Author Topic: Josh Whitesell  (Read 2009 times)

Offline ronnynat

Josh Whitesell
« Topic Start: July 23, 2007, 10:53:54 PM »
OK, why isn't this guy getting called up? He's 25, and in his league he's 2nd in OBP (.418), he's top 5 in homers (16), and he's top 5 in SLG (.516). What are we waiting for? He's not getting younger and he's by far the best first baseman in our system right now. You can't let a player like that go to waste when you really DO have a need at that position. Fick gives us nothing more than Whitesell can. We've got all other positions filled and w/ backups. Dmitri can stay there for the time being, but we at least need a better backup that can hit. I just don't get it. If it's an options thing, give him a shot now and see if he's got what it takes! OK, I'm done.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: Josh Whitesell
« Reply #1: July 23, 2007, 11:23:43 PM »
OK, why isn't this guy getting called up? He's 25, and in his league he's 2nd in OBP (.418), he's top 5 in homers (16), and he's top 5 in SLG (.516). What are we waiting for?

What's your hurry, don't you like Dmitri Young at first? Just because a player is doing well in Double-A, doesn't always mean he'll do even half as well at the Major League level. Besides, the Nats don't need another first baseman, at least not yet.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: July 23, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »
What's your hurry, don't you like Dmitri Young at first? Just because a player is doing well in Double-A, doesn't always mean he'll do even half as well at the Major League level. Besides, the Nats don't need another first baseman, at least not yet.

I'm a big fan of giving a guy a shot that's 25 and possibly having his best year. Give him the experience, whether as a backup OR starter when Dmitri's moved, and see if it carries over. There's no harm in it. Plus, I think just about everyone would rather have a young guy with pop and an eye in there over Fick.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: July 23, 2007, 11:54:11 PM »
Yea, bring him up when he's not really needed, that's a smart move... Get that clock started for him, and if by some misfortune the Nats have to remove him form the 40-man roster, if they lose him in the rule 5 draft, that's perfectly OK.

With all the other talent in the system just as good, better and younger than he is, why move him ahead of the other prospects? Two and a half years in A ball, and now in his second year at Double-A, maybe the Nats know something we don't and that's why he's not been talked about. I'm not overly keen on anyone who progresses that slow, and 25 for AA, is getting up there.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: July 24, 2007, 12:00:30 AM »
With all the other talent in the system just as good, better and younger than he is, why move him ahead of the other prospects?

Who's the younger, better talent at 1B?

Two and a half years in A ball, and now in his second year at Double-A, maybe the Nats know something we don't and that's why he's not been talked about. I'm not overly keen on anyone who progresses that slow, and 25 for AA, is getting up there.

This is exactly why he should be given a shot now, while he's doing so well. Yes, 25 IS getting up there, but come on, he's 25! Wasn't that Ryan Howard's age as well when he came up? My point is that he's doing well enough to warrant a call-up...at least to replace Fick and give us power off the bench.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: July 24, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »
Whitesell is benefiting by playing every day, it does him no good to come to the majors to sit on our bench.  Nats have to maintain their focus, in preparing for 2008 and beyond.  Whitesell will get his chance, but for now he's where he belongs.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #6: July 26, 2007, 07:37:32 PM »
I think he should be called up to AAA.  He'd be an upgrade over Broadway.

Offline natsdad

« Reply #7: August 01, 2007, 05:13:47 PM »
I'll take Larry Broadway any day.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: August 01, 2007, 05:15:11 PM »
I'll take Larry Broadway any day.
You can have him.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #9: August 01, 2007, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #10: August 02, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
Broadway was known for his power, then he shows up in ST with absolutely none of it?  Appaling, he's not our solution.