Author Topic: Gameday Thread Double-Header: Nationals @ Phillies Gms 2, 4  (Read 22501 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Day Game

Nationals (63-56)

Tony Armas, RHP (7-5, 4.33)

Armas, who has given up just one run in his last 11 innings, will face the Phillies for the 11th time in his career. Armas is 5-3 with a 4.76 ERA against them. In his last start, Armas pitched six shutout innings as the Nationals blanked the Rockies, 8-0.

Phillies (64-56)

Vicente Padilla, RHP (5-11, 4.65)

Padilla continues to be the team's best pitcher since a July 6 start against Pittsburgh. His 1.94 ERA over a seven-start stretch is only clouded by the lack of run support that has kept him from winning. He's 2-3 over that span.

Starting Lineups:
Code: [Select]
Starting Lineups
No. Washington         Philadelphia
1  Brad Wilkerson, LF       Jimmy Rollins, SS
2  Jose Vidro, 2B        Kenny Lofton, CF
3  Nick Johnson, 1B         Chase Utley, 2B
4  Jose Guillen, RF         Bobby Abreu, RF
5  Preston Wilson, CF       Pat Burrell, LF
6  Vinny Castilla, 3B       Ryan Howard, 1B
7  Gary Bennett, C          Mike Lieberthal, C
8  Cristian Guzman, SS      Tomas Perez, 3B
9  Tony Armas, P            Vincente Padilla, P

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Night Game

Nationals (63-56)

Ryan Drese, RHP (7-12, 5.67)

Drese pitched 1/3 of an inning against the Phillies on Tuesday before the game was postponed because if rain. Drese will face the Phillies for the third time this season. He is 1-1 with a 10.57 ERA against them. In his last official start, Drese gave up six runs -- five earned -- over 5 1/3 innings as the Astros defeated the Nationals, 6-3.

Phillies (64-56)

Cory Lidle, RHP (9-10, 4.61)

Lidle returns from pitching a scoreless inning in Tuesday's rain-shortened game. He allowed four runs -- three earned -- in five innings against the Dodgers in his previous outing on Aug. 11. He was more upset with issuing six walks, his highest total since 2001.

Starting Lineups:
TBA

Offline PC

Both of these are winnable games and we need them both.  We can move ahead of both the Phillies and the Astros with a sweep in these games.  And we'd win the series, as a result.

Jerspos

we need both of these badly

Offline sportsfan882

u guys think we can really take both with armas and drese starting?.. I hope we take both, but realistically see us splitting the doubleheader and the series..

letsgonats91

Nats-Just Win, Baby!

Oh wait, wrong team.

But we need these games, badly. I don't know about you all, but I would really lilke to see this team go to the playoffs.

Offline Dave B

I believe in Drese. He's not that bad. He has been victimized by errors and ground balls that find their way through.  Aside from Berkman and the poke 3 run triple to Ausmus (which came after the error, although I dont think all 3 runs were unearned), he wasnt hit hard.  Although he tends to fall behind hitters.  He has not been as hit or miss lately.  It has been almost misses with bad breaks.  

Armas last outing was odd. He got a lot of breaks. You could argue he made his breaks, but balls still needed to be hit at people. Nonetheless, i think he has been getting better each time. He just needs to not let things get to him.  

If they could just to be "on" consistently.  They both dont respond well to adversity. They need some early run support.

Need good first innings to keep lofton and rollins off base

Jerspos

I say to win both games we will need 5 runs each game that should do it hopefully

and were gonna need to get at least 5 innings out of our starters

Offline Dave B

I'm feeling Guillen today

Jerspos

Quote from: "Dave B"
I'm feeling Guillen today

were gonna need him and some other bats

Offline Dave B

at least it was a 28 pitch first inning. from the pitch dots, it looked like he had good control, though. he threw about 5 pitches in the same spot to guillen and same with johnson

Jerspos

no big deal we just have to get a quick first inning on defense

Offline Dave B

i dont normally watch the gameday thing, but I'm guessing there are gong to be a lot of red swinging strike dots from wilson on balls low and away not in the strikezone (breaking balls albeit). i sont know why billy wagner threw him all those fastballs last night. he  could have saved himself some effort throwing the slider 5 pitches earlier

Jerspos

just need wins today man forget yesterday

Jerspos

armas has no control all of this garbage can't happen with 2 outs

Offline Dave B

crap armas

Jerspos

Jerspos

BIG HUGE K

Offline Dave B

way to throw an extra 15 pitches.  did he set himself up in a jam to prove to frank he can get out of it, knowing frank cant pull him in the first inning? hopefully that sucks the air out of the phillies

Jerspos

I hope so

Offline Dave B

guzman is gonna come up with people on.  does he have it in him?

Jerspos

bases loaded common just score a run I don;t care how

Jerspos

please don't strike out

Ryan Zimmerman

Quote from: "Jerspos"
bases loaded common just score a run I don;t care how

Bases loaded, 0 out if we don't get a run, I"m gonna so explose.

Ryan Zimmerman

Run scoring play  :shock:

Rbi single for Guzman, what is this guy eatin these days?  :shock: