Author Topic: Jim Bowden's Examiner Column, July 7th  (Read 1830 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Jim Bowden's Examiner Column, July 7th
« Topic Start: July 07, 2005, 09:30:16 AM »
http://www.dcexaminer.com/articles/2005/07/07/columns_sports/jim_bowden/92bowden.txt

Two All-Stars? Not enough
By Jim Bowden
Published: Wednesday, July 6, 2005 11:46 PM EDT
E-mail this story | Print this page

Washington Nationals General Manager

The omission of Jose Guillen from the All-Star Game is a joke. Besides Derrek Lee of the Cubs, Jose is probably the second-most valuable player in the National League in the first half of the season. Without his leadership, clutch hitting and great defense, the Nationals would not sit atop the National League East.

The rest of baseball recognizes what Jose has done. But this All-Star Game snub is ridiculous. He might not have the most powerful numbers and might not be the most popular player. I understand why the fans didn't vote him in.

But the fact he wasn't selected by NL manager Tony LaRussa is just wrong. Managers have their own fraternity and possibly Jose's omission is related to past events with Angels manager Mike Scioscia. We know the history: The Angels cut Jose last year near the end of the season despite strong numbers; and of course, there was the incident last month in Anaheim.

Those instances should not affect what's done on the field and what Jose has meant to this team. Nick Johnson has had a breakout year and he, too, should have been an All-Star. We've won more than 50 games and we're on pace to win 100. A team in that situation should have more than two representatives. The Cardinals will have six in the All-Star Game. If we're a last place team like the Rockies and the Reds, I would understand. But not when you're in first place and have the second-best record in the entire league.

I'm very proud of Livan Hernandez's first half. He has become a No. 1 starter and certainly deserved his All-Star selection. He has never won 20 games in his career, but if he stays healthy this year he'll finally do it. What I'm more concerned about are his starts in October.

Chad Cordero has had his breakout year. We all knew he'd develop into a good closer. But no one foresaw he would become an Eric Gagne or Trevor Hoffman, a dominant closer. Congrats to our scouting director, Dana Brown, who was highly criticized when he selected Cordero in the first round. Now we're looking at an All-Star closer who has had a major impact on the Nationals' first half.

Still, we should have more players in this game.

Fans should vote for who they want, and their input is important. However, the process does not work correctly. The best players don't always play. The 30 general managers and 30 managers should select the teams. If we're going to trust the GMs and managers to select each major league team, then they're the ones to make the right decisions for Major League Baseball.

Read with caution

It's amazing trade discussions with other GMs somehow leak to the media. After reading several articles in the last week, the thing that shocked me more than any other year is that most of the rumors written about the Nationals have been accurate.

There are many instances where this can hurt our chances to make a trade. Sometimes we're working on a trade that no one knows about and then someone reads an article about someone we're pursuing. Then they jump in because they didn't know that player was available and now there's more competition. It's also hurtful if the players rumored to be traded hear about it or read about it. I've seen many players go in the tank because of this. That's why I've always believed it's better if it's between GM and GM.

I'll say this: I'm keeping notes about all of my trade discussions so the readers of The Examiner will get all of the details that no one else will have on our next major trade.

As we head to the All-Star break, we've been very active in discussions. Right now, if we're healthy we have enough talent to win. But if we can add a pitcher and a bat before July 31, this team will prove the first half was for real.

Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden provides an exclusive column to The Examiner each week, ranging on topics from the Nats to the state of Major League Baseball.

As told to Examiner correspondent

John Keim.

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #1: July 07, 2005, 12:30:28 PM »
good read...

should be interesting to see how much of what bowden says is true, and what these major trades will be.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: July 07, 2005, 02:39:41 PM »
Excellent article... And a very good read. I like that Jim keeps notes, that he will eventually share with Examiner readers. It will be interesting, to say the least, to read about the discussions that took place is some of the rumored deals we have all been hearing about.

Diehard_Nationals_Fan

« Reply #3: July 11, 2005, 01:57:09 PM »
Thanks!  Great read.  I can understand his frustration with the Allstar slection process, with the NL teams manager, and with the media.  Im glad hes not afraid to come right out and call people out that deserve it.

Should be interesting to see what happens on the trade front the remainder of this month.  

I personally think things are going to get better.  Im almost in a way glad we hit somewhat of a sizeable bump in the road BEFORE the break because as we have all seen happen in the past, the second half some teams will totally FLOP.  Im hoping that this bump will be enough to spur them on so that does not happen.   With key players out, and others stepping up, its been an insanely good first half.  I think with things  coming together, the second half can be even better!

BigGameHunter32

« Reply #4: July 11, 2005, 08:58:58 PM »
He's right...we should have at least 3, if not 4 on the allstar team.

But at the same time, it is sort of in keeping with the team's nature to have few "allstar" players and yet be a scrappy ballclub leading the division.