has a lot of work to do in the outfield" is a way of saying he stinks out there.
I watched him in one game in Potomac and he looked good in LF.  He even threw out a runner out at home on a cannon throw from LF. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: October 24, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »
I watched him in one game in Potomac and he looked good in LF.  He even threw out a runner out at home on a cannon throw from LF. 

I haven't seen him play at all, just regurgitating what I've been reading.  But I think the decision has been made to make him a 1st baseman, and since both Nick and Dmitri have 2 years left, you now have a succession plan in place for 1st.

arkymark

« Reply #7: October 24, 2007, 02:15:49 PM »
I remember one of Svurluga's columns asking how bad could he be, given how he hits.  Apparenlty the answer in the front office is, pretty bad, though maybe ok at first.