Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 2 (Postponed)  (Read 18604 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
MLB OFFICIAL RULEBOOK:

SUSPENDED GAMES. (a) A league shall adopt the following rules providing for completion at a future date of games terminated for any of the following reasons: (1) A curfew imposed by law; (2) A time limit permissible under league rules; (3) Light failure or malfunction of a mechanical field device under control of the home club. (Mechanical field device shall include automatic tarpaulin or water removal equipment). (4) Darkness, when a law prevents the lights from being turned on. (5) Weather, if the game is called while an inning is in progress and before it is completed, and one of the following situations prevails: (i) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to tie the score, and the home team has not scored. (ii) The visiting team has scored one or more runs to take the lead, and the home team has not tied the score or retaken the lead. (b) Such games shall be known as suspended games. No game called because of a curfew, weather, or a time limit shall be a suspended game unless it has progressed far enough to have been a regulation game under the provisions of Rule 4.10. A game called under the provisions of 4.12(a), (3) or (4) shall be a suspended game at any time after it starts. NOTE: Weather and similar conditions_4.12 (a) (1 through 5)_shall take precedence in determining whether a called game shall be a suspended game. A game can only be considered a suspended game if stopped for any of the five (5) reasons specified in Section (a). Any regulation game called due to weather with the score tied (unless situation outlined in 4.12 (a) (5) (i) prevails) is a tie game and must be replayed in its entirety. (c) A suspended game shall be resumed and completed as follows: (1) Immediately preceding the next scheduled single game between the two clubs on the same grounds; or (2) Immediately preceding the next scheduled doubleheader between the two clubs on the same grounds, if no single game remains on the schedule; or (3) If suspended on the last scheduled date between the two clubs in that city, transferred and played on the grounds of the opposing club, if possible; (i) Immediately preceding the next scheduled single game, or (ii) Immediately preceding the next scheduled doubleheader, if no single game remains on the schedule. (4) If a suspended game has not been resumed and completed on the last date scheduled for the two clubs, it shall be a called game. (d) A suspended game shall be resumed at the exact point of suspension of the original game. The completion of a suspended game is a continuation of the original game. The lineup and batting order of both teams shall be exactly the same as the lineup and batting order at the moment of suspension, subject to the rules governing substitution. Any player may be replaced by a player who had not been in the game prior to the suspension. No player removed before the suspension may be returned to the lineup. A player who was not with the club when the game was suspended may be used as a substitute, even if he has taken the place of a player no longer with the club who would not have been eligible because he had been removed from the lineup before the game was suspended. If immediately prior to the call of a suspended game, a substitute pitcher has been announced but has not retired the side or pitched until the batter becomes a baserunner, such pitcher, when the suspended game is later resumed may, but is not required to start the resumed portion of the game. However, if he does not start he will be considered as having been substituted for and may not be used in that game. (e) Rain checks will not be honored for any regulation or suspended game which has progressed to or beyond a point of play described in 4.10 (c).

Offline PC

The White Sox - Red Sox game from Sunday was postponed in the fourth inning and when the game is replayed they start from the beginning.  I'm sure our game tomorrow will start 0-0, top of the first.

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox are playing so well that even when they stumble they catch a break.

Boston's six-game winning streak remained intact when Sunday's game against the White Sox was postponed after two rain delays, the second lasting 3 hours, 46 minutes. That wiped from the books Chicago's 5-2 lead with one out -- and two on -- in the top of the fourth.

"It's disappointing to not get this one in," White Sox catcher Chris Widger said. "We ran into a red hot team that's swinging the bats well and they're playing well at home."

Red Sox starter Matt Clement allowed five runs on eight hits and a walk, striking out two before the game was called. Clement, who started the season 9-1 and made the AL All-Star team, has won just once since July 6.

"You wipe the slate clean. It's probably a good feeling for him," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "He caught a break. And good for him."

No makeup date was announced.

Offline rileyn

Quote from: "Senators2005"
Quote from: "rileyn"
Quote from: "Senators2005"
I'm almost positive that you start from the point the game was called with everything counting.  Kind of like coming back to a chess table after you have left it mid-game.

I'm almost positive that we start a brand new ball game.  0-0. Play ball!!!

I'm 99.9% sure though!  :P   What if you broke a major league record in the 3rd inning of a rain postponed game.  Are you telling me that the record would be erased just because of rain?  I doubt that very seriously.

I'm telling you.  Erase tonights inning from your memory completely.  According to the record books it never happened.  A brand new game will start Thursday at 1:05 and the score will be 0-0.  Brad Wilkerson will be up and proceed to strike out and then we go from there.  

Trust me on this one.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
You are right...a suspended game only happens with the situations I highlighted in the rulebook entry I just posted.

Offline PC

Now the question is will Drese start?

tomwaits

Quote from: "PC"

i doubt it

Offline rileyn

Quote from: "PC"

As much as I hate to see it, I think he could go in that game.  Hopefully Loaiza can give at least 7 innings tomorrow or Thursday could be a long day.  Conversely, maybe this could be out chance to beat up on the Phillies bullpen a little bit.

Is there anybody in AAA that may be able to pitch Thursday?  I really don't see us going that route, but with Sunny Kim gone who else is there?

Jerspos

BRAND NEW GAME

ARMAS DURING THE DAY

DRESE AT NIGHT