Author Topic: Thoughts about the 2005 draft  (Read 3970 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

Thoughts about the 2005 draft
« Topic Start: July 07, 2005, 11:11:03 AM »
Do you think, the nationals had a good overall draft?

I think, they drafted good batters but the draft was weak while talking about pitchers.

Maxwell is very injury prone but he stays heatlhy..we've a gem in our hands.He was a force for Maryland before getting injured...he seems to be a five tool player and according to many articles he's great defensively and has gooood speed.

Delaughter seems like a nice project...

Spradlin and Estrada.....we'll have to see.

Any thoughts?

I think, Guzman for a second round pick was a bad trade.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #1: July 07, 2005, 01:10:12 PM »
I think they actually did pretty well. With 14 of their top 15 choices signed (#2 pick, Justin Maxwell has yet to sign) and 17 or their top 20, all the new blood in the Nats farm system will force the players already there to raise their game and the Nats will be better overall because of it. But time will tell if 2005 was a good draft year or not.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #2: August 16, 2005, 05:36:47 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I think they actually did pretty well. With 14 of their top 15 choices signed (#2 pick, Justin Maxwell has yet to sign) and 17 or their top 20, all the new blood in the Nats farm system will force the players already there to raise their game and the Nats will be better overall because of it. But time will tell if 2005 was a good draft year or not.

Nice post.I agree.

Hardball in DC

« Reply #3: August 17, 2005, 06:31:52 AM »
John Howell, Mike Daniel and Dee Brown have been performing pretty well at Short Season Vermont.

Howell 363/403/487 3HR 17RBI in 29G
Brown 283/342/484 8HR 32RBI in 47G
Daniel 273/337/381 2HR 17RBI 6/11 SB in 48G

Though all of them need to work on their plate discipline.

Howell 9BB 20K
Brown 12BB 56K
Daniel 16BB 45K

natslive

« Reply #4: August 17, 2005, 06:53:54 AM »
I rely on the opinions in Baseball America to evaluate the players. I have read about Estrada, Shefka and Spradlin and think those were good picks.

We have seen Zimmerman and think he will be a solid third baseman maybe as early as next year. I asked Zimmerman if he could play shortstop and he said he would play wherever they told him. With the lack of talent in the pipeline I wonder if that would be an option.

Maxwell was a good pick but a tough sign since he has one more year of eligibility and wants money. We have seen him play and think he could be a very good player (obviously so did the Nats or they would not have drafted him).

I am happy that MLB decided to spend some money this time and the selections were good. Great to see them active in the foreign market signing Frank Cruz.

The Braves might have had the best draft in the division but I don?t think they gained or lost ground with their other division rivals although losing the 2nd and 3rd round picks because of the need to fill holes hurts. As many know the Nats success on the field in the future will be determined by how they recruit and develop talent.

With Maxwell I give it a B without a C+.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: August 17, 2005, 08:36:23 AM »
Karen, as one who doesn't really follow the minor league prospects too much, I still am interested and enjoy your thoughtful and thorough posts on the subject.  Keep up the good work!

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #6: August 17, 2005, 12:10:58 PM »
We gave a second round pick for Guzman and we also gave him a monster contract.

We should have keep this second round pick.

:cry:

Hardball in DC

« Reply #7: August 17, 2005, 01:17:39 PM »
Second round pick went to the Rockies for Vinny.  Third round pick to Twins for Guzman.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #8: August 17, 2005, 01:40:35 PM »
Quote from: "Hardball in DC"
Second round pick went to the Rockies for Vinny.  Third round pick to Twins for Guzman.

Who do you think, in the 2005 draft, will become a special player beside Ryan ZImmerman, of course. :P

I dunno but Dee Brown and Howell are old for the New York Penn league.

I think, alot of players we drafted in this draft have alot of potential like Maxwell, Delaughter, Howell and Brown.Estrada is having some problems to adjust to the New York Penn league.

Hardball in DC

« Reply #9: August 17, 2005, 03:54:15 PM »
There is really no way of knowing until a few years down the road.  Guys who are struggling right now may need time to adapt to improved competition/wood bats/travelling/etc while guys who start out hot may have their weaknesses exploited as they move through the system.  Its at this point, we may want to review the 2003 draft class and turn a closer eye to the 2004 class rather than set too high expectations for the 2005 class

Hardball in DC

« Reply #10: August 17, 2005, 03:57:12 PM »
Quote from: "Ryan Zimmerman"
I dunno but Dee Brown and Howell are old for the New York Penn league.

I'd definitely hold off judgement there until next year.  Given they were 9th/10th round picks, it's no surprise they were not thrust into even Low A Savannah from the start.  Give them the year in Vermont and reserve judgement until you see where their performance puts them next year.  If they repeat in Vermont it's a sign they may not have as high a ceiling as the Nats would hope but if they move up the farm chain, it calls for closer attention.

Ryan Zimmerman

« Reply #11: August 17, 2005, 06:53:49 PM »
Quote from: "Hardball in DC"
There is really no way of knowing until a few years down the road.  Guys who are struggling right now may need time to adapt to improved competition/wood bats/travelling/etc while guys who start out hot may have their weaknesses exploited as they move through the system.  Its at this point, we may want to review the 2003 draft class and turn a closer eye to the 2004 class rather than set too high expectations for the 2005 class

Completley agree.We can't  know with prospects.Most of them come of colleges and hadn't hit with wooden bats.I think, in 2, 3 years, we'll know down the road if the 2005 draft class was good.I never get excited about the prospects do at rookie ball but  I rather look at what they do in a long season (like in Savanna or A advanced)The 2004 draft looks solid with Bray already in New Orleans.Desmond seems to be a promising prospect he lacks plate discipline but has nice tools.He's still 19 and will need more time to Potomac.San Pedro has been disturbed by injuries and is on the dl.He also has been rushed, it's not quite idea to do that to prospects.Though, he struggled in GCL and in Savannah.Lowrance had a good year in Vermont and is producing in Savannah pretty decently.

We drafted Cordero (who's the leader in saves in the MLB), Kory Casto, Baez, Whitesell....looking good.