Author Topic: Pitcher or Power Hitter?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Pitcher or Power Hitter?
« Topic Start: July 08, 2005, 08:59:13 AM »
If it comes down to a choice...what do we think we should do?  Another thing to consider: Frank was quoted as "concerned" with a possible "big trade" by the deadline.  He stated that he doesn't want to mess with the chemistry of the team.  I don't blame him...it's one of the reasons we are where we are.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Pitcher or Power Hitter?
« Reply #1: July 08, 2005, 10:17:58 AM »
If we only get one more player then I'd have to say pitcher.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Pitcher or Power Hitter?
« Reply #2: July 08, 2005, 01:38:18 PM »
First, if the team starts losing, Franks *concerns* wont be worth a horses patoot. Second, any player acquired, he he a hitter or pitcher, would melt in to the comradeship and chemistry that the team has already, so again, that *concern* is horse hockey. Third, it would be nuts to think, no matter who was acquired, that they wouldn't be thrilled at coming to a contending and that would result in *added enthusiasm* being present in the locker room and on the bench, so again regarded those *concerns* poppycock. Fourth, the real reason Frank is *concerned* is that adding a player might mean he loses one or two of *his boys* (ie Willie or Willie Cordero). All Frank cares about is his *image*, hell say he's there to win, but he never showed that in the three years he was in Montreal, why all of a sudden does anyone think he's changed because he's in DC?

OK, now to the subject of your thread...

If the pitchers pitch relatively well, the addition of a power hitter who gets the job done would prove to be more valuable right now than a pitcher. He would help increase the run production, which in turn would help all the starters pitch a bit deeper into game, which would then result in less of a workload for the bullpen.

Adding a quality starter, only has the potential of helping once every 5th day, the run producing power hitter however could help on a daily basis. His being there would easy the strain on the rest of the lineup and as a result, they too would be more productive.

So definitely a power hitter would be more valuable to the Nats than a pitcher. That said, I'm greedy, I want both...

Anonymous

Pitcher or Power Hitter?
« Reply #3: July 08, 2005, 06:42:27 PM »
yeah thats makes good sense.  The bullpen will were out if they keep going like this.  The nats need  more offense.

Offline esoteric

Pitcher or Power Hitter?
« Reply #4: July 09, 2005, 11:00:20 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
First, if the team starts losing, Franks *concerns* wont be worth a horses patoot. Second, any player acquired, he he a hitter or pitcher, would melt in to the comradeship and chemistry that the team has already, so again, that *concern* is horse hockey. Third, it would be nuts to think, no matter who was acquired, that they wouldn't be thrilled at coming to a contending and that would result in *added enthusiasm* being present in the locker room and on the bench, so again regarded those *concerns* poppycock. Fourth, the real reason Frank is *concerned* is that adding a player might mean he loses one or two of *his boys* (ie Willie or Willie Cordero). All Frank cares about is his *image*, hell say he's there to win, but he never showed that in the three years he was in Montreal, why all of a sudden does anyone think he's changed because he's in DC?

Hmm...I take it you're not a fan of Frank Robinson as manager.  Since it's been years and a lifetime's worth of change and maturity since last I saw him as manager (that would be with the O's circa '89-90), care to explain the intensity of your feeling here?  Or are we veering wildly off-topic?  Dunno if I want to create a thread devoted to bashing the manager; after all, this isn't a Red Sox message board.  :wink: